Surplus Ammo Boxes as a safe storage solutions for batteries?

buickid

Enlightened
I think the concern was that the ammo can will pressurize the blast, and the can will burst open, spewing forth firey flames of fire and possibly burning/red hot debris, instead of venting. Kind of like how gunpowder will burn if drawn out in a line, but explodes when compacted. In an earlier post, even an ammo can with a 6" hole cut in the side blew apart when the cells went off.

DM51

Flashaholic
Kind of like how gunpowder will burn if drawn out in a line, but explodes when compacted.
That is a good analogy. A venting cell behaves very like a firework, shooting flame out of the end. Any attempt to contain it will result in an explosion. In that sense it behaves in a similar way to black powder, except the fumes produced by a venting cell are much nastier.

sylathnie

Enlightened
I use an open ammo box to store my dead and live cells. I leave it open and unlatched. I store primaries separately from rechargeables. I have found that shotgun shell cases make excellent 18650 holders.
I also keep a fire extinguisher next to my workbench and another one room over.

ltiu

Flashlight Enthusiast
All this talk about venting batteries in homes.

Any reported incident where batteries on store shelves or in storage in a warehouse vented?

If batteries don't vent on store shelves or warehouses, then we need to store batteries the same way.

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any reported incident where batteries on store shelves or in storage in a warehouse vented?

there were 2 li-ION incidents in wherehouses i read about , in the TSA (airline safety) stuff (they were reviewing all kinds of incident reports), someone ran into them with a forklift :ohgeez:and the other was similar.

As many cells are in areas of landfills, the methane in the landfill combo , you would think that if it was going to be a problem, we would know, visit the dump to see the northern lights :).
its usually when your charging it, or do damage when it is charged.

But lets not forget the few incidents of lithium batteries (primary usually) that self exploded in peoples homes, that were just existing in a tub or drawer, it has happened to people here.

Last edited:

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am going to be purchasing a few 18650 chargers, and I will be gifting one to a friend to get him on the 18650 path to freedom. :D Due to the fact I want him to be *extra* safe when charging, I am going to get him an ammo box to charge the cells in. I was thinking something from this page with a large array of holes drilled in the cover would be perfect to allow gases to vent in the event of fire and contain that fire without a dangerous build-up of pressure:

http://www.armysurpluswarehouse.com/department/ammo-cansstorage-boxes-10001.cfm?killnav=1

or here:

http://www.colemans.com/ammocan.htm

Would this be a "safe storage solution" as well as a "safe charging solution," if ample holes were drilled in the lid to allow gases to escape?

I would also probably put a hole in the side for the AC cord.

:)

Larbo

Enlightened
Mistreated dangerous battery locked in a metal box.. KABOOM!! :poof:

bugsy714

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would be afraid that drilling too many holes in an ammo can would just create shrapnel in a venting situation...the fire safe or metal trash can are probably the best ideas

Tony Hanna

Newly Enlightened
I have a wood stove in my den that never gets used. I've been thinking about cleaning it out, running an extension cord through the air intake in the ash door, and charging inside of it. In my mind it seems like the perfect containment. 3/8" plate steel should contain any battery explosion and a nice big (thick walled) stovepipe with a natural draft to vent any toxic fumes outside the house.:) I'm not sure how it would do for long term storage though since it's open to outside swings in temperature and humidity through the stovepipe.:confused:

Arizona_Mike

Newly Enlightened
I found the ultimate ammo box! Only $216 (before shipping :devil:)
https://www.sportsmansguide.com/pro...mpaign=Banner+Remarketing&utm_content=criteo6
658441_ts.jpg

Mike

PS. I use ammo cans for a lot of things but I keep my batteries in Lock & Lock containers (basically air-tight clear Tupperwear). Non-conduction and would vent more gently.

Last edited:

klrman

Newly Enlightened
I don't think that ammo box above is big enough for today's high powered batteries lol. I'm still on the fence how to store my batteries. Also, I ordered a DX80 and thinking of storing that outside too but it gets cold here, often -22c.

ArazelEternal

Newly Enlightened
I use clear plastic tackle style storage boxes. They are fairly cheap and work well for storing larger numbers of batteries. I use smaller, 4 ct containers actually made for batteries to carry a few spares with me in my EDC bag.

EDIT:

The thing that would worry me about using ammo boxes is that they are constructed of steel which is very conductive. So dont store them loose in one. Store them inside cardboard or plastic containers, or line the ammo box with cardboard so the batteries cant make contact.

Last edited:

lumen aeternum

Enlightened
What are the regulations for shipping containers, for large quantities? How do the maker's ship a gross?

A gypsum liner (remove the paper - charcoal conducts) would be non-conductive in a metal can. And provide 15min external fire safety if thick enough.

Making square cubby holes for each battery would also reduce the chance of adjacent cells going up if one did.

How much gas does one battery produce (volume)?