Super Barbo Diving Light for Javier in Spain with 3xMC-E and 2xIMR26500

Daylight

Newly Enlightened
This is a fantastic job Will, you are goooooood!!!! :twothumbs

Javier is a lucky man.

Maybe in a future we can see a light like this next to our bed.

wquiles

Flashaholic
Muchas gracias :thumbsup:

I took the "monster" light to the getogether meeting here in Texas, and folks were pretty happy to see it in person. Now to pack it up and send it to Javier, so that he can properly test it under actual diving conditions ;)

Will

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Muchas gracias :thumbsup:

I took the "monster" light to the getogether meeting here in Texas, and folks were pretty happy to see it in person. Now to pack it up and send it to Javier, so that he can properly test it under actual diving conditions ;)

Will
Thanks to both of you for that treat. That is a very bright light.

wquiles

Flashaholic
Thanks Mike ;)

I have to admit being a little bit sad sending the light to its new owner, but Javier will give the light more use than I ever could ;)

Techjunkie

Enlightened
in the brightly lit suburbs of NYC (Long Island)
Looks good Will. I hate how the parallel Stars are designed. I would like then to have 2 contact points instead of 8! They should have 3 flavor of Star's

Series
Parallel
2S2P

Mac

I've been making 2S2P stars by drilling/scratching through two of the five the trace routes on the serial star boards, leaving only the inner-most trace closest to the emitter and the ones between the contact pads in tact. Like this:

Mac - don't feel bad. I did like 3-4 wrong wiring diagrams in my notes before I got it right, and when soldering, I was constantly measuring and checking everything 2-3 times.

Here is the electrical diagram:
Positive Contact -> 6 emiters in parallel -> 6 emiters in parallel -> Negative Contact

The trick is that those 6 emiters in parallel are made up from 4 from one star and 2 from another star. This is the part that makes it more confusing.

That had me going cross-eyed too. I was sure you were missing a wire or something or running 4 into 2 and 2 into 4 in parallel, like:

medium.jpg

I guess as long as you have six in and six out, then the current across each die is the same.

All in all, this is an awesome build, Will! Really nice job! This is my kind of torch.

Congratulations to Javier on a beautiful purchase too!

kmjelle

Newly Enlightened
Very nice. Do you have link to the reflector? Is it designed for MC-E, or modified?

swrdply400mrelay

Enlightened
will,

I have been reading a few of your projects, and all I can says is HOLY CRAP

Please tell me you are an electrical engineer :)

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast
will,

CNC, DC power supply unit and a $300 multimeter, thats every flashaholic's dream... :D Awesome modding skills!!

And nice neighborhood!

wquiles

Flashaholic
will,

Yes, BSEE and MSEE. The machining I am still learning, both via hands-on (trial and error!) and with lots of help from more experienced machinists here in the forum.

CNC, DC power supply unit and a $300 multimeter, thats every flashaholic's dream... :D Awesome modding skills!!

And nice neighborhood!
Thanks, but it is all manual machining - no CNC yet. Maybe one of these days ;)

Turboled

Newly Enlightened
:twothumbs Well done. Very nice light and excellent documentation in pictures.