TerraLUX Maxstar5 K2 5W U BIN LED for Maglite**Got mine Today**

SuperTorch

Enlightened
My guess is it was set at 1000mA ave at 5v+ ave but that got cut down when it was melting 50% of the reflectors, so they cut it to the highset level that wouldn't, but that just a guess.

Ordered my Aluminum HS reflector today :)

wtn

Newly Enlightened
Finally got time to play with this pill. I picked up a 4D Mag from Home Depot for $15.97 with batteries - very good deal. The only light that I have to compare the Maxstar5 with is an Elektrolumens Blaster JR. This is a 3W direct drive with a 3AA to 1 D adapter. This is a great light and is very bright. Of course it goes through the 3AA's fairly quick - never checked the run time but it's probably 2 hours or so. I wanted a light that had a long run time, great throw, and brighter than my Blaster JR. I use the Blaster JR. when I let my dog out at night - we have a large back yard and I sometimes have to locate him to see if he is responding to the " come" command. I think he has lost some of his hearing. The Maxstar is brighter than the Blaster. I can get a tighter hot spot with the Maxstar. When it get's dark I fully expect the Mag to have a great throw. I did expect the Maxstar to be brighter since I thought it was going to be running at 5 watts, but if it can maintain the initial brightness for 20+ hours, then I am happy. It would seem that the run time graph supports this. As far as color I would say that the Maxstar looks white, but if you compare it side by side with the Blaster JR., it is more purple in color (but not by much). I measured the 4 D cell Duracells at 1.57V each, and 6.30V stacked (no load). I measured 508 ma using the tailcap method. This comes out to 3.20 watts. The Blaster JR. measured 788 ma, with the 3AA to 1D measuring 4.18 volts (it drops fast with direct drive). This gives 3.29 watts. If I have the Blaster aimed at a white wall at about 6 feet it has a big hot spot - i would guess 12" or so. If I adjust the Maxstar to equal the 12" hot spot I would say that they are both real close in brightness. If I adjust the Maxstar to a tight hot spot 6-8" and move it back and forth through the Blaster's 12" hot spot it will cut right through it brightness wise.
So the Maxstar should easily out throw the Blaster JR. which is what I am looking for. Did I expect more? YES. Is it worth the $52 investment. I believe the answer will be a definite YES with the predicted and now graphed run times.

mhubble

Enlightened
I just finished running my MAXSTAR 5 in a 3 C CELL for an hour and 15 min non stop. Saw no drop in brightness and it didnt get hot. Wasnt quite as bright as when it was in the 5 C CELL. but barely noticable. The 3 cell light I used regular duracells. I put the diamond 3 watt that came out of the 3 cell into the 5 cell with two dummy batteries. It was as bright as the maxstar but had a yellowish tint to it. But it didnt seem to have the throw of the maxstar.

Thats about it for me and the maxstar5. Im very pleased with it. Amazing throw, very white, very bright, and doesnt get hot.(I think I got an exceptional one as far as heat goes). And battery life with the maxstar I think will be its claim to fame. I have no doubt after the runtime test I did over the weekend that a set of batteries could easily last 30 - 50 hours. Now all they need to do is make a bulb I can put in a light with a couple of cr123's that will last 30 hours!!!!!!

As far as my Maxstar goes, WELL DONE TERRALUX AND BATTERYJUNCTION.

Hopefully Ill be getting the aluminum reflector in a day or two and Ill post my thoughts on it then.

TOO everybody that posted info and opinions in here thanks for helping me learn more about LED'S.

SuperTorch

Enlightened
If it is just a change in resistor to lower the curent, and someone here with uber-skills knows what new resistor should go in the MAxStar5 to make it 1250mA then Maybe. I don't think it would have any problem doing 1000-1400mA if 1500mA is max spec but I'm not sure on thats even right for the K2, its either 1000mA or 1500mA. If the K2 does do 1500mA that spec probably would be with a killer heat sink which is not the MaxStar5. However going from 1000mA to 1500mA might get you 15% more light at best while going from 500mA to 1000mA would get 60-75% more light. I think,.......Phased Array you should take yours apart carefully and post pics of the innards for the ModGods to observe it's be a sacrifice to the Sun Gods so to speak. Looking at it desoldering the K2 would make the PR part just fall out or at least removable and the circuit board would be right there to be observed. You'd probably need brain surgen hand skills though to get it done. Once the resistor is located it'd be a remove and replace with the higher current one only job. Maybe in a year when the MaxStar5 is passed far by I open it just out of curiousity when I've move on to Cree XR-E's. If you do get the balls to go for it, go at it very slowly to give yourself a chance of success, open it up then over to the Mod arena for thoughts on the circuit board. With aluminum reflectors it damn sure won't hurt those at any temp.

Last edited:

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
wtn & mhubble - Awesome - glad to hear that you're enjoying it! I'm goind to try to get some 3 AA or 3 AAA to D adapters so people with 2 AA mags can play too!

Phased Array - The weakspot in running at 1500mah isn't the LED - it's the maglite reflector. Again, I don't think you're 'missing' 2W and would

EngrPaul - I got an explanation regarding the wattage but frankly it was beyond my ken. I'll post what I managed to retain here for you and I've emailed asking for a re-explanation that I can grasp and communicate - it had something to do with - and don't quote me here - the operating frequency of the device is near 1M cycles per second making measuring the current exceptionally difficult without specialized equipment, the voltage drop across the resistor in the DMM distorts the measurement and it's an AC, not a DC current so cannot be measured with a DC ammeter. Again - I'm no engineer so it was a bit beyond me.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
MattK,

I'm using a "RMS" DMM for the current off the batteries.

wtn

Newly Enlightened
EngrPaul said:
MattK,

I'm using a "RMS" DMM for the current off the batteries.

Same for me - a Fluke 179 DMM RMS. Last night I checked the throw on the Maxstar5 vs the Blaster JR. With a tight hot spot it definitely throws farther than the JR. It would be nice if a simple mod to the board would jack the wattage up. They probably choked it due to potential lens/reflector heat damage. For $52 total outlay I am happy.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
MattK,

Is there a possiblility there is a difference between the production K2 assemblies being shipped and the devices under test at your facilities?

Skyline

Enlightened
Just got mine today. It's not as bright as I wanted it to be, but my expectations were pretty high.

The exterior of the light only got barely warm after 20-25 minutes. However, I also noticed that the reflector and lens got fogged up. When I opened it up, I also got a whiff of that burnt smell. Perhaps it's a bit of flux burning up? The LED itself seems to be working perfectly fine. I was able to clean up the reflector with some alcohol and lint-free wipes, but I think I put some fine scratches on the lens. :(

I'm running it without the reflector or lens now to make sure whatever was being burnt off...gets burnt off.

Any ideas what caused the smell?

Last edited:

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Skyline said:
I also noticed that the reflector and lens got fogged up. When I opened it up, I also got a whiff of that burnt smell.

Any ideas what caused the smell?

Mine had no such fogging or odor. It was very clean.

SuperTorch

Enlightened
haven't got mine but I think he ships once a week not everyday - but not sure about that. I ordered quite aboit after you though. I have Cree XR-E P3 on the way that I may mod onto the MaxStar5 don't know yet.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
CREE MOD IN PROCESS

700 mA should be just about right for an XR-E :)

Yukon_MkI

Newly Enlightened
I bought two of these units and tested both of them out today in a 4d mag. Both are bright and extremely white in color. I don't have a magled to compare it with, but both leds are definitely brighter than my Dorcy super 3 watt Luxeon on fresh cells. The beam focus will not work though. It changes a tiny bit, but nothing significant. This particular light was a christmas gift in 1984 so maybe they changed the head design since then? :shrug:

And on a side note, this place may put me in the poor house. I have been a light junkie for a long time and managed to spend a lot of money before finding CPF. Now I have the shakes...

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
It doesn't focus very well, but it's definitely brighter with the Cree. I'm looking forward to the HS reflector :) For now, I will do some current measurements. I'd like to see if it drives this emitter the same.