Tell Us What Do You Use Your HeadLamp For?

ThirstyTurtle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Used my H602W to mow, edge, and blow my yard last week, 2 hours at 300+ lumens. Love that thing.

wrcsixeight

Newly Enlightened
I've been doing some precision woodworking and found that even with a lot of overhead fluorescent lighting, it was just not enough to properly see the lines on the tape measure or the pencil lines when free handing a circular saw on less important cuts. Pretty much every task, more light can be beneficial.

I now have two headlamps worthy of mention, a cheaper dual 18650 Amazon cree xml-t6 zoomable, and just received a Nightcore HC50. The zoom feature can be nice when light concentration at a distance is desirable, and I find that this does occur. Also the battery pack on the back of the head balances nicely and I often forget it is on my head.

medic2491

Newly Enlightened
I use headlamps way too much. I use them at home for tasks like gathering wood at night for the wood stove, fixing things in tighter spots, working on the car, etc. I also use one at work. I am a paramedic and often we are in places that are not well lit. Having the ability to have good lighting while starting an IV in someone's dark living room or in the woods is critical. Having it hands free is clutch. Sure, I get some weird looks from people on scene when I first pull the headlamp out but once I show them why they get it. Usually they say, "I need to get one of those!"

Therrin

Newly Enlightened
This is a great thread to have! Thank you for starting it. It can serve as a reality check on what people expect from their headlamps. Sometimes I get the sense that everyone on this forum needs headlamps just to climb cliffs at midnight, crawl through unexplored caves, or careen down steep, rocky trails on mountain bikes hoping to smack an unsuspecting bear's *** on the way down. They don't just need a sturdy, bright headlamp; they need full body armour and a well-cushioned jousting helmet.

I tried wearing full body armour and a jousting helmet while underground in mines, but I found it too cumbersome.

Most of those of us who use them for "extreme" things, also use them for all of the mundane, normal things as well (heck, I listed reading in bed too!).

I think it's a testament to many of the headlamps out there, to see some of the 'crazier' things that they've been used for. :popcorn: I love reading everyone's stories!

heavyduty

Newly Enlightened
I use my H52w for fishing. I usually launch a few minutes before good daylight so it helps me hook up the boat, get my gear into the boat, launch, then get my rigs together. Then at safe light, I'm ready to go.

Kabible

Enlightened
Automotive repair. A headlamp and bite light enables me to put the light just where I need it. The new HC50 is working out well. I've never liked using "drop lights". They get in the way and get 'dropped' to often.

Saul Good

Enlightened
I'm a plumber so I use mine daily in crawlspaces, under sinks, anywhere its dark or need to eliminate shadows, especially new construction where electricity hasn't been run yet.

Last commercial job I was on the super started to chew me out after I set up because he thought I didn't have a work light, so I turned on my H602 on high and he just walked away. Felt good:)

leona912

Newly Enlightened
Now, please tell us what activities, jobs, sports, recreations, specific reasons, and other purposes you use a headlamp for?

There has to be many uses for these, and it will be fun to find out what they are.

Thanks,

NR
[/QUOTE]

Actually,
1. I usually use my headlamp for jogging or walking my dog in the early morning.
2. To find something in dark corner without holding a flashlight or something, I am kinda lazy :D
3. Sometimes, reading books in the bed at night. :)

I really think that the headlamp is really helpful and very convenience! I bought my lovely LED headlamp form Amazon. :)

sam0set

Newly Enlightened
1. Five years ago, a neighbor gave me a headlamp to help him work on his big rig at night. I'm on my third headlamp, and I still use them for outdoor repairs at night.
2. Close work at my desk, day or night.
3. Cleaning lenses.
4. Walking at night. Some streets in my town are pretty dark. A light helps drivers see me. If I meet a pedestrian, light reflected off the pavement helps us recognize each other. A light helps me evaluate a prowling animal and get a look at an object of interest.
5. Chasing aggressive dogs. When a pair bothered me on the street, I shined my light in their eyes, turned it off, and ran at them. They panicked because they were now night blind.
6. Moving about the house at night. It's more convenient than turning lights on and off. The money I've saved by not leaving lights on has probably paid for my headlamp.
7. Power failures. With a headlamp I can find my way around and pass the time reading or doing puzzles.

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received an Armytek Wizard Pro, and I love it! I have already used it to put air in my tires, but I anticipate using it for many other purposes over time. I'm especially looking forward to using it on night hikes and camping/backpacking trips in general.

On my last backpacking trip we started hiking at 9 pm, and then the rain started coming down pretty hard after 1.5 hours or so. At that time I did not have a headlamp, and we were trying to set up the tent as fast as possible. The headlamp would have been an amazing help in that situation as well as all the others at camp.

I also plan on using it for many different types of work on my cars. I have always used droplights or regular flashlights, and it has been a pain to move them around and/or hold them in my mouth. My dad has another headlamp, but this new one will be a dream to use with its bright even illumination. I think life will be so much easier when using it for that.

Painting sounds like a great application too, as does working on electronics. I'm just surprised I didn't buy one earlier on. I guess sometimes you don't know what you're missing until you get one.

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
I only have 2 headlamps, a Surefire Minimus Vision and my new Armytek Wizard Pro Wide. I use the Surefire for up close low light things like when I'm doing emitter swaps on other lights, reading etc. I tend to avoid using it on max because it REALLY can eat through the cells. The Wizard is awesome for what it is. as a headlamp I used it the other night when my wife came home saying the car was making metal on metal noises. Dark plus rain and I'm outside pulling the wheels to check.....yep brakes were gone. I also carry the Wizard daily with the pocket clip, it's probably my favorite light because it can be a (comfortable)headlamp and a handheld.

njpiney

Newly Enlightened
I use my headlight for camping and hunting. It serves very well when carrying a bow or firearm and leaving the other hand free for pushing brush and limbs out of the way. The strong point is when blood trailing a deer and field dressing, when both hands are definitely needed.

va3rbz

Newly Enlightened
I mainly use my headlamps when camping. It's great to have hands free when tossing up a rope for the food bag when backpacking, or walking the dog around the campground. I've gone from a Petzl Zipka to a Tikka XP2 and now have a Myo RXP for the next trip. Back in my early backpacking days, I carried a Petzl Zoom with the 4.5v battery.

m225

Newly Enlightened
1) Work, underground.
2) Camping, tent and cabin.
3) Running I use two, one front around my neck and a red one as a tail light when needed.
4) Around the house.
5) Emergency's, power outages.
6) Model building.

tarren

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I'm a fell runner, go out the door most mornings at 6, whilst we have no large creatures here in Wales, it's good fun spotting the reflective eyes of hares, rabbits, badgers and foxes.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Close-up tasks, some walks and cycling for me! It's very long time ago I camped but if I do it again at least one headlamp will be with me.

groyne

Newly Enlightened
I use mine for daily jogging in through the forest in the evening. After using a HP25 for a while I´m glad having bought a much lighter Petzl that still emits enough light to see the trail.