Talk me out of a Zebralight

Martin SH

Newly Enlightened
Another vote for getting one here!

It gives out a great flood with no hotspots. Excellent for camping or reading probably one of my most useful lights. Go on get one you know you want one:devil:

Martin

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I absolutely refuse. The H50 should be a required purchase for entrance to this forum. It's the smallest and maybe the most useful 1AA I have.

Geoff

Patriot

Flashaholic
What if I told you that zebralights actually run off the souls of dead puppies?:nana:

LOL...

If I thought that was true it probably would indeed stop me.

Btw, to the OP, I just ordered a H60. I was whining about the price for a long time but Zebralights are just too useful not to own. My H50 and H30 are some of my most used lights now.

sledhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sold my H30 awhile back and have regretted it ever since. My H60 should be here tomorrow!:twothumbs

No, I will not talk you out of it!

RGB_LED

Enlightened
...I was whining about the price for a long time but Zebralights are just too useful not to own. My H50 and H30 are some of my most used lights now.
+1! I wholeheartedly agree!

I have both the H30 and H50 and I love both. I still prefer the twisty on the H50 over the H30 but both are so small and well-designed and -made that it's difficult to fault them. My only complaint is about the UI on the H30 but the positives outweigh that fact and I still carry the H30 in my courier bag and use the H50 around the house and when camping.

So, AlexSchira, I can't talk you out of it since. IMHO, the Zebralights are sturdy, well-made, have simple UI's, use single cells, have good flood and runtimes... they are still some of the smallest, lightest yet unique and useful headlamps available... I used to carry around my PT Apex as my headlamp but after using these lights, they are now my headlamps of choice.

You really can't go wrong with any of the Zebralights. I'm looking forward to updates to the line and, hopefully, enhancements to the UI in future models. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic
+1! I wholeheartedly agree!

I have both the H30 and H50 and I love both. I still prefer the twisty on the H50 over the H30 but both are so small and well-designed and -made that it's difficult to fault them. My only complaint is about the UI on the H30 but the positives outweigh that fact and I still carry the H30 in my courier bag and use the H50 around the house and when camping.

So, AlexSchira, I can't talk you out of it since. IMHO, the Zebralights are sturdy, well-made, have simple UI's, use single cells, have good flood and runtimes... they are still some of the smallest, lightest yet unique and useful headlamps available... I used to carry around my PT Apex as my headlamp but after using these lights, they are now my headlamps of choice.

You really can't go wrong with any of the Zebralights. I'm looking forward to updates to the line and, hopefully, enhancements to the UI in future models. :thumbsup:

Funny how we all have slight differences in opinion when it comes to the small stuff. I actually prefer the UI of the H30 because it doesn't require two hands to operate. I think the weakness of the H30 shows itself when it comes to accidental activation though. The H60 with mostly recessed switch seems to address that issue and it should be adapted into the H30 imo.

Above all other features of the Zebralight, I believe the size is what makes them so unique and handy to use. The 30 & 50 can be shoved into a front pocket headband and all.

RGB_LED

Enlightened
Funny how we all have slight differences in opinion when it comes to the small stuff. I actually prefer the UI of the H30 because it doesn't require two hands to operate. I think the weakness of the H30 shows itself when it comes to accidental activation though. The H60 with mostly recessed switch seems to address that issue and it should be adapted into the H30 imo.

Above all other features of the Zebralight, I believe the size is what makes them so unique and handy to use. The 30 & 50 can be shoved into a front pocket headband and all.
Put it down to personal perferences... I actually like clickies better than twisties and the one-hand operation is a plus but the H30 UI annoys me since it takes just a wee bit too long to cycle through the settings and I don't like the fact that it always cycles from low, then mid, then high, even if you are on the mid setting. By contrast, the H50 will cycle to the next highest setting, then back to low-mid-high.

I also discovered the accidental activation when I threw it into a courier bag and found out much later that it had turned on. :ohgeez:I now just unscrew the H30 tailcap by a quarter turn and that solves the problem.

But, I agree with your conclusion that the size makes them unique and great to use.

Last edited:

brucec

Enlightened
The Zebralight H30 is the best single spare CR123 carrier you will ever find. It's so small and light that if you have ANY reason to carry a spare battery, you might as well be carrying it in the H30. Tailcap lockout is a must.

As a headlamp, the pure flood is great, but the caveat is that the wide angle makes it more uncomfortable for other people around you. Great for you, bad for them. You will find many people squinting when they are talking to you, since you have to be looking nearly 90 degrees away for the light not to get in their eyes.

I use mine primarily as a backpack-strap, jacket, or pant pocket clipped light where the lower angle helps a bit with keeping the light out of others' eyes. And since the flood angle is so wide, the light can jostle around a bit and not really affect the lighting too much when walking. Oh yeah, it also makes a great camp table work lamp, but you probably want to set it up on a box or something higher.

BlackDecker

Enlightened
Sorry, but I can't talk you out of one of the most useful lights I've ever used. I use my Zebralight H50 (1aa) all the time on backpacking trips. It's a perfect camplight and great reading light on low or medium. I rarely use or need the high setting.

Runs for literally days on a single Sanyo Eneloop.

My only minor complaint is that the twisty switch does require 2 hands to turn on. Wish there was an option with a tailcap switch.

evgeniy

Newly Enlightened
Is Zebralight 30/50 current regulated ?
Can Zebralight 30 work from 1-2 AA NiMH accu (in external box) - 1.2-2.4V ?

gessner17

Enlightened
I got one of the first H50s when they were available. I love it, it's been through quite a bit of abuse and hasn't even hiccupped. I left it in my pocket and it made it through the wash AND dryer once. Aside from a couple dings it still works fine.