Streamlight TL-2?

rwolfenstein

Enlightened
1691538164476.png

rwolfenstein

Enlightened
Are they all shock proof?
Well the bulb has a spring that it sits in. I think when I owned one back in the day, I dropped it many times even with it on and it never broke. Also its about the same size as an E series surefire with a P60 size bezel.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
There were a few versions. Earlier ones had adjustable bezel to change the beam like a Maglite. It was ugly by today's standards but it was a cool feature to have back then.

It could be had with a regular, fairly shock restistant module or the shock proof kind with an extra spring.

Later the bezel was not adjustable.

The packaging identified it as shock proof if it had that module. The body of the light did not.

The early LED version introduced a clicky tailcap.

Chadder

Enlightened
I know this is the incan section, but I have put a lumens factory replacement LED in mine. I have the old 350 lumen version, but it runs for over three hours on 2 CR123's. I posted it along with pictures in a thread somewhere. LOL

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I know this is the incan section, but I have put a lumens factory replacement LED in mine. I have the old 350 lumen version, but it runs for over three hours on 2 CR123's. I posted it along with pictures in a thread somewhere. LOL
My first two EDC flashlights ever were a TerraLUX tailcap modded Mini-Mag incandescent, and an Inova X5 LED. Soon added a factory-stock Streamlight TL-2 LED to my still humble but growing collection at the time. It had only recently come out back then, and made a whopping 47 or 48 lumens. But, I figured, hey no bulbs to replace. I still remember working over at the S&P building near the ferry to Staten island during 3rd shift.

Came to work very early one night because the subway was actually ahead of schedule. Walking through the side streets of the financial District late at night, alone. Shining that light all around. Yeah.... started regretting not having gotten the incandescent version which was considerably brighter. Let's just say that soon enough, a SureFire C2 Black made its way into my pocket. With the upgraded 120 lumens lamp that was good for only 20 minutes on a set of CR123s. Can't remember if the C2 came before or after the TL-2 LED though.

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you mean this upgrade?

I've used earlier batches of this one and they work great. I don't have TL-2 (incan), only Scorpion (incan), but results should be the same.

Chadder

Enlightened
Do you mean this upgrade?

I've used earlier batches of this one and they work great. I don't have TL-2 (incan), only Scorpion (incan), but results should be the same.
Yes that is the one. Except they have increased the output on the new ones to 850 Lumens. I have the earlier model that was only 350 Lumens. It brought the old incan TL-2 back to life.

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Scorpion is slightly different with having the adjustable beam.
Does the Scorpion use the same incan bulb socket as on the TL-2? If so then the focusing mechanism should be the same. However when you slap in an LF LED tower upgrade (as mentioned on my post earlier) then the entire focusing mechanism becomes void and unusable.

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes that is the one. Except they have increased the output on the new ones to 850 Lumens. I have the earlier model that was only 350 Lumens. It brought the old incan TL-2 back to life.
I don't recall such tower module that only output ~350lm back then. I do own the initial release model back in 2016, with a 1.5A buck driver and already advertised at ~800lm, if I remember correctly. This very copy however does not focus well inside the (incan) Scopion's head assy and cannot yield a good hotspot.

That said, subsequent batches of this module, esp. those with 319a/b and driven at 1.6A, produce much better beam profile and yield a very effective hotspot, along with big (wide) sidespill, which help these older lights come back to life and maintained at modern-day output standards.