streamlight seige lantern

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes the AA looks great, quite compact, has anyone done a review of it?

Not that I've seen, but I've owned both D and AA versions and the AA version is SUPER lightweight compared to the D. I'm partial to it over the D for general use.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh man the Super Siege is 130 bucks? Nope. I love my D version. Sure it can't go nearly as bright, but 300ish lumens is plenty for most things and honestly the lower modes are probably better for complete dark situations anyway. The AA version is pretty cool. Wish I owned one.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh man the Super Siege is 130 bucks? Nope. I love my D version. Sure it can't go nearly as bright, but 300ish lumens is plenty for most things and honestly the lower modes are probably better for complete dark situations anyway. The AA version is pretty cool. Wish I owned one.

Personally I would buy a AA Seige and a massive portable battery backup. You'd be around half the price of the Super Seige and have just as much utility.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup either way. You can use either simple 1AA-->D adapters or even the 3AA-->D adapters in the full size version which would give you quite a lot of output at 9 cells. Or just get rechargeable D cells like I use. Yeah, at 130 bucks the Super Seige doesn't seem worth it to me unless you are using it all the time. Also I like being able to have lots of backup cells. I don't think you can do that with the Super Siege.

Subterrestrial

Newly Enlightened
I don't understand the trend towards lanterns with non-replaceable (or not easily replaceable, you could say) Li-ion cells. Streamlight Super Seige, Goal Zero Lighthouse and Barebones Forest and Canyon lanterns are just a few of many. From a marketing standpoint, they're convenient, "eco-friendly" and you can charge other devices with them, but while the LEDs should last for years, the battery won't. For most users, that means the whole thing will just end up at an e-waste facility (or worse, a landfill). How is that eco-friendly? And do you really want to charge your phone from the very lantern you're expecting to turn on after it gets dark?

So many better options. You can use NiMH cells in a lantern you already have! There are also lanterns like Fenix' CL25R and CL30R where you can charge batteries in the lantern and they're still replaceable. Even Goal Zero's Lighthouse Mini does this (albeit with a proprietary 18650)! Black Diamond's Moji Charging Station straddles both being "duel-fuel" so at least you can keep using it with AA cells after the Li-ion cells eventually die.

Sorry, I kind of went off on a semi-off-topic rant. :rant:

Last edited:

Dr. Strangelove

Enlightened
I don't understand the trend towards lanterns with non-replaceable (or not easily replaceable, you could say) Li-ion cells. Streamlight Super Seige, Goal Zero Lighthouse and Barebones Forest and Canyon lanterns are just a few of many. From a marketing standpoint, they're convenient, "eco-friendly" and you can charge other devices with them, but while the LEDs should last for years, the battery won't. For most users, that means the whole thing will just end up at an e-waste facility (or worse, a landfill). How is that eco-friendly? And do you really want to charge your phone from the very lantern you're expecting to turn on after it gets dark?

So many better options. You can use NiMH cells in a lantern you already have! There are also lanterns like Fenix' CL25R and CL30R where you can charge batteries in the lantern and they're still replaceable. Even Goal Zero's Lighthouse Mini does this (albeit with a proprietary 18650)! Black Diamond's Moji Charging Station straddles both being "duel-fuel" so at least you can keep using it with AA cells after the Li-ion cells eventually die.

Sorry, I kind of went off on a semi-off-topic rant. :rant:

My thoughts exactly.