Test/Review of Charger SkyRC MC3000

Zanders

Newly Enlightened
Is a new android app version out today?

I can't check, i am too busy with bugs looking.

Yes, but I haven´t tried it out yet.

Edit: Tried to make a new programing two times, crashed both.

Last edited:

gyzmo2002

Enlightened
Why we cannot change D and C reduce in storage mode?

When the charger reach the voltage, ex3.70v, it drops from 1A to 0 and stops the cycle. The voltage increase to 3.85v after.

usrnam

Newly Enlightened
I been thinking of purchasing this charger in part because if it's PC connection and software capabilities.

After installing the software application (MC3000 Monitor), I could not find any way to resize the program's display. The bottom part of application window is cut-off from the user. The window can be moved but not resized. Window re-sizing is normally a basic requirement for most GUI applications.

Currently going for $89.95 with free shipping.

http://www.gearbest.com/chargers/pp_260893.html?vip=94615

Last edited:

tjh

Enlightened
This review is also why I bit the bullet and bought one.
Waiting for it to arrive now, go go go shipping.

It's a shame that the current software requires a massive window you can't resize - given that it's had issues updating firmware with Windows 7+, I hope they are working on an improved version with better resizing and better updating capabilities.

tatasal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Because the Opus has a crappy circuit and doesn't use real DC, but pulsed current, which makes accurate measurements very difficult.

Well, in my experience with discharge capacity measurements, I once made a comparative test to measure the discharge capacity of my brand-new Panasonic NCR18650PF cell by using two chargers. One the Opus BT-C3100 v2.1 versus my iCharger 106B+, both on the same cut-off voltage of 3V.

The discharge capacities on the same cell between the two chargers had a difference of only 8 mAh.

...and to make the comparison fair, on both charging session the specific cell used in the tests was charged by my Xtar VP2.

This week I might be receiving my MC3000 and if time permits will be doing the same tests.

Last edited:

usrnam

Newly Enlightened
Last edited:

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is DEX and PCLS? I can't recall their meaning as I've seen many terms using the same abreviations.
Shame on the squirrel ;)
Both are silly yet practical abbreviations, the manual is full of such, introduced by me.

PCLS = PC Link Software = the official pc link software made by Sky for mc3k. i think the original name is mc3000 monitor. logs with 1Hz and data can be trusted.
DEX = DataExplorer = the third-party open project freeware pc link software which includes growing support for mc3k. logs with 1Hz.

My focus of testing and finding bugs has been 98% on the device firmware so far

usrnam

Newly Enlightened
Shame on the squirrel ;)
Both are silly yet practical abbreviations, the manual is full of such, introduced by me.

PCLS = PC Link Software = the official pc link software made by Sky for mc3k. i think the original name is mc3000 monitor. logs with 1Hz and data can be trusted.
DEX = DataExplorer = the third-party open project freeware pc link software which includes growing support for mc3k. logs with 1Hz.

My focus of testing and finding bugs has been 98% on the device firmware so far

I finally found and related the abbreviated meanings. I sometimes don't rely on abbreviations. After many years of using various same abbreviations with different meanings. I sometimes have difficulty remembering them and sorting them out.

I already ordered a BT-C3100 so I'm going to use the Opus for a while to determine charging functionalities and behaviors. The programming features of the MC3000 has advanages of modifying other charging parameters while providing a better battery analysis. My solar charger has similar functions that allows a user to view, modify and download charging paramenters from a connected PC. Which I find beneficial while trying to maintain batteries.

If the BT-C3100's fan becomes a problem I'm considering a different type of 25x25 mm replacement fan.

Do you know of any specifications such as fan type, voltage and amps for the Opus MT-C3100 and SkyRC MT3000? Fan type and construction makes a difference in how well a fan performs as well as dB noise factors.

Last edited:

gyzmo2002

Enlightened
I finally found and related the abbreviated meanings. I sometimes don't rely on abbreviations. After many years of using various same abbreviations with different meanings. I sometimes have difficulty remembering them and sorting them out.

I already ordered a BT-C3100 so I'm going to use the Opus for a while to determine charging functionalities and behaviors. The programming features of the MC3000 has advanages of modifying other charging parameters while providing a better battery analysis. My solar charger has similar functions that allows a user to view, modify and download charging paramenters from a connected PC. Which I find beneficial while trying to maintain batteries.

