Technoline BL-700 battery charger

gsgtsg

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I have a Technoline BL-700 battery charge from Battery Logic. Please confirm if this charger will charge a 16340 li-ion battery. If not, which charger would you recommend. Thank you.

oKtosiTe

Enlightened
Hi, I have a Technoline BL-700 battery charge from Battery Logic. Please confirm if this charger will charge a 16340 li-ion battery. If not, which charger would you recommend. Thank you.

It will most certainly not. That charger is also known as the La Crosse BC-700 and the Voltcraft IPC-1L. It will charge NiMH and NiCd cells, AA and AAA, nothing else. To get something similar for Li-ion cells, have a look at the Xtar VP1.

Last edited:

gsgtsg

Newly Enlightened
It will most certainly not. That charger is also known as the La Crosse BC-700 and the Voltcraft IPC-1L. It will charge NiMH and NiCd cells, AA and AAA, nothing else. To get something similar for Li-ion cells, have a look at the Xtar VP1.

Thanks, I'll look into the Xtar VP1. Are there any other chargers recommended on the forum? Cheers.

oKtosiTe

Enlightened
Thanks, I'll look into the Xtar VP1. Are there any other chargers recommended on the forum? Cheers.

I think most of Xtar's chargers are quite good. The Pila IBC also gets high marks here. Myself, I use a Nitecore i4 v2, but that doesn't have any voltage indicator, so checking with a DMM is highly recommended.
Outside of that, HKJ has done a lot of reviews on chargers and batteries.

As you can see in my signature, I own and use a Voltcraft IPC-1L (the same charger as in the OP), and it is a good AA and AAA charger.

gsgtsg

Newly Enlightened
I think most of Xtar's chargers are quite good. The Pila IBC also gets high marks here. Myself, I use a Nitecore i4 v2, but that doesn't have any voltage indicator, so checking with a DMM is highly recommended.
Outside of that, HKJ has done a lot of reviews on chargers and batteries.

As you can see in my signature, I own and use a Voltcraft IPC-1L (the same charger as in the OP), and it is a good AA and AAA charger.

Hi, what is you experience like and opinion of the Nitecore i4 v2? Thanks

oKtosiTe

Enlightened
Hi, what is you experience like and opinion of the Nitecore i4 v2? Thanks
Well, for AA and AAA cells it's acceptable. I've had no surprises charging my regular Eneloops with it, but I definitely prefer the BC-700 (set to 700mA) for them.
For Li-ions (I only have four EagleTac protected 3100mAh cells)... it totally gets the job done, but if those cells are down to 20%, expect charging to take a long time. Some of Xtar's chargers go up to 1A, which would equate to just over 3 hours for fully discharged cells, but on the i4 v2, at 375mA, it can take about ten. That's why I tend to top off my cells often. Not ideal to always keep Li-ions at high charge, since this way they will not last as long, but it is nice to know I have full batteries when I need them.
I'm a cautious kind of person, and therefore I have a fire-alarm and powder extinguisher nearby the charger. The only real yet affordable way to put out a lithium fire though, is a large load of sand or salt to separate O from Li. Better safe than sorry, but it's a fine line to paranoia.
With that said... I do intend to replace the i4 with a more sophisticated, dedicated Li-ion charger like the VP1 at some point. I will then give my i4 to someone along with a flashlight, as a present. It's a good charger, it's an affordable charger, it's a versatile charger, it's an easy charger, but it's not the best for either NiMH or Li-ion cells. Jack of all trades, master of none.
Oh, and one last thing about the i4: I've read several reports of Eneloop XXs getting very hot in this charger, so keep that in mind.

If you're looking for an easy charger that travels fairly well and charges all your cells, the i4 may be it. The Xtar XP4 and the ThruNite MCC-4 are the most direct competitors to the i4 v2 that I am currently aware of, so you might want to check those out too.
If you're looking for a great AA, AAA charger, go with the BC-700/BL-700/IPC-1L or the (Maha) PowerEx MH-C9000.
If you're looking for a great Li-ion charger go with the Pila IBC or the Xtar VP1. Xtar has other options too, but they won't come with voltage indicators, like the WP6II (many cells), the WP2s (USB output for charging phones etc.).

Finally: almost everything I know I know from reading HKJ's reviews, selfbuilt's reviews and following the flashlight reviews and flashlight electronics sections on this forum.
Hope any of this is useful to you. :tired::)

Last edited:

gsgtsg

Newly Enlightened
Well, for AA and AAA cells it's acceptable. I've had no surprises charging my regular Eneloops with it, but I definitely prefer the BC-700 (set to 700mA) for them.
For Li-ions (I only have four EagleTac protected 3100mAh cells)... it totally gets the job done, but if those cells are down to 20%, expect charging to take a long time. Some of Xtar's chargers go up to 1A, which would equate to just over 3 hours for fully discharged cells, but on the i4 v2, at 375mA, it can take about ten. That's why I tend to top off my cells often. Not ideal to always keep Li-ions at high charge, since this way they will not last as long, but it is nice to know I have full batteries when I need them.
I'm a cautious kind of person, and therefore I have a fire-alarm and powder extinguisher nearby the charger. The only real yet affordable way to put out a lithium fire though, is a large load of sand or salt to separate O from Li. Better safe than sorry, but it's a fine line to paranoia.
With that said... I do intend to replace the i4 with a more sophisticated, dedicated Li-ion charger like the VP1 at some point. I will then give my i4 to someone along with a flashlight, as a present. It's a good charger, it's an affordable charger, it's a versatile charger, it's an easy charger, but it's not the best for either NiMH or Li-ion cells. Jack of all trades, master of none.
Oh, and one last thing about the i4: I've read several reports of Eneloop XXs getting very hot in this charger, so keep that in mind.

If you're looking for an easy charger that travels fairly well and charges all your cells, the i4 may be it. The Xtar XP4 and the ThruNite MCC-4 are the most direct competitors to the i4 v2 that I am currently aware of, so you might want to check those out too.
If you're looking for a great AA, AAA charger, go with the BC-700/BL-700/IPC-1L or the (Maha) PowerEx MH-C9000.
If you're looking for a great Li-ion charger go with the Pila IBC or the Xtar VP1. Xtar has other options too, but they won't come with voltage indicators, like the WP6II (many cells), the WP2s (USB output for charging phones etc.).

Finally: almost everything I know I know from reading HKJ's reviews, selfbuilt's reviews and following the flashlight reviews and flashlight electronics sections on this forum.
Hope any of this is useful to you. :tired::)

oKtosiTe, thanks for the comprehensive reply. I now feel more inclined to get the Xtar V1 even though it is dearer than the Nitecore i4 v2. I already have the Technoline BL-700 which is solely for AAA and AA batteries. Even though I will only be charging two Li-ion currently, I feel the Xtar VP1 will be a better option to go for if I have more Li-ions later. Cheers.

oKtosiTe

Enlightened
oKtosiTe, thanks for the comprehensive reply. I now feel more inclined to get the Xtar V1 even though it is dearer than the Nitecore i4 v2. I already have the Technoline BL-700 which is solely for AAA and AA batteries. Even though I will only be charging two Li-ion currently, I feel the Xtar VP1 will be a better option to go for if I have more Li-ions later. Cheers.
Glad I was able to help, and I agree with your reasoning. The VP1 charges a wide range of Li-ion cells and comes highly recommended by HKJ, which means something. Please update this thread with your opinion once you have received the unit, as I am also considering getting that one. :D

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
By the way, which would you suggest out of the Pila IBC and the Xtar VP1?

Xtar WP2 II, WP2s, SP2 and VP1 are all worthy chargers. I use the basic WP2 II for $20 shipped.

You should have a volt meter (DMM) whenever you play with Li-Ion batteries and having a charger with a few 'idiot lights' on it, isn't enough, nor sufficient, IMO.

Use your BL-700 for NiMH and use an Xtar for Li-Ions. Nitecore chargers seem to be a 'jack of all trades, master of none,' type of deal, IMO again.

Chris

Latest posts