streamlight seige lantern

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey peeps again,

Just found something awesome you may want to try if you have or get one of these streamlight seige lanterns.

Gillette makes a shaving gel/cream called hydragel and it has an orange mostly translucent cap. That cap can sit very well on top of the clear "dome" inside the streamlight seige. It will definitely reduce the brightness of the lantern a bit ( I may attempt to sand one down or poke holes into it in a uniform manner ) but it does give the lantern a more orange-y warm feel. It isn't quite big enough to perfectly go over the dome so it can slide around if you aren't careful, but if you want to leave the lantern in one place then it will be fine. Maybe I'll try to post pics of this at some point but just something to try out for yourself it you get one of these cool streamlight lanterns.

utye.jpg
<--- the cap is more translucent than this picture would make it seem

celler

Newly Enlightened
Batteryjunction has 3AA to D cell adapters in parallel so you could have a 9AA lantern and really be set

That's an interesting idea. If a standard D alkaline carries 8000 mAh and the Eneloop XX AA has 2500mAh each, then three of them in parallel should get you 7500 mAh which is not a bad trade-off if my math is correct. The adapters are pricey at $14.95 each, but this may be the solution to the D-cell blues. Anyone used these and had good luck with them?

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gillette makes a shaving gel/cream called hydragel and it has an orange mostly translucent cap. That cap can sit very well on top of the clear "dome" inside the streamlight seige. It will definitely reduce the brightness of the lantern a bit ( I may attempt to sand one down or poke holes into it in a uniform manner ) but it does give the lantern a more orange-y warm feel.

Beamshots?

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Beamshots?

I'll try to do a review of it soon. I keep meaning to do one and I guess I'll have to as nobody seems to do proper LED lantern reviews.

The cap thing only works if you aren't going to move the lantern much, but I guess you won't be moving it much. It does lessen the output a bit.

bluebonnet

Newly Enlightened
I'm going to ask Streamlight if The Siege has regulated output...just not sure. Anyone know? Answer: No, per Streamlight

Last edited:

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
C4 is Streamlight marketing baloney for "We don't want to tell the consumer what is really in there" and that is all it means.

They've been using the name for years, and it proves a continual source of frustration for those in the lighting community who really want
to know what is hiding inside.

The LED inside should not be considered some sort of trade secret. Most manufacturers/dealers brag about the brand and bin of LED. Streamlight needs to acknowledge its consumers have brains and tell us what they are using.

I completely agree with you. For example, if the latest competitor's 2xCR123A lights use a Cree XM-L2 and a Streamlight is using first gen. XM-L then the C4 term does not give that sale disadvantage away or make it obvious. I am not agreeing with it but I am guessing that the name is to simplify the moving of old stock lights but I could be wrong in their reasoning. I do think Streamlight makes/sells good products, though.

jonwkng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi sportsterchop200, I'm using mine with black AA Eneloops & AA to D adapter. Runtime, is not great, as expected. I'll probably be picking up those 3AA to D adapters in the future.

sportsterchop200

Newly Enlightened
Hi sportsterchop200, I'm using mine with black AA Eneloops & AA to D adapter. Runtime, is not great, as expected. I'll probably be picking up those 3AA to D adapters in the future.

Thanks, UST has a version that looks similar to the Streamlight but uses 6AA's. It sounds like I'm probably going that route but thanks the information.

GreySave

Enlightened
I have a number of lanterns including the Rayovac Sportsman Extreme, Coleman Qaud, and a number of cool and warm tinted AA power lanterns. The Siege is by far the best thought out product of the bunch. With its true low mode the Siege offers outstanding runtime while still providing useable light. Red mode at fairly low output as well. That long runtime is due to a great extent by the use of those three D cells. This lantern is not meant to be used for back packing. It doeds have some weight. You can always use AA cells with adapters if you wish to go that route. Diffused output on well spaced power levels is good with the least glare of any LED lantern I have this far seen. The power switch with built in power meter is well thought out and works well. Multiple hanging options. Changing batteries is FAR easier than any other LED lantern I own or have seen. The Rayovac looks and feels a bit more durable and robust, but the Siege is not all that far behind. Yes, it is a bit pricey compared to the Rayovac, but if you want that low output mode with the long run time this is about the only candidate out there. If you do not need the long runtime the Rayovac wins via its price point.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I posted this in a recommendation thread, but thought it was relevant to post here as well:

I received the Streamlight Seige lantern on Saturday 3/22.

So far I really like it. The exterior is mostly rubberized so it is easy to grip and certainly won't slip when you set it down, even on a slick surface. Very lightweight since it only uses 3D batteries (I was used to my Coleman CFL Lantern that took 8 D batteries!). The light output has ample diffusion so it's very soft and has wide coverage with no lines or dark spots.

It is a cool tint, but not necessarily harsh in my opinion. Runtime is ridiculous: 30 hours on high, almost 3 days on medium, and 12 days on low. The red is nice if you're going to use it while hunting or camping and don't want to disturb other people or game in the area. The battery life indicator LED is pretty cool too.

You can remove the globe and hang it upside down for lamp-style illumination, but I don't know how often I'll use that feature. The grab handle/hook is rubberized as well, and it also has carabiner-style clips on the top and bottom for many different hanging options.

I only have 3 lanterns (Kelty 3xAA, Coleman CFL 8xD, and now this Streamlight) but it is already my favorite. Seems like it'll be a nice all around package. I'm very happy with this for $37.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone conducted a runtime test using AA Eneloops in D adapters in the seige? I'm curious as to the difference in runtime/regulation (if there is any regulation to begin with, which I doubt).

crazyk4952

Newly Enlightened
Runtime vs brightness

I am wondering if anyone has compiled a graph of runtime vs brightness. Since this lantern is not regulated, the brightness will decline as the voltage drops in the batteries.

If they are using ANSI methods of determining runtime, then at the end of the 30-hour rated runtime, the light output will be less than 10% of the original output.

Frankly, the lack of a regulated output is what is keeping me from purchasing this (otherwise) awesome looking lantern.

rtginc

Newly Enlightened
Re: Runtime vs brightness

Wow, I know that there is a conflict of interest here, but products like this are exactly why we rolled our own. Holding the power button to cycle through different modes? That's got to be a joke right?

Also, why not just offer the same color lighting at lower lumens? Seems like it would be simple.. if only there was another way..

yowzer

Enlightened

I've been using one of these for a few days, and it's pretty nice. I would prefer a warmer tint, and it's not as good at lighting up an open area as a propane Coleman lantern... But I can use it inside a tent, and the runtime is excellent, and the lantern itself is well built. No regrets in picking one up.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast

Holding the power button to cycle through different modes? That's got to be a joke right?

Different output levels are accessed by multiple button presses. You only hold the power button to change from red to white light.