Still looking for perfect night time walking flashlight - Olight Warrior Mini is not

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
My latest flashlight purchase is the Olight Warrior Mini. It's a nice light, certainly the 500 lumens on high is almost always sufficient without the need for 1500 lumen turbo mode but still with a very pronounced hotspot cutoff, still not a very good walking light for my purposes. Good for seeing what is on the fence on the other side of the yard but not so good for providing wide illumination for the 20 feet in front of you. When using it to walk at night, I still feel like I'm walking in a tunnel. I'm looking for a light, hopefully rechargeable and can slip in a pocket, with still a hotspot but with a nice gradual "orange peel" like cut off that will provide wider illumination with more gradual falloff for the first 20 feet in front of you, even if sacrificing throw. Does such a light exist?

County

Newly Enlightened
I really like my Surefire Fury Intellibeam Dual-Fuel for walks, and it seems to meet most of the parameters you described. . downsides are that sometimes it truly is too bright, inability to lock it on a lower output, and that it's pricey. But, I keep coming back to it as my choice walk-light for having a nice combination of broad beam but also decent throwing hotspot. . it gives me full situational awareness in a reasonably small and lightweight package.

340pd

Newly Enlightened
Malkoff MD2 with hi/lo switch. I use one every day. I prefer the warm white.

Last edited:

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
My kids walk with either the ZL SC700d or ZL SC64c LE. The SC64c LE has a wider and smoother spill profile than either the MD2 M61 or the HDS SDR50. The SC700d spills wider than the SC64c LE, but has more pronounced rings (against a white wall). Only issue with the MD2 High/Low is that in an urban/suburban residential environment, Low may not be able to overcome sections of your walk where there is just enough light pollution but not enough overall light to properly gauge obstacles. Hence, you may be forced to stay on High for the duration of the walk. We try to stay dark adapted as much as possible during walks, using only what we need to identify and be identified (i.e strobe through intersections). Even so, the SO still prefers the MD2 w/ crenellated bezel and tricap for use as a potential self-defense tool during walks (using momentary to strobe through intersections).

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
My latest flashlight purchase is the Olight Warrior Mini. It's a nice light, certainly the 500 lumens on high is almost always sufficient without the need for 1500 lumen turbo mode but still with a very pronounced hotspot cutoff, still not a very good walking light for my purposes. Good for seeing what is on the fence on the other side of the yard but not so good for providing wide illumination for the 20 feet in front of you. When using it to walk at night, I still feel like I'm walking in a tunnel. I'm looking for a light, hopefully rechargeable and can slip in a pocket, with still a hotspot but with a nice gradual "orange peel" like cut off that will provide wider illumination with more gradual falloff for the first 20 feet in front of you, even if sacrificing throw. Does such a light exist?

The reflector texture won't IMO alter the width of the beam. An op reflector will provide more of a blurred or less contrasted hotspot to spill beam (corona). But this can vary depending on the exact LED and size of the reflector to how much of this effect you get. An op reflector can also aid in removing some artefacts from the beam. But it won't impact cut off or width of beam.

I suppose the question is, what are you wanting to achieve from the beam. I'm not 100% sure based on your info above.

The Olight Mini is not likely a thrower by any means. Although I don't have one to compare. It does look to be using a TIR optic, depending on the spec of the optic and how it is setup, it might offer quite a tight hot spot and a bright but fairly narrow spill beam. A different degree optic would change the beam profile or even a normal reflector.

In terms of TIR optics. You can buy these, although I doubt they would be easy to swap out on the Olight.

The Convoy S2+ however these are pretty easy to change.

e.g.

https://www.banggood.com/Convoy-S2+....html?cur_warehouse=CN&ID=511610&rmmds=search

Something like the above in a nice neutral white (T6)

And grab the optional lens kit: https://www.banggood.com/DIY-Convoy....html?cur_warehouse=CN&ID=534735&rmmds=search

That way you can have a play and see how the different optics compare. Plus also the reflector in the standard light (which is shallow and small, so good for a wide flood and bright spill beam).

While I think the TIR optics above would work well, here is an example of what I think you are experiencing.

Here are two tube lights (tan one is a Convoy S2+ and the black one a BLF A6). Both have the same LED, an XP-L.
kZThd68h.jpg

The tan S2+ is running a TIR optic, but one that tightly focuses the beam. I think it might be a 10 degree one (its one I had from another project and just fitted to this light). The black A6 is using an op reflector. Importantly the heads are the same size on these.

And here is the difference in beam.

S2+ with the TIR on the left ---- A6 with the reflector on the right
1jTg1SOh.jpg

As you can see. The hotspot is about the same size on both lights and similar intensity. The real difference is the spill beam. With this particular TIR optic, the spill beam is very narrow but bright. With the reflector the spill beam is much wider and maybe 4 times the size or more. But is generally a lot less bright.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thrunite T2 or tt20 are a pretty balanced beam, I believe most models are also offered in neutral white

id30209

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thrunite T2 with GT-FC40 emitter is my EDC past one week. Small enough and powerfull.
Beam reminds me of Surefire E1E, intense hotspot and broad spill.
I'm using for everyday night walk and work.
d8781e8d2b2c6ccee4ebe944ada7ed3f.jpg

Sent from Tapatalk

Last edited:

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
Elzetta Bravo good lantern for walking, very evenly illuminates the road and surroundings if shine parallel to the ground. True 650 lumens may seem a little small compared to modern light sources and other reflectors with 650-700 lumens, as due to the more even distribution of light it looks like a light with a reflector at 350-400 lumens in hotspot. If you wait next year, they promise more powerful lights.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
The best solution I've found is to use TWO lights. First, a good medium floody headlamp for closeup walking, and then a handheld medium thrower for more distant viewing. Having two lights is always a good idea anyway, in case one of the lights fail. Just a thought.

wweiss

Enlightened
The best solution I've found is to use TWO lights. First, a good medium floody headlamp for closeup walking, and then a handheld medium thrower for more distant viewing. Having two lights is always a good idea anyway, in case one of the lights fail. Just a thought.

Agreed. One flooder and one thrower AND an HDS as the third rail.

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
We use an X70 [with the XHP35 turned off] for woods and trail walking.

In the past we've used Malkoff Wildcats, K60s, TK75s, TN40s and more. But find the X70s color temp and massive wall of flood to be the best in the woods. We tend to use it most on low or ultra-low and with that the battery lasts forever and a day.

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast

Try putting a piece of Scotch tape over the lens. I actually bought an Olight branded diffuser lens for another light but it fits over the end of the Mini, just won't stay there on it's own. Anyway...I would say that using a diffuser will likely give you the beam you are looking for from it.