Surefire G2 Question

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
Use the cheap $21 light in the garage or in the car then if it get damage, no big deal

For $25 there are G2s from Turkey. Image shows the correct packaging and description says it has an incandescent bulb. I'm willing to believe that these are authentic.

--flatline

ven

Flashaholic
I have seen those flatline, but also wondered if imported from China. Surefire for me has to be genuine, or just no point. The expense is all part of the ownership and presence you get in hand. The g2 is actually my least fav of them all(still like it though). The g2z i prefer down to the design being like one of my all time fav z2.
G2 still in work as back up
dgRPUHFl.jpg

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I wonder why Ebay doesn't shut down the fakes. Does Surefire not have an employee to monitor auctions and report suspicious auctions to protect the brand?

--flatline

eBay is the world's largest flea market. If they shut down too many con-men peddling fakes, it'll eat into their profits.

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
If it has been bought new for $21 and has a CREE LED (probably not even Cree)then I am very sure a fake. If it's come
from China then 100% fake. I have seen them on eBay and actually reported them in the past. Kind of worrying how many have been sold and how many are thinking they are getting a real SF light. Presume you have read feedback(presuming eBay).

Honestly, at those prices and buying from eBay, anyone genuinely thinking they are getting the real deal is sadly fooling themselves. If it was used, with some of the finish worn off a bit from the bezel, then okay; likely legit. But brand new just isn't happening.

Also, I must say that feedback often means nothing. I've known individuals who got scammed out of their hard-earned money from sellers with 100% positive ratings. All a high rating means is that you're a bit less likely to get scammed. That's it.

ven

Flashaholic
Very true, sometimes though they get left feedback like fake or copy(one of the chinese sellers had on a g2). I tend to look out of interest and see how many actually realise its a fake....... More out of interest than to purchase myself.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Very true, sometimes though they get left feedback like fake or copy(one of the chinese sellers had on a g2). I tend to look out of interest and see how many actually realise its a fake....... More out of interest than to purchase myself.

People forget just how much of a difference where you buy plays into whether or not you're getting a good deal on a legit product. Awhile back, I noticed a Pelikan M1000 fountain pen on sale at Amazon.... for half off! That's their flagship model, and I've wanted one for quite awhile. I jumped on it. Couple of disadvantages. One, it was the all-black with gold trim version, instead of the other more popular one. Two, only one nib option.

Everything arrived, properly. Correct, box, paperwork, even the little soft-touch comfort pouch the pen literally rests in. It was the real deal. No fake, no trickery, no con job. Had it been listed on eBay, I never would have bought it. eBay tolerates scam-artists. Amazon is quick to shut them down when they learn what's going on.

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
The G2Z tailcap with printing that I mentioned previously is black. I received a new tan G2Z (incan) today that also has printing on the tailcap.

matt4350

Enlightened
For $25 there are G2s from Turkey. Image shows the correct packaging and description says it has an incandescent bulb. I'm willing to believe that these are authentic.

--flatline

I bought one of these from Turkey, I was a bit sus about it but gave it a shot. The tailcap internals are identical to one I bought years ago here at home, and the finish on the exterior and around the threaded area is identical. I'm definitely no expert, but the Surefire packaging it came in seems real so I'll call this one a win.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been doing a little research, and the first G2 LEDs came with the Nitrolon head assemblies and Luxeon LEDs. Is Luxeon a real name or is it like the Streamlight C4 LEDs? Shortly after the first LED G2s came out the heat problem raised its head, and Surefire switched to the aluminum head assembly.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, I spent some time looking over the G2 in question tonight. The conclusion I have reached is that the body IS Surefire, but like some have said, the LED drop in is just a run of the mill CREE. I based this on of all things the gap at the tail cap. Even with the tail cap screwed all the way down, there is still a significant gap between the bottom of the tail cap and the associated shoulder on the body. I saw this on my known good G2 with a third party drop in. The length of the drop in is just long enough that the three parts of the body do not come together as they should as seen when using an original P60.

In any case, I am happy with my purchase, and have plans to replace the current single mode drop in with a higher quality Nichia 219 multi-mode one. I am leaning towards Mountain Electronic's CUXM/CUXP drop in since I have one in one of my other lights and really like it. I also really like the under $20 price tag and the workmanship Richard puts into it. I do wish there were still some 219B LEDs still floating around, but the 219C seems to be okay.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I remember a few years back. It was just when Gene started making production Malkoff LED drop-ins, and there were still a few custom-made ones around. I bought one of those custom-made M60 drop-ins. There was a sliver of a gap between bezel and body. Certainly far better than literally every single other drop-in I bought at that time for my SureFire C2.

There was only ever one 3rd party drop-in that left no gap and fit as well as a genuine SureFire LED. It was available for sale right around the very same time mentioned above.... And for the life of me, I can't remember which one it was. :(

Latest posts