Surefire E2E Custom Flashlight 18650 Need Help

sfire

Newly Enlightened
I am working on making a super long runtime modified surefire. I would like to run my parts list by you guys and see if I have everything that I need.. I would also like to see if anyone has better suggestions.

LeefBody C Tail E Head 2x18650 Battery
G&P A.I. Tailcap Switch (only C tail I can find on light hound)
2 - AW 18650 Protected 2200 mAh Rechargeable Lithium Battery
Ultrafire WF-139 Charger
Surefire KL1 LED Head (I currently own this)

Is there anything that I am forgetting? Any suggestions on different/better items? Any idea on the runtime of this 1 Watt LED with these cells? I am looking for extreme runtime. I am hoping that this will provide at least 12 hours of runtime.

Edit:
I did some math and I figure that:
1watt/7.4volts = .1351 amps
If I figure that the batteries will give 80% of their "estimated" capacity (1760 mAh) 1760/135.1 = 13 hours of runtime.. Does this sound like a fair assumption?

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
AW's ratings are pretty accurate, those batteries should give arouns 2200 mAh with normal use.

It's not the LED that determines the runtime, it's the driver. The driver can be set to push 3w through a "1w" LED or 1w though a "3w" LED. The efficiency of the driver also has an impact on the runtime.

Also if you send the head to a modder, you can get more then double the runtime at the same output. Current gen LEDs are 2x or more efficient then the Luxeon I and III used in the older KL heads. A direct swap of the LED will increase output, swaping out the driver for a lower power one will increase the runtime.

My guess is 2.5-3 hours of regulated runtime.

Edit: Opps, I misread and though you were using one battery, 5 something hours sounds about right for two batteries.

Last edited:

softfeel

Newly Enlightened
If the KL1 head is the same reviewed here: http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/surefire_kl1gen2.htm

I would say the runtime would be about 5h and 30 min with two AW18650.'

Edit: If you were to use an LED with higher efficiency you could gain more lumen with the same runtime or more runtime with the same output. Or both. Super long runtime while using an older LED is not the best combination.

Last edited:

sfire

Newly Enlightened
AW's ratings are pretty accurate, those batteries shouldgive arouns 2200 mAh with normal use.

It's not the LED that determines the runtime, it's the driver. The driver can be set to push 3w through a "1w" LED or 1w though a "3w" LED. The efficiency of the driver also has an impact on the runtime.

Also if you send the head to a modder, you can get more then double the runtime at the same output. Current gen LEDs are 2x or more efficient then the Luxeon I and III used in the older KL heads. A direct swap of the LED will increase output, swaping out the driver for a lower power one will increase the runtime.

My guess is 2.5-3 hours of regulated runtime.

Edit: Opps, I misread and though you were using one battery, 5 something hours sounds about right for two batteries.

Gunner12,

Where do I find one of these modders? I would be interested in getting more output if it took the same power. Its cool to know this is even an option :)

Thanks for the quick responses all :)

Edit:
After the modification will it still be waterproof?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
There are a few modders around, Milkyspit being one of the best know one. I've also seen "looking for a modder" type threads, which could help you find one too. Cost would depend on the mod, and some of them you cna do yourself.

As for water resistance, almost none of the mods change anything with the threads or O-rings, so the light should be as water resistant as before, some are more (think Maglite to dive light mods).

Buying one of the new heads is also an option, but they don't seem to like lithium ion batteries.

sfire

Newly Enlightened
I decided against doing the full custom flashlight. Since I have the original E2E tube with lots of extra room I ordered:

EO-E1R 3.6v 90 lumen bulb
2 - 17670 Batteries
Ultrafire WF-139 Charger

I figure that the KL1 LED Head should do just fine with the 3.7 volts. I tested it with a single 3 volt surefire battery and it more than meet my needs.

I also sent Lumens Factory an email asking about the possibility of a IMR-E1 3.7 volt bulb possibly in the 150 lumen range. I'll start a thread if their response looks promising :)

lovecpf