Surefire 300 minimus

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
^Not with this model but I have the previous model that I've used out in the woods hiking and loading up the car in the dark. It's cons would be size and weight if comparing to the more traditional headlamps like BD or such. To me the lack of throw made spotting markings tough even when cranked up to max. The newer model is more floody (according to a post) but has more output so idk if that would make spotting easier but I doubt it. I like mine and find it great for close tasks (minus those rings) but for hiking prefer a flashlight.

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Still surprised this thread hasn't been more active as the new minimus was so highly anticipated. Was hoping to see some runtime results by now.

ToddM

Enlightened
Yeah I've been hoping to see some output graphs, if it's just another light that's super bright but not regulated to game the output/runtime numbers then not really interested. I don't mind if they do that with the highest/"turbo" brightness but I'd want lower settings say 50,100, 200 lumens etc. that were fully regulated to maintain that output for the life of the battery. It's ridiculous that regulation started as a way to maintain brightness over the life of the battery, and now it's become something to game spec numbers. One reason I like the Fenix HL60R is that the low/med/high are pretty much constant output until the battery can't keep up, and turbo falls off. A big annoyance with headlamps without regulation is a couple hours into your work/hike/etc., or the next time you use it it's half as bright on the same setting. It's the same reason I don't use my old Petzl lights anymore, super bright for 30 minutes then slowly dimmer and dimmer.

CombatRock

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone,

First post from a newly-registered lurker, just chiming in to let anybody know who is interested that the "Dual Fuel" battery pack that shipped with the 2011 Saint sort of works with the new Minimus.

I say "sort of" because it won't work without a slight modification, albeit an easily performed and easily reversible one.

The problem is that the battery tube on the new Minimus is a few millimeters longer than the 2011 Saint and Minimus. Thus, when installing the little "mock battery" from the Dual Fuel unit, the spring piston which acts as the positive terminal of the "mock battery" does not reach the positive contact inside the battery tube of the new Minimus.

To fix this, an adapter is needed. I made mine from a thick plastic drinking straw, some aluminum foil. The only tool you need is a ruler and some sharp scissors.

The idea is to roll an aluminum foil puck to act as a conductive link. The puck must be no larger in diameter than the diameter of both positive contacts, and no thicker than about 3mm. A 5mm section of the straw fits snugly over the end of the piston, acting as both a retainer and insulator for the aluminum foil puck. When rolled correctly, the foil tends to want to expand evenly outward when compressed, making it stay put in the straw.

If all the dimensions right, the adapter stays centered on the positive contact inside the battery tube when the "mock battery" end is installed, and tightened all the way (to maintain water resistance).

If anybody is interested in more details, I can post more images. For now, here's my "Super Saint":

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool. Why SF doesn't offer these packs as options on current models idk.

badbs101

Newly Enlightened
I read the whole thread and can't find the answer I'm looking for. Does this new 300 MV Minimus suffer from the same parasitic drain as the older model(s)?

mbw_151

Enlightened
Based on my qualitative experience, I believe that the Minimus MV does not suffer parasitic drain. The push button appears to provide positive shut off. I put a new Surefire 123 cell in my old Minimus when I got my new MV. The old Minimus has definitely drained, it won't sustain full output. The MV still dials up to full output and I've used the MV some as well.

hypolith

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone know if it is okay to use rechargeable 16340 / CR123 / RCR123 with the new minimus.
With the old (original saint minimus and minimus) model surefire said you should not use rechargeable because it blows out the circut over time.

If yes does anyone any idea how long it will run on rechargeable?

hypolith

Newly Enlightened
Nobody has tried?

The Batterycap also seems quiet small, because the battery is for some part in the cap.
If someone has tried could you also provide which rcr123 you have used?

dwong

Newly Enlightened

Latest posts