SureFire Z2 and 18650 cells -- Who can get it done?

Superdave

Enlightened
the Z2 at it's thinnest point is .760 OD, with a 19mm bore (.741") you would have a wall thickness of .019" VS the stock .070".

that's way to thin IMO..

the Z3 is .823 OD so yes, it could be bored out to 19mm and retain a safe sidewall of .082"

even the E series lights have a wall thickness of .107 stock, bored out to 19mm they'd have about .040" which would be safer than boring out a Z2.

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
the Z2 at it's thinnest point is .760 OD, with a 19mm bore (.741") you would have a wall thickness of .019" VS the stock .070".

that's way to thin IMO..

the Z3 is .823 OD so yes, it could be bored out to 19mm and retain a safe sidewall of .082"

even the E series lights have a wall thickness of .107 stock, bored out to 19mm they'd have about .040" which would be safer than boring out a Z2.

This is something I thought. I knew some E series lights have been bored successfully but didn't know how much thinner the Z2 was.

I've just decided on getting a C2 from ElectronGuru as it is a duty light. I know there is a 99% chance it wouldn't matter but if that 1% ever made an appearance I would be a little regretful.

Plus, I have the idea that a C2 would provide a more comfortable grip when I didn't want to hold it like a syringe.

Moddoo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Z2 is now bored to about 18.65mm.

You would be surprised how thin some areas are, in stock form, on some very popular "bulletproof" lights, and most people don't even know it.

I'll run this thing over with the truck a few times tomorrow, then send it to Sgt. Punishment.

It will be fine.
:twothumbs

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've bored out a 6Z (predecessor to the Z2) to take protected 18650 cells. Used a Dremel tool and took about 20 minutes. I can't remember what particular bit/grinder I used but can look it up. I've also bored out a C2, C3 using the same technique. You just gotta be careful to preserve the "ledge" at the business side to make sure the spring of the lamp assembly has a proper stop and contact. As far as strength, I don't think the structural integrity of the body is compromised in any way. I would even bet you can run it over with a mid-size sedan and it will not yield.

Superdave

Enlightened
the problem with the Z2 body is the flat sides where the logos are. If they weren't there like the 6Z then it would be safe to bore them out.

i have a couple friends with machine shops and have considered getting some Z2 clone bodies made up with a few small changes. Maybe this winter i'll move forward on that.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
Intersting test....I wouldn't imagine there was much weight applied though since it was under the tire for a second, if that.

How far did it fly?

RGB_LED

Enlightened
Well, here is the first of many tests for this light.

If you are rougher than this with your lights, then, IDK what to tell you.

:twothumbs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCZHY_0Wbr4

:eek::faint: Moddoo, great video. Thanks for doing all this testing with the Z2 and also the C2. :twothumbs

I'm stoked to pick up either one but I think I like the grey ano on the C2 better... Next month, I should be ready to order a C2 bored for 18650 so I hope you'll still have of these!

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Thanks for doing all this testing with the Z2 and also the C2.

Sgt LED is our main tester. Moddoo took the privilege of the first beating.

Next month, I should be ready to order a C2 bored for 18650 so I hope you'll still have of these!

The next batch of C2's will be ready in a couple weeks. HA black and HA natural.

Last edited:

Superdave

Enlightened
nice video for the dramatic effect, but not a true test of durability.

It is true that most of us aren't very hard on our lights but logic tells us that with a wall thickness of a business card there will be a failure at some point.

Does anyone think there would be enough demand for a small run of Z2 and Z3 clone bodies capable of taking 18mm cells?

jp2515

Flashlight Enthusiast

It is true that most of us aren't very hard on our lights but logic tells us that with a wall thickness of a business card there will be a failure at some point.

Does anyone think there would be enough demand for a small run of Z2 and Z3 clone bodies capable of taking 18mm cells?

Z2/Z3 clones? Where do I sign up?!
:paypal::D

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
the only problem would be getting the rubber grip rings.. unless surefire sells them.

A trip to Lowes for some rubber doughnut things would suffice. I forgot what they call them but one CPF member put one on his E2DL for a snug combat ring. It wouldn't be too pretty, but it would work.

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast

IMO, the failure mode of interest for thin shells is buckling failure, either from axial loading (e.g., a very hard impact using a hammer fist blow to the flashlight tail) or from shear loading (e.g., a very hard impact at an oblique angle). Another possibility is buckling failure from bending loads, e.g., from using the light as a pry bar.

The rumor is that Bill Rogers (of the Rogers Shooting School) conceived on the SureFire 6Z, but he himself uses (or used) a standard 6P with some o-rings slipped over the body.

bugsy714

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love this hobby...my wife thinks it is nuts and maybe she is right lol