SUNWAYMAN M10 problems

eufool

Newly Enlightened
When I first saw the Sunwayman M10A, I thought that would be a dream AA flashlight. Then I ordered one from BatteryJunction.

After using it for a few days, I am extremely dissapointed at its performance.

1. The low level is ridiculously dark. It is significantly darker than my iTP A3 low level, which has 1.5 lumen by using one AAA battery. If it dose has 3 lumens, which will be twice brightness as iTP A3 low, that would be very nice. However, at this ridiculously low output, the low level of M10A is just useless.

2. I tested the high level and mid level by using Eneloop AA battery. I tested the battery with C9000 charger, which said it has 1850 mAh capacity. For the brightness of mid and high level, I have no idea, since it looks similar to other AA flashlight by eyes. But for the run time, very very dissapointing.

Here is the results: High: 40-50 minutes, Mid: 5 hours, significantly less than Sunwayman described.

I used the sam battery to tested my iTP SA1 before, which ran 5 hours at mid level, and it looks the same brightness as the M10A by eyes.

The M10A is a very cool looking light, and ring control works nicely.
But the performance is terrible. For anybody who want to order the M10A light, be careful, the low output is useless, and the run time on mid and high level is significantly less than it said on the website.

eufool

Newly Enlightened
Re: SUNWAYMAN M10A, Very dissappointing!

In addtion, I emailed BatteryJunction and Sunwayman for the low level output question, because I thought I might got a defective product.

Paul from BatteryJunction was very nice and replied promptly and nicely. But I have got no anwser from Sunwayman so far.

brted

Enlightened

I tested the high level and mid level by using Eneloop AA battery. Here is the results: High: 40-50 minutes, Mid: 5 hours, significantly less than Sunwayman described.
I'm disappointed to hear that about Sunwayman. I saw some of their lights this weekend and was impressed with how well they are made. Lows are always iffy. If you are using the light to read indoors, you only want a lumen. But if you are outdoors you would want 5-10 just to see where you are walking. Realistically a light should probably have both Lows or something that can be set by the user. Otherwise it's a no-win for a flashlight manufacturer. Sunwayman uses the FL-1 standard to come up with runtimes. I've been looking into those tests and just finished a write-up on the Wiki (link below). The standard test lets the light go down to 10% of the original brightness, which is pretty dim (though with an Eneloop you would see a pretty sharp drop-off anyway). Also they run the test using whatever battery is included in the package or recommended. So if Sunwayman doesn't include batteries, but recommends Energizer Ultimate Lithiums then they can really max out their runtime. Wiki article about FL-1: http://flashlightwiki.com/ANSI-NEMA_FL-1

Last edited:

eufool

Newly Enlightened

I'm disappointed to hear that about Sunwayman. I saw some of their lights this weekend and was impressed with how well they are made. Lows are always iffy. If you are using the light to read indoors, you only want a lumen. But if you are outdoors you would want 5-10 just to see where you are walking. Realistically a light should probably have both Lows or something that can be set by the user. Otherwise it's a no-win for a flashlight manufacturer.

Sunwayman uses the FL-1 standard to come up with runtimes. I've been looking into those tests and just finished a write-up on the Wiki (link below). The standard test lets the light go down to 10% of the original brightness, which is pretty dim (though with an Eneloop you would see a pretty sharp drop-off anyway). Also they run the test using whatever battery is included in the package or recommended. So if Sunwayman doesn't include batteries, but recommends Energizer Ultimate Lithiums then they can really max out their runtime.

Wiki article about FL-1:

http://www.cpfwiki.com/Wiki/index.php/ANSI/NEMA_FL-1

I totally agree that low output is important. That's why when I read the website said 3 lumen 100 hrs, 40 lumen 10 hrs, I thought that would be a very useful flashlight. But the low on M10A is just ridiculous. It is even too low to read indoors. It probably can only light up half of your page.

sfca

Enlightened

I totally agree that low output is important. That's why when I read the website said 3 lumen 100 hrs, 40 lumen 10 hrs, I thought that would be a very useful flashlight. But the low on M10A is just ridiculous. It is even too low to read indoors. It probably can only light up half of your page.

