SUNWAYLED M40A Review (MC-E 4xAA): RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, and more!

boomanbb

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the welcome. It finally got dark in Richmond, Va. I really like the way the M40A lights up the night! I can see these flashlights are going to be a problem for the wallet. Thanks to batteryjunction for fast delivery!

Ben

01A5E2499FBE423B93F9C25F06DD55E5.jpg

Last edited:

octaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello,

This is my first post after lurking for months. My brand new M40A is sitting on my desk in front of me right now. Having come from a Inova Tactical T1 LED (35 lumen) flashlight and assorted no name walmart models, I have these excellent reviews to blame my purchase on. WOW, I am impressed!

Ben

BTW - Yes I a grown man... grandfather 7 times over and given that wisdom... I looked into the beam. :crazy:

The spots are beginning to clear. I should have no problems driving home.

Congrats, grandpa

Big leap from walmart to M40A, you should definitely blame selfbuilt for it. :twothumbs

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Is Catapult V2 much brighter than M40A ?
From the review:

HiOutput-Summary-4.gif

As you can see, my lightbox and ceiling bounce only give an extra 10-15% to the catapult (although I know the lightbox always underestimates). Still, you'd only notice the difference side-by-side.

Throw is certainly better on V2 - no mistaking that.

scot

Newly Enlightened
As always, great review selfbuilt. I bought a M40A to use as an "around the house" light. I did a runtime test on high with eneloops and got 61 min before the light started flickering.

What surprised me was my runtime with duracell 2450mah cells, these test out for me at 2350mah on my maha c9000. The M40A only ran for 3 min more on these cells than it did with the eneloops. I was expecting more!!

I have some Powerex 2700mah that have been sitting around for months. I did one conditioning cycle on my C808M, let the cells rest for an hour, put them in the M40A and got 1hr 24min before the light started flickering. Great runtime, I just hope these cells will have some durability to them.

Nice light, I think it would be better if a tailswitch were added though.

arek98

Enlightened
Does M40A preflash when turing on on low, kind of like Quark? I just received M30A and it does that (and I'm one of people that are annoyed by that :eek:).
Thx.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Nice light, I think it would be better if a tailswitch were added though.
Agreed. :)

Does M40A preflash when turing on on low, kind of like Quark? I just received M30A and it does that (and I'm one of people that are annoyed by that :eek:).
No signs of a preflash on mine - either going from standby to low, or when tightening the battery tube to make contact when set to low.

There is a slight lag when first connecting the battery tube and the light turning on, but no preflash.

arek98

Enlightened
No signs of a preflash on mine - either going from standby to low, or when tightening the battery tube to make contact when set to low.

There is a slight lag when first connecting the battery tube and the light turning on, but no preflash.

Thank you for info.

scot

Newly Enlightened
Never noticed any heat issues, but I've used my M40A every night for 3 weeks or so....one evening after using it in the yard I turned the ring to off and the light wouldn't shut off. Stayed on low, I essentially had two low beams, medium then high!! Sent the light back and the replacement ( I'm assuming) that arrived yesterday did the same thing right out of the box!!!
I wonder if this is common with Sunwayled lights?

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love how these new sunway flashlight look and perform. But as a new brand, I think it needs more attention to details, like packaging and spelling. In the box it almost reads False light. These little cons gives the product a cheap feeling.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Stayed on low, I essentially had two low beams, medium then high!! Sent the light back and the replacement ( I'm assuming) that arrived yesterday did the same thing right out of the box!!!
I wonder if this is common with Sunwayled lights?
That's odd, sounds like maybe the ring magnet isn't detecting the final detent. Also wonder if you didn't just get the same light back? :thinking:

All my SUNWAYLED lights are still working fine, but they have generally received only light intermittent use since the reviews went up. The M40A and M40C have probably gotten the most use, as I've taken them on a few night outings.

I love how these new sunway flashlight look and perform. But as a new brand, I think it needs more attention to details, like packaging and spelling. In the box it almost reads False light. These little cons gives the product a cheap feeling.
FYI, SUNWAYLED was quite embarrassed when I pointed out the flashlight label misspelling. They asked me if it had shown up anywhere else in the documentation of this light or any of the other lights they sent me, and it hadn't. They promised to fix that one and work harder to prevent it from happening again.

Certainly happy enough with the lights - I keep the M40C charged and on my desk for emergency use.

Last edited:

scot

Newly Enlightened
Selfbuilt, I also thought that maybe I just got the same light back, but when I talked to the supplier they told me that the body was the same and they put a new head on it and that it worked fine. Kinda weird. So now I need to send it back again, a pain, but I realize that sometimes these things just happen.

This situation won't keep me from buying a Sunway again, I like them, and the dealer has been great to deal with!

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Selfbuilt, I also thought that maybe I just got the same light back, but when I talked to the supplier they told me that the body was the same and they put a new head on it and that it worked fine. Kinda weird.
Hmmm, weird. Have you tried cleaning all the contact surfaces on the battery carrier and changing the batteries? I would have thought the problem was with the switch, but maybe something else is causing some sort of interference.