Surefire EDCL1T 18mm upgrade

jimmy22Aus

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I'm new here was wondering where I can get my E Body EDCL1T bored to 18mm to use 18350 batteries.

Also wondering if there are any better LED's for it, 500 lumens, 7k candela currently would love more candela.

Thanks!

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
Having in mind that even 6P tubes fail due to that procedure I may suppose that with a 100% probability you will destroy your light.

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
even if you did modify/ purchase a body for the 18350, there is the possibility of destroying the driver/ LED because you would be giving it up to 1.2v more than it was designed for.
Some of the older units like the L1 could take a 16340 at 4.2v without issues, but it's a gamble.

I've bored E-tubes for 18350, and it is really dicey. Even if it's perfectly done, the walls are so thin at the valley of the threads. Really fragile.

This image gives you an idea of the issue. I didn't do this one, but purchased as-is. An E2e, bored for 18650.

IfUC92.jpg

When I make flashlights, I don't let wall thickness go below .050" (fifty thousandths). The walls here are about .030" at the threads. One simple drop can trash this quite handily.

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm new here was wondering where I can get my E Body EDCL1T bored to 18mm to use 18350 batteries.
Also wondering if there are any better LED's for it, 500 lumens, 7k candela currently would love more candela.
No offence but you REALLY, REALLY need to do you homework on this.
Questions regarding boring E-series bodies are generally regarded as laughing stock, and indicates the questioner's lack of knowledge on the said light systems concerned (E-series).

The other members already said it: its risky business so don't bother. If you need 18350 compatibility then just get an aftermarket, compatible Fivemega body for your cause.

Perhaps the other thing you'd want to ask yourself is, is there any true advantage using the fatter 18350 cell in your setup? AFAIK most SF LED heads are optimized for primary CR123a so I don't even know if running with RCR123s would post a problem in the long run.

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think this is a bit harsh for an obvious newbie. There are plenty of people that do bore out E-series, and accept the risk. We all started from pretty much zero, and a lot of things in the flashlight world are not easily understood.

The suggestion of the FiveMega body is far more constructive, as is trying to determine the need behind the request.
~D

No offence but you REALLY, REALLY need to do you homework on this.
Questions regarding boring E-series bodies are generally regarded as laughing stock, and indicates the questioner's lack of knowledge on the said light systems concerned (E-series).

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think this is a bit harsh for an obvious newbie. There are plenty of people that do bore out E-series, and accept the risk. We all started from pretty much zero, and a lot of things in the flashlight world are not easily understood.
The suggestion of the FiveMega body is far more constructive, as is trying to determine the need behind the request.
If my words were too harsh then I apologize. However, sometimes, people need to be yelled at before they wake up and realize the problem, danger......

Besides, a Surefire model is still not considered cheap -- let alone the EDCL1T. Really no point taking the risk.

Latest posts