Suggestions for gifts to tribal elders in New Guinea

Bullseye00

Newly Enlightened
The Dorcy 1AA and 1AAA are pretty well built, but have lousy run times. If you're going to get a 1AA light, I'd pick the Gerber Infinity Ultra. It's half again as much as you want to spend, but it meets all the qualifications. It's durable, water resistant, decently bright and has a very long run time. You might be able to find a vendor that will give you a discount for a bulk order, or because it's for a mission trip.(or both)

eav2k

Newly Enlightened
What about those disposeable single use led lights? They are cheap and you don't have to worry about the battery.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would consider the Streamlight 1 AA ~2 level tasklight. Uses the new CS Nichia 5mm led. It`s bright, has a very usefull beam. Very well made. The low level has an insanely long run time. They sell for right at $13...but call and ask if they can do better on the price for a purchase of 18 pieces...you might get them for $10 each. Make a phone call to www.brightguy.com ...ask for Greg.

Good luck and hope your wife has a safe and enjoyable time.

KenB

MY

Enlightened
Thanks KenB for the lead, I will give Greg a call at brightguy.

Also some interesting lights at FifthUnit.

Regards.

Smoken Joe

Newly Enlightened
Yest the Streamlight is ideal proven quality rugged, waterproof and the battery lasts.

You could consider mailing them direcct and tell them why you want the lights they might offer a discount too if she is taking pics that might be a selling topint to them.

Information on an appropriate gift shoul;d be avalable across the web including the sociology sites and from universitys if memory serves.

Hats off to the world light project especaly the goal to help people help themselves. personaly not to sure abot the ethics of many free medical aid- education and helpping people help themselfs is less likly to cause harm.

mudman cj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where corn and pigs are grown unimpeded by trees
I think some of the new crank lights are great, but I doubt that they are waterproof and they probably don't fare well around dirt or sand either. I just took a look at the dynamo lights reviewed at flashlightreviews.com and none of them were rated as waterproof. Shake lights can be completely contained, but the cheap ones are just about useless. Solar rechargeable lights might be great, and I found a couple that might work. This one makes no mention of water resistance and costs more than $10, but here it is anyway:
http://www.alwaysbrilliant.com/aa/a...-FROOGLE/bb/Solar Rechargeable Flashlight.htm

This one claims to be water resistant and is under $10 shipped, but only 12 available:
http://cgi.ebay.com/5-LED-Dynamo-So...yZ106987QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Another vote for the Streamlight 1AA ... I have the 2AA model, and can vouch that the run times are accurate. It's well made, and should be fairly water resistant (I doubt any model we're talking about at this price point will be waterproof).

If you can't get that one down to $10, there's also the Nuwai TM-313X with the 0.5W Nichia to consider, reviewed at: http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/amart_tm313x.htm

I know J2LED sells them for 2 for $20 USD, so that should fit the bill. I have a couple of theses, and they are fairly well made with excellent run times, but only have one setting. J2LED also sells the 2-stage version (TM-317X), so maybe you can work out an arrangement. Try: http://www.j2ledflashlight.com/specials.html

Good luck!

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jay R said:
Just posted in another thread. 1watt LED single AA cell $ 9.59.

http://www.szwholesale.com/power-nichiareg-bulb-imported-from-japan-p-746.html

See post #43. :)

Low grade AA batteries and runtime will be major fators in the jungle. I doubt that the $9 luxeon from Dae's site will run for long on a carbon zinc battery if it lights up at all. If you put that battery into a streamlight 1aa powering a single nichia led with a boost circuit, then give the option for a low level, a carbon Zinc battery is feasable. Runtimes on low could be as high as 12 hours! I'm strongly in favor of the streamlight over all other options listed thus far.

:touche:

MY

Enlightened
Wow some more fantastic ideas.

I was just thinking that the flashlight requirements for this missions trip is not unlike what many non flashaholic people would want for a cheap dependable light stateside. We are talking about a LED-based maglight, aren't we?

Given the low quality batteries availble in PNG, the realization of the Streamlight's low setting demands could be an important factor. I think that many of the lights mentioned would have low run times on crappy carbon zincs.

Regards.

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay, don't get the streamlight. It's got a parasitic circuit that will drain the batteries when it's off.
:huh2:

Last edited by a moderator: