Surefire Maximus, Minimus AA, Minimus Tactical and Minimus Vision!

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks for the updates...
i keep coming back to the minimus vision, and its good to know about long term user experiences with it.
i might just have to finally get it and try it out for myself.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks for the updates...
i keep coming back to the minimus vision, and its good to know about long term user experiences with it.
i might just have to finally get it and try it out for myself.
Maybe you might be disappointed and then maybe you might be like me, only learning to appreciate it much later on? But then again it is also highly possible that you will love it? As the saying goes, different strokes for different folks. It is definitely a nice and tough illumination tool. I say go for it.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you read the starting page of this thread you will notice that I gave quite a negative feedback on the Minimus Vision. All these have changed over time. In actual use, the beam artifact is not really an issue unless white wall hunting. As for the squeaky rotary switch, Surefire got it sorted out for me so it is now no longer squeaky. I admit that I hadn't used the headlamp much when I first got it, but ever since it came back from SF I have been using it frequently and boy do I love it now.

It has a very nice warmish tint suitable for outdoors usage and the rotating switch dial makes it a breeze to change output levels although sometimes I still get annoyed by the fact that I am always accidentally grabbing onto my hair while rotating the dial. Maybe I really need to get myself a GI haircut to really enjoy this light but it is still bearable. Also, I prefer the SF headband over the ones supplied by Zebralight as it felt more stable and doesn't allow too much wobble on my head. Though I still like my Zebralight headlamps, I find myself going for the Minimus Vision more and more. During a five days field exercise in the Army, I have been using the Minimus Vision every night for cooking and reading during my free time, and since I frequently use it on medium or lower outputs, the single CR123 lasted the five days and more when I continue to use it for some of my personal camping trips. Definitely efficient enough for my usage.

I read the entire thread (and another one on the Minimus) and it does seem that over time SF worked out the kinks so that puts me at ease. But still, when I see stuff like this I wonder "what sort of problems will mine have that may not be worked out?". At least I know what to look for, and if mine has problems SF will make it right.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe you might be disappointed and then maybe you might be like me, only learning to appreciate it much later on? But then again it is also highly possible that you will love it? As the saying goes, different strokes for different folks. It is definitely a nice and tough illumination tool. I say go for it.

so has anybody found out what emitter surefire is using for the vision model?

is the rated 75 lumens enough for outdoor use? i got my fingers crossed that surefire under-rated it. :crazy:
Owen posted that the vision is 3x brighter than the SC51w. any estimate of actual lumens coming out of it?
i had a H31w XP-E and H51w, and i didnt like the narrow hotspots. the vision's hotspot looks nice and wide, but still offering decent throw. could its beam be compared to the LX2? but with an even wider hotspot?

ive been waiting for the H502w, but ive never been a big fan of zebralights UI. plus, ive been wanting a headlamp that uses primaries for awhile, since all my other lights use CR123.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I read the entire thread (and another one on the Minimus) and it does seem that over time SF worked out the kinks so that puts me at ease. But still, when I see stuff like this I wonder "what sort of problems will mine have that may not be worked out?". At least I know what to look for, and if mine has problems SF will make it right.
Other than the artifact in the beam, there isn't any other problems that I have encountered. Unfortunately, Surefire told me that the artifact in the beam is normal and within the design specs. Like I said above, I am used to the slight artifact in the beam and it really is not an issue in actual use.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
so has anybody found out what emitter surefire is using for the vision model?

is the rated 75 lumens enough for outdoor use? i got my fingers crossed that surefire under-rated it. :crazy:
Owen posted that the vision is 3x brighter than the SC51w. any estimate of actual lumens coming out of it?
i had a H31w XP-E and H51w, and i didnt like the narrow hotspots. the vision's hotspot looks nice and wide, but still offering decent throw. could its beam be compared to the LX2? but with an even wider hotspot?

ive been waiting for the H502w, but ive never been a big fan of zebralights UI. plus, ive been wanting a headlamp that uses primaries for awhile, since all my other lights use CR123.

I doubt anyone could assuredly say what emitter is in the Minimus Vision, but a speculation would be that SF is using the SSC P4 high CRI in there. I tend to believe this is true since the tint color seem quite similar to that of my legacy high CRI HDS clicky.

As for the output, I would say that it is enough for my own outdoor use. Looks to be brighter than 75 lumen for sure but I don't think it is 3 times brighter than the SC51w. Personally I have compared it to the H51Fw and they seem almost the same in brightness. The beam is definitely very different from the LX2. Minimus is more of a flood light with slightly lesser than moderate throw whereas the LX2 is a throw light with very focused beam and little side spill. In my opinion, they both compliment each other quite well.

ProofTech

Newly Enlightened
I've had a Minimus Vision for a little over a month now and have been very happy with it. I, like many others, can see an artifact in the beam while white wall hunting, but I never notice it while I'm actually using the headlamp.

I can see the emitter in my Minimus Vision very well through the optic and I have no doubt the emitter is an XR-E.

Paul

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had a Minimus Vision for a little over a month now and have been very happy with it. I, like many others, can see an artifact in the beam while white wall hunting, but I never notice it while I'm actually using the headlamp.

I can see the emitter in my Minimus Vision very well through the optic and I have no doubt the emitter is an XR-E.

Paul

good to know of another happy user, im pretty set on picking one up, just cant find one of our CPF dealers that has it in stock.
XR-E? it is a popular LED for surefire.
Owen also said its pulling about 1amp on max, any reports of the headlamp ever getting hot or uncomfortably warm?

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast

Paul
Glad you like your Minimus too. Any hints on how you came to the conclusion that it is an XR-E in there? Is it because you see a silver ring around? I can't seem to find any indication of the ring.

ProofTech

Newly Enlightened
pjandyho, it's hard for me to tell that there's a metal ring in there, but I can see everything inside of the ring without too much trouble. I can see a rectangular heat spreader under the square die, two gold wires attached to the die, two other wires attached to the heat spreader, and silver/gray stuff surrounding the die that forms a circle that's split into two unequally sized parts by a line that follows one of the long edges of the heat spreader.

Paul

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
pjandyho, it's hard for me to tell that there's a metal ring in there, but I can see everything inside of the ring without too much trouble. I can see a rectangular heat spreader under the square die, two gold wires attached to the die, two other wires attached to the heat spreader, and silver/gray stuff surrounding the die that forms a circle that's split into two unequally sized parts by a line that follows one of the long edges of the heat spreader.

Paul
Now that you mentioned, I think you may be right. I am trying very hard to look through the fresnel optic at the LED and it has a square shape quite similar to any from Cree. Anyone who has owned a light with an SSC emitter would know that they don't look the same. I also seem to notice a slight hint of a metallic ring circling the LED die which is quite similar to the ones found on an XR-E.

I remember someone mentioned that a representative from SF told him in the SHOT Show that it is a high CRI emitter. I don't remember Cree ever making any high CRI XR-E. Could that guy have misinterpreted the message? Maybe the SF rep said something like "we are using a warm tint LED which gives a higher CRI" and not "we are using a high CRI emitter"?

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Shine it on a wall. The projected image of the die is clearly that of a XR-E.
Cree's datasheet shows no "high CRI" version, but that the warm whites are 80 CRI. Maybe it's one of those, or a 3700K neutral(?).
Can't say that it matters to me, since the light seems to work the same as it did yesterday...

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Shine it on a wall. The projected image of the die is clearly that of a XR-E.
Cree's datasheet shows no "high CRI" version, but that the warm whites are 80 CRI. Maybe it's one of those, or a 3700K neutral(?).
Can't say that it matters to me, since the light seems to work the same as it did yesterday...
Agree with you Owen.

Andy

ProofTech

Newly Enlightened
I just returned from a two-night camping trip along the Middle Fork of the Boise River. I used my Minimus Vision headlamp around the camp at night and it was absolutely awesome to use. Its simple and infinitely adjustable user interface, warm tint, ability to go well below one lumen, and floody (but not too floody, which would waste lumens) beam make it the best headlamp on the market for camping in my opinion. The fact that it's made by Surefire also gives me some piece of mind. And despite its max output being rated at only 75 lumens, I never felt myself wishing it was brighter.

I only have two very minor gripes with the Minimus Vision. It's a bit heavy for its size, but it's still very comfortable to wear. And there's no way to lock-out the switch to prevent it from turning on while transporting it, so removing the battery is the only way to lock-it-out. But these two issues really don't bother me much. I'm very happy with the Minimus Vision, and would not want to trade it for any other headlamp.

Paul

Last edited:

BenChiew

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fully agree with you. I prefer the vision over the stock minimus.
I had a bit of problem with the dial getting stuck. Sent it to Surefire and they sent me a new one.
I am sticking with Surefire for sure.
Great peace of mind buying into Surefire.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
i just received my vision yesterday right before leaving my house to help a friend move some furniture to his cabin.

so i handed him my H501w, and i tried out the vision. :D after about 20 minutes, i started to feel its weight, its not heavy, but heavier than i would like for a headlamp.
it is pretty comfortable to wear on the head though. it being lighter would make it more so though.

the beam is very acceptable. on a white wall i notice its imperfections, but during use the beam works very well. it a flood beam with a little intensity.
tint is just a tad warmer than my h501w. more of a rosy hue when compared.

the control ring on mine is a bit stiff. when turning it while wearing the headlamp, i had to use both hands. 1 hand to turn, and the other to hold down the battery compartment. i am able to just use 1 hand to operate, but it requires me to push the headlamp against my head to help hold it down, but its somewhat of a clumsy way of doing it.
will the control ring get easier to turn with more use?

EDIT: my vision started to make squeaky noises, i used a tiny drop of hoppe's lubricating oil in the control ring, and it fixed everything. the control ring now turns much easier and smoother, and no more squeaks.

i used the vision on max output for at least 20 minutes. it felt just a tiny bit warm. :twothumbs i would feel very comfortable using it on max until the battery drained. :grin2:

build construction is solid. quality plastic, and precisely made. definitely gives me peace of mind. enough to even order it from a certain auction site because our cpf dealers dont have it in stock. surefires warranty and backing also gave me the courage to order from a seller thats unknown to me.

like Prooftech said, the LED looks very much like a XR-E.
just some of my first impressions and observations.

Last edited:

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
My minimus vision didn't have enough friction to keep the unit from turning when turning the light off or on. I called surefire and the two adjustment Allen screws behind the velcro pad are 0.035 inch in case anyone needs to adjust tension.

Posted using Tapatalk on my HTC Evo

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
My minimus vision didn't have enough friction to keep the unit from turning when turning the light off or on. I called surefire and the two adjustment Allen screws behind the velcro pad are 0.035 inch in case anyone needs to adjust tension.

Posted using Tapatalk on my HTC Evo

that might help me adjust the brightness w/o it rotating the angle of the light. thanks.
my allen wrench set doesnt even go that small LoL. going to have to check he toolbag in my trunk for it. if not, ill just take the headlamp to home depot or something and adjust it there :D

i spent about 5 minutes turning it off and on last night to try and loosen up the control ring, and my thumbs are feeling it today. :crackup:
the control ring isnt so stiff it doesnt turn, but its just stiffer than i would like.

does anybody else vision feel that way? this is the only minimus ive tried, im wondering if its normal, or is mine abnormal?

Raptor Factor

Newly Enlightened
Is it disheartening to anyone that the new Surefire Maximus boast a "Tough, lightweight magnesium body with durable black finish"? is this as durable as the mil spec type III hard anodized aerospace aluminum normally seen in surefires?

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it disheartening to anyone that the new Surefire Maximus boast a "Tough, lightweight magnesium body with durable black finish"? is this as durable as the mil spec type III hard anodized aerospace aluminum normally seen in surefires?

That is interesting... The Minimus does mention "High-strength aerospace aluminum body, Mil-Spec hard-anodized for extreme durability", but the Maximus does not. I would call Surefire for clarification, as I would expect the more expensive headlamp should be HA as well.