Read: popularity of 4sevens "moonlight mode". Perhaps they should have renamed the low as a m.m.

richpalm

Banned

I'm disappointed to hear that about Sunwayman. I saw some of their lights this weekend and was impressed with how well they are made. Lows are always iffy. If you are using the light to read indoors, you only want a lumen. But if you are outdoors you would want 5-10 just to see where you are walking.

Wiki article about FL-1:

http://www.cpfwiki.com/Wiki/index.php/ANSI/NEMA_FL-1

Damn, with my night vision 10 lumens would equal me falling over my feet.
I have to add another zero onto that number to be comfortable, 'specially with 3 dogs. I don't use any low modes anyway-too dim.

The next Sunway for me would be the M10R. Love the M40C.

Rich

Fleetlord

Newly Enlightened
Sunwayman M10R Cree R5 Problem...

Already sent this one back for exchange, but I'm curious as to what the problem could be and if I should expect it again.

Light is a single cell 220Lumen max output with a magnetic selector ring.

I got the light yesterday. I put a primary Energizer 123 in it and fired it up. It worked fine, but I thought the high output was a little low for 220L. It did cycle through it's other settings fine.

I sat down to compare it against my Surefire T1A. I turned it on and FLASH...then dim. The light wouldn't go into high mode. I changed the battery for another. Same output. I cycled through the modes and it changed modes, but didn't change brightness between medim and high. The low mode was like a moon mode and the strobe worked, but it was very dim..

In otherwords after the "Flash" the light still functioned in terms of switching modes, but it lost most of its output. I'd say it was putting out about 10 lumens on High, Medium and Strobe, and about .5L on low. There was also a strange odor coming from the head section when I took the battery out. It wasn't stong, but I did smell it..

Anyone have an idea what happened here? I've been using LED's for years and never have I seen one FLASH out like that...Incan bulbs YES...LED's NO...

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Re: Sunwayman M10R Cree R5 Problem...

Fleetlord, I'm going to merge your post with a similar thread that is already running on the M10 series and rename the combined thread slightly ...

Last edited:

specimen

Newly Enlightened
I feel different.

I have M10A R2 (yes R2 not R5) that the light is dimmer than yours.

I feel happy to use low mode when I use it to find anything in the car at night without annoy the driver.

I have the other brand that I cannot use it as moonlight like this one, it cause the problem to driver. So I feel happy with this one.

Last week I use it with 14500 Batt(not official support) that make me feel like the new flashlight.

I feel happy with 14500 because I use it as main batt and backup with AA that you can find in any convenience store.

Last edited:

jaws revenge

Newly Enlightened
I have a m10a r5
I like it for being a small aa with a selecter ring
But performance wise, I wouldn't say it stands out.
The low isn't too low for me, but on high there is no difference with a 14500 and an eneloop.
I also wish the order was high, medium low, strobe because I use high and medium more than strobe and always have to dial one down for high.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Low is always a very personal preference characteristic. No one should really complain about it as a defect or performance, just inform others about it. Some want 0.2 lumens, others want 10 lumens. It's just personal preference.

For output being the same on 14500 and NiMH, that means it's a good driver. I think the lazier companies that let the light go into direct drive when running Li-Ions are misleading people into thinking the light is superior. That just means they didn't bother to design a circuit that regulates across a broad input voltage range. It may not be as bright on 14500, but it should also be much more regulated throughout it's runtime than one that just goes into direct drive...not to mention heat issues are more managed (especially in a small light), less stress to LED and circuit, etc.

As for the output, 220L is emitter...take 70% of that for OTF lumens and it's probably closer to what it looks like it's doing.

So far, none of the issues seem to be real issues...just failure to meet specific preferences. The runtime does sound disappointing though relative to claims, but if they do use the standard that goes to 10% output, that may explain it.