Surefire Kroma, good or bad idea?

scubasteve1942

Enlightened
The low white of the kroma is a little to bright to check pupils with. I would stick to a penlight for that or even a mini mag

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The low white of the kroma is a little to bright to check pupils with. I would stick to a penlight for that or even a mini mag
I was about to say the same; however, I'm not in the medical business, so I'm not sure.

The ideal light for that is, or sadly rather was, the Inova X1, with its not overly bright, tight, round beam. A friend of mine actually sold his 1st gen X1 to an MD for that purpose.

Otherwise, the Kroma is an awesome light. Covers a lot of ground in one light.

GreySave

Enlightened
I am not in the medical profession, so I cannot comment either on whether the low output is suitable for pupil checking, but the Kroma is an excellent low output performer for all colors and the low white, and the high white is adequate for most normal tasks.

For a holster, consider the Wolf-Eye's H17 through Pacific Tactical Solutions. That's what I use and it works very well and is also very affordable. It is not eleastic based, so getting the light in and out of the pouch is very easy.

Last edited:

camhabib

Newly Enlightened

I thought it might be. I shinned it it my own eyes in the store in with light coming from the windows and lights overhead and it seemed to be just bright enough to check responsiveness during the daytime. I did not have a chance at night to use it though, but can see how it may be too powerful. I'll probably pick up a cheap penlight for that use as it doesn't take up much space or weigh that much.

EV_007

Enlightened
Here's the biz end of the Kroma close up. All this shining in the eyes talk inspired me to snap this image. The round center "pupil" is the camera lens just inches from the TIR of the Kroma. Super macro mode of my Canon S3 IS.

Kroma_head_eye_jpg.jpg

Xanteen

Newly Enlightened
For belt carry, I use a Blackhawk "BTS Night-Ops Light Pouch-Open Top" and it fits my Kroma Mil-Spec and U2 bezel-down perfectly. It keeps the lights handy while protecting the window. It's about $15.

For PALS/Molle attachment, I have a Maxpedition 5" Sheath that fits the U2 like a latex glove in the bezel-up position. I think this was about $20.

Here's a few photos I shot for reference:

• Kroma in the BTS
  • U2 in the BTS
  • U2 in the Maxpedition 5" Sheath
  • Kroma Mil-Spec & U2, side-by-side

camhabib

Newly Enlightened
For belt carry, I use a Blackhawk "BTS Night-Ops Light Pouch-Open Top" and it fits my Kroma Mil-Spec and U2 bezel-down perfectly. It keeps the lights handy while protecting the window. It's about $15.

For PALS/Molle attachment, I have a Maxpedition 5" Sheath that fits the U2 like a latex glove in the bezel-up position. I think this was about $20.

Here's a few photos I shot for reference:

• Kroma in the BTS
  • U2 in the BTS
  • U2 in the Maxpedition 5" Sheath
  • Kroma Mil-Spec & U2, side-by-side

Thanks for those shots, that Maxpedition sheath looks like a nice fit. I'd be interested in seeing a picture of the U2 or Kroma in the Surefire V91 sheath if anyone can get one.

On a side note, does anyone have some good recommendations as to where to buy a sheath, as well as a Leatherman knife and a few other small related items? I've heard mention of some places offering coupons for CPF members, but had a hard time finding the sites or coupons. I'm looking to get the best possible deal while still not dealing with some random sketchy
online retailer.

carrot

Flashaholic
For knives, I usually buy from GPKnives.com or NewGraham.com -- both are excellent dealers, with some of the best prices around and quick shipping. Lighthound.com also stocks a few knives... always been very pleased with their service.

I have a link to greenLED's "CPF Specials" in my sig.

cobra-ak

Newly Enlightened
Look up John Willis for his Kroma holsters, fit and function are awesome

camhabib

Newly Enlightened
Just received my Kroma in the mail a few hours ago; I just have one this to say... wow. Thing works perfectly. The only complaint I could even possibly think of, which really isn't that bad of one, is just that it because of its weight, it doesn't feel like its a solid built object, but I have no doubt that it can take a serious beating.

ETA: Does anyone hear a kind of almost beeping / squealing sound coming from the tail when they turn on the light to full power?

Last edited:

camhabib

Newly Enlightened
I also took off the bezel (I'm too curious for my own good) and wound up smudging the inside of the lens and the center optical (rubber piece came out of place and did it), so I cleaned them off with a dry towel and now there is a few very small pieces of dust in there, not to mention some very fine scratches. Is that going to be an issue?

Last edited:

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also took off the bezel (I'm too curious for my own good) and wound up smudging the inside of the lens and the center optical (rubber piece came out of place and did it), so I cleaned them off with a dry towel and now there is a few very small pieces of dust in there. Is that going to be an issue?

The same happened to me; mine got some pieces of the O-ring in there. It doesn't really disturb the performance, and the O-ring should seal again. It's mostly cosmetic.

Nevertheless, it bothered me a lot :) . You can clean the lens with rubbing alcohol/isopropanol quite nicely. Blow out the pieces floating around in there with some clean electronic spray cans, if you can. Then very careful reassembly; the problem is that the bezel is obviously not intended to be taken apart, and that the O-ring is easily twisted/damaged. Work slowly, and with some patience you should be able to get in back together.

PelicanCaseNut

Newly Enlightened
Welcome to CPF!
The Kroma has a LuxeonIII LED, not an incandescent bulb. I don't have a lifespan rating from SureFire. My guess would be many (tens?) thousands of hours.

Thanks for the welcome, I have read alot of your posts, very good info!

The surefire site says thousands of hours, I hope it lasts a good while for 300 clams!