Stuck MagLite D-Cell batteries

StuckMaglite

Newly Enlightened
Hello all! I currently have a stuck d-cell battery in my mag lite. I've looked at several different tutorials and explanations on how to disassemble them, and I have come to an unfortunate conclusion: the 2mm hex head on the inside of the switch is stripped out. I can't for the life of me get it turn. So, with a stuck battery and a stripped bolt head, am I just hosed or is a way to fix it?

Thanks!

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
from @alpg88 in another Mag rescue thread...
"there are 2 types of switch screws, old type uses 5/64 allen key, another t8 torx, but it has to be a special one, with narrow shaft, 99.9% of torx keys out there will not work, you need to either file/grind it, or get one from maglite that fits. file/grind it so the shaft is not wider than t8 end."

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Ok, first things first. The alkaline paste often times cements the battery to the barrel. Other times it just acts as a concrete gap filler.

You can try freezing it so that the "cement" expands then shrinks when you thaw it. That might break the bond. You can try giving it some good thumps with a rubber mallet. If you can get access to a back massager that might generate enough vibrations to crumble the cement paste.

I used coca cola on an incan light that worked like a charm. On an LED light that might not be good for the electronics.

I'd contact Maglite to see if they'll hook you up with the right tool.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
A mild acid like vinegar dissolves battery corrosion, especially if it's relatively fresh it'll go very quickly. But like Bykfixer said anything like that will probably wreck the LED electronics.