Starting from scratch

scout24

Flashaholic
Either a G2 or 6P. An HDS, coin toss between Rotary and Clicky. McG Mule. (Walked the pups tonight with a G2 w/ Malkoff M60LL. I had all but forgotten I had that module... :ohgeez: :whoopin: Did everything I needed it to do, with 10 hours constant output, IIRC.)

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Either a G2 or 6P. An HDS, coin toss between Rotary and Clicky. McG Mule. (Walked the pups tonight with a G2 w/ Malkoff M60LL. I had all but forgotten I had that module... :ohgeez: :whoopin: Did everything I needed it to do, with 10 hours constant output, IIRC.)

10 hours was the stated output, but I seem to remember someone getting 18 hours of full output in a runtime test. Man I miss my M60ll's!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Scout, for my 2nd light I'd be torn between a M61 NL or WLL in a yellow G2. (With a wrist lanyard of course)

For me it's easily another Tekna Splash-Lite. I carried one for over 30 years, and now with a warm white , L222 led lamp it's still a favorite of mine.

Very interesting choice. The pre-SureFire era backup cop light. Interesting indeed.

Last edited:

matt4350

Enlightened
I've found a G2 with an M61WL does a a good job of most everything I need, that would be my first light I must get back. Feels good, looks good, works good. I put nailbender's xml2 dropin I bought a couple years back in it, just for fun, and the thing performs hi/low like a champ.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Despite its drop in popularity (according to Oveready) I still think the P60 system is the way to go base product for any serious flahlight user.
May the format last a good long time yet.
P

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Despite its drop in popularity (according to Oveready) I still think the P60 system is the way to go base product for any serious flahlight user.
May the format last a good long time yet.
P

The P60 is like the Converse All Star or Vans slip on sneakers... perhaps the Wrangler of jeans or pin stripe suit. Maybe it aint as popular as it was in its peak, but will be viable for a long long time.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lots of neat light tech I'd be interested in, but I'd start with a ZL H600w or H600Fw, H style pocket clip for it, and an Emisar D1 XPL-HI neutral emitter.

There's two compact and powerful lights with good range of levels, both 18650, one floody with a head strap and pocket clip, the other a throwy hand held light that's compact for easy jacket pocket or back pocket carry.

Not counting batteries and a charger that's around 150$, maybe kind of pricy but you can see really well, for a long time, hands free, two different beam profiles cover most needs, two lights, same batteries, sturdy, compact, low mass.

Last edited:

MX421

Enlightened
Assuming all my flashlight were gone, i'd still have my batteries, right?

If so, and i only had to pick a "light" I'd go with a Zebralight Headlamp, probably the H600w. I would probably go with that anyway since i could do that again at very little cost via cells from reclaimed batteries.

If it has to be a "flashlight" (ie not a headlamp), I'd go with a P60 light, in my current mood an Elzetta bravo...but I think i'd insist on bored body the next go 'round

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
+3 for the zebralight 18650 headlamp in flavor or your choice.

With 18650 I get longer regulated runtimes, the anglehead design works for edc use or head/strap mounting.
It's slim, has low lows and turbo. Best ui imho for edc use.

cp2315

Enlightened
My number one would be surefire G2X pro for general use. Number two would be surefire 6P bored for 18650, equipped with a PFlexPro advaned programing drop in.
Third is probably EagleTec D25C Ti with nichia.
Funny I have all three of them already.

FireLite

Newly Enlightened
I would have to go with the Nitecore P12. Low cost, good features, high output and makes a great EDC.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
My priority would be a SF 6P with a Malkoff M61NL or a MD2/M61N with the high/low ring but in reality I would probably get something low cost and available locally first. Maybe a Streamlight ProTac 1L/1AA and/or a Fenix EO1.Relatively low cost lights I can buy locally that could serve EDC and utility functions while I rebuilt my "user" collection. Of course the chances of me ending up with no lights are probably less than zero but there should be some good insights for someone starting out in this thread.

LGT

Enlightened
My first buy would be my edc, a ZL SC63w, which replaced my SC62w which replaced any of my five HDS lights.
The low settings are ideal for looking for something in the cab of my bucket truck (electric co.) at night, and the high settings are good for following the lines through the woods on long, dark, country driveways.
My second light would be my thrower, an armytek barracuda, nice throw from a $120 light.

Hugh Johnson

Enlightened
1. Zebralight SC5
2. Zebralight with 18650 and XHP
3. Convoy C8 XPL Hi or L6
4. Thrower. ie. TN42
5. Headlamp. Thrunite TH20.

Boris74

Newly Enlightened
I did this earlier this year and recently finished. SMini or S1R as everyday user and a MT10A as my pistol companion when I carry light. HL-X for serious Light needs work. Couple nitecore TIPs for keychains. My stable of daily users was wearing out so I literally started from scratch. Usually happens every 10 years or so. Streamlight 1L-1AA x 2, one by the bed on high only and pack light is kept lo/hi. No real need for anything else. The recent influx of lights will prob motivate the wife and family to get me something for the holidays though lol, we shall see.

YMark

Newly Enlightened
I'd opt for the ArmyTec Elf C2. Compact and versatile. Can carry in your pocket, and use as a headlamp. Another plus is it can run off a battery pack.

timbo813

Newly Enlightened
Probably a zebralight sc53c (current edc)
Possibly a zebralight sc64w (my next purchase)

Tough to beat the size, quality, and interface.

GRAY LITNIN

Newly Enlightened
If i sold all my lights to get through a financial crisis, the first light i would buy is the convoy s2+, that would handle most all my uses till i saved up and researched the latest and greatest components and i would truly "START FROM SCRATCH", building my collection of lights one piece at a time. The S2+ would probably be the first one to get gutted to fit my needs better.

Unless an elzetta catches my eye!