Sustainable high lumens.

Dicaeopolis

Enlightened
I would check out PFlexPro website. A lot of options there and pretty reasonably priced. I have one of his lights and I am very happy with it. I don't have the highest lumen rating, bit I think on high it is about 1268 in a P60 format, but there are other options with higher and lower lumens.

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Acebeam X80 can sustain higher light output than a pair of typical car headlights. That should be far more than enough to spot pretty much any hazard from a safe distance. However, the very wide flood of the X80 may illuminate the foreground enough to be somewhat dazzling, spoiling night vision and making it harder to see well in the distance.

My personal preference for outdoors (I live in an area where cougars are relatively common), is a floody headlamp that gives me decent close range illumination including some of my peripheral vision, plus a flashlight with a moderate amount of throw to help me see further into the distance.

The gear I use most is an Armytek Tiara, set at the 50 lumen level when walking on rough ground, plus either a Thrunite Archer or a Convoy S2+, typically at a level of 75 to 200 lumens. I find this enough to see my immediate surroundings from 25-50' with the headlamp, and see 200+ feet with decent clarity with the flashlight. Zebralight, Olight, and Fenix are also popular brands for these combos.

In areas where I'm more comfortable, I frequently turn the headlamp down to its 7 lumen level, and leave the flashlight off.

I know many if not most other people prefer more light than I do, but I think you're the first person I've encountered who has used a light than genuinely sustains 4000 lumens (reviewers have verified Acebeam was not exaggerating like many lesser companies do) and found it lacking. So rather than spending a whole bunch more money, packing around an even heavier light, and dazzling other hikers you omay encounter on the trail, I think it is worth considering an approach that makes more efficient use of the lumens your lights produce.

I also think letting your eyes get dark-adapted is highly useful. If you fire up initially at 25,000 lumens, then in comparison, 4,000 lumens won't seem impressive, especially since your eyes adjusted to the 25,000 lumens. If you start out at the trailhead with just 10 lumens to see at arm's length while you get your gear ready, then when you switch up to 100 lumens, even that seems like a significant amount of light.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can believe it or not. It happened though.

I'm not doubting you. I was reacting to the fact that you laughed about shooting alligators in the eye. Pretty sure that's illegal, too. I'm not a PETA freak, but damn, dude. Not cool, especially the LOL part.

Rule #2: Don't do illegal stuff, especially if it's cruelty to animals.
Rule #1: If you ignore rule #2, don't brag about it on a public Internet forum.

CREEXHP70LED

Enlightened
I'm not doubting you. I was reacting to the fact that you laughed about shooting alligators in the eye. Pretty sure that's illegal, too. I'm not a PETA freak, but damn, dude. Not cool, especially the LOL part.

Rule #2: Don't do illegal stuff, especially if it's cruelty to animals.
Rule #1: If you ignore rule #2, don't brag about it on a public Internet forum.

I hate cruelty to animals too. I went halfway through becoming a wildlife officer before changing my direction in life. Also, I was a young teen at the time, so that was decades ago.

Now back on topic....

Last night I went hiking along the creek again and a couple lakes. I only took a Surefire P3X Fury Tactical 1,000 (lumens) and the Emisar D4 XHP-HI V3 (4,300 lumens). I found that I could see almost as far with both lights looking down forest roads. However, I could just see more situationally with the Emisar due to the larger area of flood, less tunnel vision, and I also noticed less eye strain due to the flood and also the tint of the beam. A slight rosy white was much nicer than the cooler, bluish beam of the Surefire, but given the same lumens and flood this might not have been much of a factor. When in the actual woods, the flood is almost always superior, because in dense forest you can't see more than a maybe 100 feet, sometimes much less.

Looking into the water with both lights I could see about the same depth underwater, but I could again, just see more area at one time with the Emisar. The P3X was superior for turning on and walking for an hour with about 600 plus lumens, and for a few seconds the Emisar was king. (It was almost 80 degrees last night down here when I was hiking so it drops out of regulation in 5-10 seconds.) Most of my lights are flood lights because in the woods that is much better, but throwers are good for the fire lines and dirt roads you find along the way.

I think the last paragraph of iamlucky13's post sums it up perfectly.

Last edited:

ZEUSFL

Newly Enlightened
Yesterday i did a video testing my X80-GT. I test the distance of the throw and also the initial output vs the output after a minute.

After the video something happened that changed my life. Thanks to the amount of light this X80-GT has, i spotted on the trail a car key-chain and i called the cops to return the keys. That phone call ended saving a life. I am still shocking. I called today the detective and the person is still alive thanks God!!

Here is the link of a news website with the story.
https://www.wctv.tv/content/news/Person-in-critical-condition-after-being-pulled-from-Lake-Lafayette-506206301.html

Last edited:

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
yea, that much lumens, needs either huge heat sink, or an active cooling.
i wonder if x80 has a timer or temp sensor, if timers can't do much about it, but if it's a temp regulated, wrap wet towel around it, it may give you more time

Last edited: