Tektite LS4/5 + Aspheric lens.

gav6280

Enlightened
Planning on getting myself a Tektite LS5 from Divelife.

The Blurb

Computer machined from a solid bar of Aluminum, the Expedition LS5 provides blistering 200 lumen power for those needing extreme ruggedness in a C-cell size flashlight. This Luxeon III Star LED flashlight utilizes specialized optics to produce an ultra-tight 10-degree beam pattern,with light output equivalent to more than 40 regular LEDs. This "spot" beam pattern enables the Expedition LS5 to cut through fog and smoke. Double O-ring seals give this waterproof light an underwater depth rating of 1,000 feet. Uses 3 C-cell batteries that last 5+ hours at full power with an additional 10 hours of usable light. Comes with an adjustable,cushioned wrist lanyard and rubber glare guard.

Specifications

• Depth Rating: 1,000 feet (300 m)
  • Lamps: Luxeon III Star LED
  • Lamp Life: 10,000+ hours
  • Burn Time: 5+ hours at full power
  • Power: 200+ Lumens
  • Batteries: 3 C-cell Alkaline
  • Materials: Anodized Aluminum and LEXAN®
  • Dimensions: 7.75" (20 cm) L x 1.9" (5 cm) Dia.
  • Weight: 1.13 lbs. (0.51 kg)
  • Individually serial numbere

Do you think simply bonding on an aspheric lens might make any appreciable difference?

Last edited:

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Teklite LS5 + Aspheric lens.

The luxeon III is the previous generation of LED. There's no way of getting 200+ bulb lumens without being highly overdriven. Upgrading to a SSC P4 could be an interesting mod.

As for the aspheric lens, you need to get the correct distance between LED die and lens for it to focus correctly. Furthermore, given that the outer surface of the aspheric is curved, this would render the aspheric useless underwater.

Packhorse

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sure it will make a difference. So will taking to it with a blow torch.

Aspherics need to be focused. Meaning you need to find a lens that will fit and give the properties you desire. It also needs to sit the correct distance from the LED and still have the front flat lens of the light in place.

If you really want to try modifying a light with an aspheric try a W200. Much cheaper than a Teklite and output is the same. Burn time will be different though as the W200 uses AA's. ( you could mod it to take 18650's for a similar run time)

Just a note on the quoted burn time of the Teklite.
5 hours at full power?? + 10 hours of usable light?? I bet its not really 5 hours at "full" power.

gav6280

Enlightened

The luxeon III is the previous generation of LED. There's no way of getting 200+ bulb lumens without being highly overdriven. Upgrading to a SSC P4 could be an interesting mod.

There seems to be quite a few different versions about. I think the p4 was the old model and now they have upgraded:thumbsdow to a Luxeon III? Seems odd though...

gav6280

Enlightened

W200 Claims 174 lumens using a P4 in direct drive for 2.5 hours.

LS5 Claims 200 lumen using a Lux III in direct drive? for 5 hours + Serious build quality.

So on the face of it, it would seem i would be much better off with the LS5?, on the dive forums everyone raves about it and really sings it's praises as an excellent light......

hmmmm.....

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Read post #4 again.

They're obviously using the Cree XR-E (Q5 bin) and the website has made a mistake with the specs. This would make the LS5 a good buy. Personally I wouldn't order from a website that gets the specs so horribly wrong, as you may actually end up getting the old Lux III version with a much lower output.

BTW, the W200 uses a Cree XR-E P4 bin (not to be confused with the SSC P4). Which is a lower bin than the Q5. It also uses 3 x AA cells whereas the LS5 uses 3 x C.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic

Read post #4 again.

They're obviously using the Cree XR-E (Q5 bin) and the website has made a mistake with the specs. This would make the LS5 a good buy. Personally I wouldn't order from a website that gets the specs so horribly wrong, as you may actually end up getting the old Lux III version with a much lower output.

BTW, the W200 uses a Cree XR-E P4 bin (not to be confused with the SSC P4). Which is a lower bin than the Q5. It also uses 3 x AA cells whereas the LS5 uses 3 x C.

LOL, SF often times get specs wrong on their web site. For ever they had the KL3 at 17 lumens, even when the KL3 was upgraded. My point is that often times good web sites will have the wrong specs up on a given light. I will often phone the web site and as for particular info on their lights when it looks like their info is not accurate.

Bill

Packhorse

Flashlight Enthusiast

W200 Claims 174 lumens using a P4 in direct drive for 2.5 hours.

LS5 Claims 200 lumen using a Lux III in direct drive? for 5 hours + Serious build quality.

So on the face of it, it would seem i would be much better off with the LS5?, on the dive forums everyone raves about it and really sings it's praises as an excellent light......

hmmmm.....

Claims claims claims. They are all worthless :whistle:
I am sure the LS5 is a much better light. It also has a much higher price.
I was only suggesting that if you were to mod it you would be better off modding a W200.

But there are a few things to keep in mind.
If you want to use rechargables the LS5 may not operate at full output for long before the battery voltage drops below the VF of the emitter.

My guess is that it will not run at full power for 5 hours ( even with the best cells available) but will slowly dim down and at the 5 hour mark be alot dimmer than with fresh cells. This is common with many lights of course.

I hang around a few dive forums and I have never heard of the LS5. Got any links to these raves?

gav6280

Enlightened

I hang around a few dive forums and I have never heard of the LS5. Got any links to these raves?

The LS5 is spoke of very highly and i cant find a single person who actually owns one and has a bad word to say about them.

I mainly hang out on Yorkshire Divers and occasionally on Re breather world. Also i think that these torches are not that well know outside of Europe yet?

I have just PM'd the UK distributor and asked him to confirm the latest spec and weather or not it is over driven and direct drive.

......Watch this space.

In the mean time take a look at this, as its very confusing!

http://www.divelife.co.uk/scuba-manufacturers/TekTite

Last edited:

Packhorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a search on RBW and couldnt find any info on them. ( You got or getting a RB?).

They do have a wide range. Funny how the LS4 is only 85 lumen while the LS5 is 200 and yet everything else seems to be the same including LED and batteries. ( this is the type of thing I meant when I said claims are worthless).

I guess its a comparable product to the Halcyon Scout or Proton Torpedo.

But once again I wouldnt recommend spending that kind of $$ on a light with the intention of moding it.

gav6280

Enlightened
I had a search on RBW and couldnt find any info on them. ( You got or getting a RB?).

No i cant afford it but have had a go and keep a keen interest in what's going on with the technology.
http://www.yorkshire-divers.com/forums/torches/93989-100-spend-whats-my-options-2.html
http://www.yorkshire-divers.com/forums/search.php?searchid=5755067

They do have a wide range. Funny how the LS4 is only 85 lumen while the LS5 is 200 and yet everything else seems to be the same including LED and batteries.

Totally agree, something is not right. I have contacted various sellers asking to check there information supplied to them and am waiting for a reply.

But once again I wouldnt recommend spending that kind of $$ on a light with the intention of moding it.

Sound advice thanks.

Last edited:

gav6280

Enlightened
Ok, enough misinformation. Here is the link to the
Tektite web site and current info on their lights. http://www.tek-tite.com/src/product_info.php?id=13

Bill

Yes i have seen that but information there is different from what some retailers had as the specification until today.

Yesterday i contacted the UK distributor using another forum and here is what he has to say:

hi everyone sorry for all the confusion on our tek-tite.co.uk site we have the listings as the cree p4 led 220 lumens but have forgot to change the lumb bros site and as pointed out still says luxeon star 200 lumens will change it this morning thanks for pointing it out gav.also we have changed it back to ls4 and not ls5 because tektite still call it the ls4 so we now have.

expedition ls 4 85 lumens
excursion ls 4 85 lumens both with luxeon star leds
both above are on special offer on our tek-tite site

expedition ls 4 220 lumens
excursion ls 4 220 lumens both with cree p4 220 lumens led.

it saves me altering paperwork crossing out ls4 into ls5 etc.

if anyone is still confused or needs any futher advice do not hesitate to contact me

cheers
rob __________________
For more information call Rob on 0161-681-5790 or e-mail on [email protected]

Hopefully that's the confussion sorted becaues the UK impoter's website now matches the manufactures, phew.......and more importantly i know which light i will be geting my hands on soon.

Full review to follow.......

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Still sort of confusing. Your dealer notes the 220 lumen model as a Cree P4. It is listed on Tektite website as a Cree Q5.

Bill

gav6280

Enlightened
Yeah i think the US model is q5 and is the newest and the uk version, ie current stock with dealers etc is cree p4.

I wonder if this could be modded to a P7? It has 3 Alkaline C cells.

gav6280

Enlightened
Conformation my above post is correct.

Just got a PM from Rob(Tektite UK), he has just confirmed with Scott (Tektite US) that the LS4 are definitely now all being made with a Cree XRE R2.

Stock is expected in the UK within the next 7 to 10 days.

(I am not affiliated in anyway)....Just providing the info for everyone who's interested.