Tank007 E09 the famous budget light review - for submission in the Reviews forum

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast
For Xmas I bought 19pcs of the NKON labeled E09's and 1pc of the regular branded E09 with a fair discount, all in gungrey anodization and apparently from the same production batch. I couldn't help but notice that the two head parts are not loctited any longer, which is great for modders, repairing, switching reflector, etc, and that a nice LED centering black plastic spacer got placed around the LED.

In the early years of E09 (est. 2011) there was mere glue between the LED board and the back of the aluminum reflector, and it crumbled upon opening the head. It was the only major gripe i had with the E09.

Good to see that Tank007 has been improving the construction ever since. With the new(?) plastic spacer it is impossible that the aluminum reflector could short out with the LED/LED board. No chance. It is an important detail in the construction of the flashlight, the Fenix LD01 has it too!, and there is finally nothing serious to complain/warn about the light anymore :kiss:

As you can see from the serial number, the below sample was produced in October 2014:

16062608355_9e213e9b29_o.jpg

16060662601_a8ebc4f256_o.jpg

15875317340_fe6b6a596c_o.jpg

Btw my E09's came with a LOP reflector installed. Former E09's were equipped with smooth reflector and had a starry hotspot. The LOP reflector makes the beam profile look less starry :thumbsup:

I am sure that there are more efficient and brighter AAA keychain lights nowadays on the market, e.g. Eagletac D25AAA or Thrunite Ti4 ;) but E09 is still a pleaser in the giftees' hands and afaik continues to sell like crazy on Fasttech, NKON, a.o.

All great stuff.

Last edited:

_UPz

Enlightened
Thanks for the pics, kreisl.
That's a good improvement for such legendary budget flashlight.
Does it now have some aluminium under the MCPCB or is it hollow like in the old days?

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does it now have some aluminium under the MCPCB or is it hollow like in the old days?

i don't know what MCPCB is. the LED board sits in/on aluminum cup as you can see and the driver is underneath the cup. the heat generated on the LED board gets transferred to the contacting cup and then distributed over the flashlight head and body. same as LD01.

_UPz

Enlightened
What I ask is if, just under were the LED sits in the "LED board" (aka MCPCB), there is a direct thermal contact, or the "pill" is still hollow.
For your reply, as you used the word "cup" twice in your text, I would say it is still hollow, which means the heat has to "travel" from the center of the "LED board" to the external perimeter,
ie. not the best thermal design for a famous 10440 eater like this.
Never seen a LD01 dissasembled.
Anyway, thanks for your reply.

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Inverted/reverse cup i would say. You call it pill. A pill maybe sum thing which can be screwed out of the head parts. I assume that the LED board sits flat on a flat surface. Heat would travel from the center to the perimeter. Of course there is no extra aluminum heat sink. I might understand what you mean if the LED board were desoldered from the wires. But i don't do such things.

Never mind. Believe me, the E09 has a great likable construction and heat dissipates fast to the entire flashlight head & body mass.

It's a hot little light! ;)

Very detailed review. Just received a Tank007 E09 flashlight. Your review helps me to know more about this flashlight.

RoJohn L. Sugg

Newly Enlightened
Just purchased a E09 from Tank007, hope it will not let me down. This review is very professional, BTW.

Techno

Newly Enlightened
I just placed an order for ES12, the stainless steel version of the E09.

What's the reason for the lack of interest over the stainless steel ES12? I saw a long thread on the Fenix E05ss. The ES12 looks better IMO.

PhilipSmith

Banned
Now, big discount is going on! Before December 20, Tank007 E09 can be got at rather low price. Just contact me for more details.

Techno

Newly Enlightened
Hi

I have both E09 and Es12. From spec page, they're rated for IPX8. Why does water go in when I run the torches through soap and water? The O ring does kind of seem undersized if you ask me.

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both E09 and Es12. From spec page, they're rated for IPX8. Why does water go in when I run the torches through soap and water? The O ring does kind of seem undersized if you ask me.

What's your serial number? Feel free to mask the last three digits. Some batches came with wobbly heads and too low o-ring friction i agree. You could mitigate it wiv hanf and or bigger o-ling. i have equipped my es12 with the LD01 o-ring: perfect fit, perfect water-proofness, premium twisty feel!

While my e09 e12 are beautiful keepers in my collection pelican case, i do have moved on. Their efficiency and max brightness is soso (compare with graphs) and the PWM is ridiculous.

What i really appreciate about these 2 models is: they could be easily fixed, if something's broken (lens, led, soldering, driver, spring). Take spare parts from your other broken e09 lol.

Techno

Newly Enlightened
What's your serial number? Feel free to mask the last three digits. Some batches came with wobbly heads and too low o-ring friction i agree. You could mitigate it wiv hanf and or bigger o-ling. i have equipped my es12 with the LD01 o-ring: perfect fit, perfect water-proofness, premium twisty feel!

While my e09 e12 are beautiful keepers in my collection pelican case, i do have moved on. Their efficiency and max brightness is soso (compare with graphs) and the PWM is ridiculous.

What i really appreciate about these 2 models is: they could be easily fixed, if something's broken (lens, led, soldering, driver, spring). Take spare parts from your other broken e09 lol.

E09 starts with 502009
ES12 starts with 409120

I got these replacement O rings.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/310578043099

It has 50 pieces. I broke one piece on my first attempt, but managed to roll on two pieces onto the E09 and ES12. Works better now.

in MAY,tank007 just released a new rechargeable flashlight uc17. max 800 lumen, 300 meters,XM L2 T6,1*18650. and the price is very low, you can think about it.

RoJohn L. Sugg

Newly Enlightened
After read thie review, I just purchased a E09 from Tank007, but not received yet. Hope it not let me down.

meeshu

Enlightened
Top Secret! So secret even I don't know where I am
Purchased this light about a year ago. I like the mode memory function!

Trouble is the head/bezel is VERY loose fitting!

Trying to on sell this light as I don't like this loose head at all. :shakehead

Light was manufactured in April 2016 according to the serial number on the light.