• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Surefire E2L AA

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like you're trying to button up the thread, "nothing to see here." Not how it works. CPF threads have a life of their own.

The Malkoff 2AA body crushes button tops. Really needs flat top cells to prevent the crush, and even then the flat top can be dented depending on how far down the head contact reaches. But that is the price one pays for a short AA body. And, generally, no one cares about crushing primaries because they're disposable, if one wants to risk leaks running alkalines.

The Surefire 2AA Outdoorsman and DSS bodies won't crush your button tops, and flat top cells work well, also. Plus, there is the many choices of E tail caps, z52, z53, z54, z57, z61, z68, and a plethora of other custom tail caps.

If I could find a 12V bipin lamp that fits my socket, I would run 14250 Li-ion. Though the capacity is shameful, it would be pretty cool to have a 1200Lm incan E, even if only for 5 minutes.

teak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like you're trying to button up the thread, "nothing to see here." Not how it works. CPF threads have a life of their own.

The Malkoff 2AA body crushes button tops. Really needs flat top cells to prevent the crush, and even then the flat top can be dented depending on how far down the head contact reaches. But that is the price one pays for a short AA body. And, generally, no one cares about crushing primaries because they're disposable, if one wants to risk leaks running alkalines.

The Surefire 2AA Outdoorsman and DSS bodies won't crush your button tops, and flat top cells work well, also. Plus, there is the many choices of E tail caps, z52, z53, z54, z57, z61, z68, and a plethora of other custom tail caps.

If I could find a 12V bipin lamp that fits my socket, I would run 14250 Li-ion. Though the capacity is shameful, it would be pretty cool to have a 1200Lm incan E, even if only for 5 minutes.
Lol. I haven't found one yet. I've had a couple offers. As I was telling the guys that have offered in messages I was un clear on pricing with these. I assumed you could get a good used one for 150 max. I don't think that is the case. I looked on eBay before I posted here and didn't like the prices. No hit to the people who have offered there's it's just not what I am willing to pay for a light I'm going to use.

Having said all that I would be willing to trade my 18650 Malkoff MDC with XPL neutral MDC 3 mode head with a cranulated bezel ring.

Genes multi mode MDC heads just don't do it for me. I prefer 2 mode at best. If gene made more 3 volt p60s or MDC heads I'd just build a 2AA light. However there isn't anything currently being made that appeals to me.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Ya 150 is a little low for these. But I have seen them go for that. Just got to get lucky 😁

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I assumed you could get a good used one for 150 max. I don't think that is the case. I looked on eBay before I posted here and didn't like the prices.
When I posted the eBay link on Sunday, there were 2 available for $165. Both sold today. As I stated already, the light is worth $230: $100 for the head, $100 for the body, $30 for the tail cap. You can find it cheaper sometimes, but the whole is worth what each of the parts go for, which the market sets as above. Granted it's only $30 worth of plastic, metal, electronics and rubber, but the market says it is worth $230. I might be misremembering, but I think they retailed for $299.

So this isn't a knock on collectors. I wouldn't have ever had the opportunity to use the lights I've used if it weren't for collectors and hardcore hobbyists. That said, I've never bought a light to resell it. Apparently I stumbled accidentally into a gold mine and my beautiful AA has appreciated in value like 160% in less than two years. I still don't really look at it that way but it's pretty nuts.

teak

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I posted the eBay link on Sunday, there were 2 available for $165. Both sold today. As I stated already, the light is worth $230: $100 for the head, $100 for the body, $30 for the tail cap. You can find it cheaper sometimes, but the whole is worth what each of the parts go for, which the market sets as above. Granted it's only $30 worth of plastic, metal, electronics and rubber, but the market says it is worth $230. I might be misremembering, but I think they retailed for $299.
Yeah not worth that to me.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah not worth that to me.
They are American made, and have quality workmanship, but your position is totally understandable, and I feel that way about a number of Surefire LED models. If E2L AA wasn't E Series, I would not have one. But everything Surefire is massively overpriced, at least for non-military. The one saving grace is they somehow keep their overpriced value through ownership, and even very often appreciate. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but there it is. You can own a Surefire flashlight for 20 years, and it will cost you nothing, so long as you sell it. Just as often, you can come out ahead. There are much more lucrative ways to invest, but that doesn't always come with x number of years of flashlight ownership.

teak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have owned most of the classic surefires and don't mind paying for them. However, for this particular model it's not worth it to me. Lol

Maybe this is the WRONG place to be to have this view, but I have an irrational attachment to inanimate object I barely ever use. It would serve me far better to give a friend an opportunity than to horde a thing.