If the BT-C3100's fan becomes a problem I'm considering a different type of 25x25 mm replacement fan.

Do you know of any specifications such as fan type, voltage and amps for the Opus MT-C3100 and SkyRC MT3000? Fan type and construction makes a difference in how well a fan performs as well as dB noise factors.

When I bought the Opus, I bought a spare replacement fan. I have no problem with the fan.

If you want to compare the Opus in a charge tes C>D>C with the Mc3000, you could go to this thread:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/389732

Start at #255

usrnam

Newly Enlightened
When I bought the Opus, I bought a spare replacement fan. I have no problem with the fan.

If you want to compare the Opus in a charge tes C>D>C with the Mc3000, you could go to this thread:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/389732

Start at #255

I just received my Opus and in the process of charging and testing a couple dozen 18650's and some aged AA Energizers (NiMH).

Results have varied. Voltage is only one factor in determining cell charging finalization. A final voltage is know as a voltage threshold based on a percentage of current drop. Though I do take votage readings while a battery is charging. Soc (state of charge) evaluation is best accomplished after a cell has been removed from a charger and had time to settle.

My 18650 cells finalize at different voltages depending on a cell's condition. I'm not certain why a Lithium cell is ending up at 4.22 volts above 4.20. Having a lower finalized voltage is actually better for a lithium cells life expectancy. Not to charge Lithium's to their full capacity will increase service life.

So far only some cells have finalized at 4.20 and settled after removing from the charger at 4.19. While others have finalized at lower voltages. DMM measurements have match the charger's finalized voltages from "Full".

While charging, cell voltages taken from a DMM are normally higher or lower than a cell's actual voltage as the charger using PWM, pulsing low and then high then low again to maintain a CC/CV charge.

What's important for a fuller capacity is the amount of ion saturation that occurs. Cells charged with higher saturation will maintain higher cell voltages longer. There's a delicate balance during finalization as Li-ons unable to accept overcharging, finalization of charging needs to be done quickly as possible.

This may be one area where PWM CC/CV charging differs. Pulse width modulation is a frequency normally in Khz, which has an effect on a battery chemistry and ions. To simply state pulse PWM CC/CV charging is inferior to non-pulse CC/CV and other methodologies is sort of redundant with little or no scientific reasoning.

I have an older analog oscilloscope I could connect to perform further tests. However most tests with published results have already been done in regards to the Opus charger. I normally do DMM voltage measurements just after a cell has been removed from a charger and then again after a cell has had time to settle.

I'm still considering ordering a SkyRC MC3000 as soon as stock for US plug is available.

Currently US Plug is "Out of Stock"

EU Plug - "In Stock": http://www.gearbest.com/chargers/pp_260893.html?vip=94615

I found two "Free Shipping" options.

One 10 - 25 day flat rate shipping that included tracking for free.

The second Free Shipping option was listed as a "5 - 7 business days Priority Direct Mail - America Direct Express." I wasn't able to find a website for "America Direct Express". When ordering from Gearbest you need to make certain you have at least some sort of tracking. Especially if a package is going to be transferred to USPS. Past orders China Post tracking stopped once reaching the US. Adding tracking to an order included USPS tracking.

Perhaps because of Customs, some packages may become delayed for a week or more after reaching the US.

More expensive items I would recommend adding insurance to an order.
_____

I found items using carrier "Swedish Surface Mail" (tracking number prefixes of SGLBZ and Q.)

Can be tracked from Beishisheng Logistics website:

http://www.sky56.cn/english/track/index

Last edited:

johnc847

Newly Enlightened
Will this do everything the la crosse bc1000 can do? Just bought the bc1000 and noticed it gets to hot and pauses. Then I discovered this forum. Debating on returning the bc1000 and buying this is it will do everything the la crosse can.

tjh

Enlightened
Will this do everything the la crosse bc1000 can do? Just bought the bc1000 and noticed it gets to hot and pauses. Then I discovered this forum. Debating on returning the bc1000 and buying this is it will do everything the la crosse can.
Yes.
And then some.
It's the most advanced charger on the market at the moment I believe. Consumer charger anyway.

johnc847

Newly Enlightened
Yes.
And then some.
It's the most advanced charger on the market at the moment I believe. Consumer charger anyway.

Where is the best place to buy from? I don't even see it on amazon