Test/Review of Charger Xtar VP2

Richwouldnt

Enlightened
My VP2 just arrived the other day and I have not even plugged it in yet. I have some of the LG cells that need it on the way along with a custom modded light for them. I do note that for it's size the charger body feels quite heavy. Apparently a lot inside of this one.

G.Brooks

Newly Enlightened
Received mine few weeks ago, it works great. Charged some Sony laptop cells and new Panny 18650 PF. Bit a suprise how quick was charging on 1A ,me happy :)

ven

Flashaholic
Charging my 3.8v cells(4.35v) ICR 32A 6.4A

Well i have decided:thinking: i will use the 3 samsung cells as 6.4A 3200mah 4.35v should benefit me more in the tn35vn(being a 3 cell light) over the KeepPower IMR cells at 2100mah(30A rated).

I see no difference with standard pany cells(none protected) so performance wise should be fine.

Edit-Back to the IMR cells in my tn35vn as realised the extra free cell is 30A not 32A(3000mah and not 3200mah).

Last edited:

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
What did they come off the charger at volt wise? Were you able to check them with a DMM?

ven

Flashaholic
What did they come off the charger at volt wise? Were you able to check them with a DMM?

Hi RI ,i never actaully checked, it showed 4.35v and bars solid so that was good enough for me. I can run down a cell(will be later on today in 12hrs time ish) and charge,test straight away off charger with MM for you if you want:).

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you. Do not do that for me. I was just curious to see what they were when they came off the charger using the 4.35v mode.

gopajti

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tested my chargers (3pcs VP2) with 6pcs 18650 cell (Supbeam 2600mAh) start voltages was 6*3.77V (VP2 and cottonpickers voltage meter showed same voltage, so VP2 is very accurate!) I measured cells when charge was completed and voltages was 6*4.19V (after few hours rest time 6*4.18V), so I'm very satisfied. I highly recommend this charger.

4.35V Samsung battery charged up 4.35V precisely (after few minutes measured 4.34V)

+ another small info, VP2 adapter cable length is ~96cm (37.8 in)

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
Fantastic pics gopajti as always,the chargers/cells(what ever you take a pic of) look better than real life!!! :twothumbs
Thank you for the info:thumbsup:

LesSaucier

Newly Enlightened
I am new to 18650 batteries. If I used a Xtar VP2 charger with quality protected 18650 batteries such as AWs or Orbtronics, would I need to buy a voltmeter? Sorry if this question has been asked before.

IsaacL

Enlightened
Not per se. But they are nice to have and fairly cheap compared to the cost of a VP2 and AW cells...

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am new to 18650 batteries. If I used a Xtar VP2 charger with quality protected 18650 batteries such as AWs or Orbtronics, would I need to buy a voltmeter? Sorry if this question has been asked before.

You should buy/own one, even a cheaper model, just so you can check runtime vs. voltage on any/all of your cells and lights.

Get a mental picture of what your light(s) will do on low, medium or high to your cell(s,) after say 15 minutes, 30, or 60?

IMO, a prudent person playing with li-ion cells will always have a DMM.

Hell, owning a DMM is the same to me at least, as owning a hammer, screwdriver, pliers and a tape measure, et al..

Chris

markr6

Flashaholic
Finally broke down and bought one of these! I always figured I would save myself $35 and keep using WP2II and measure voltage with my DMM, but that got old. I will downgrade that to my emergency bag in my car in case I ever need to charge away from home. Plus, I may eventually get into some 4.35v cells.

ven

Flashaholic
Great choice Mark,cracking charger,as for 4.35v cells you do get a noticeable benefit as long as not in high drain uses as not IMR. Used in single cell lights(or mods on low V) a noticeable extra run time of 10-15% can be had:) So for standard lights ZL etc they will give you some benefit.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Finally broke down and bought one of these! I always figured I would save myself $35 and keep using WP2II and measure voltage with my DMM, but that got old. I will downgrade that to my emergency bag in my car in case I ever need to charge away from home. Plus, I may eventually get into some 4.35v cells.

Same with me. I wanted the VP1 in a bad way, but just couldn't justify the extra $50 above and beyond what my WP2 II was doing for me. Heck...it would have been cheaper just to buy an extra WP2 II charger, but I didn't really have a need for that.

Then the VP2 came out and 'I was saved.' Even with the hassle of having a recall, it's really a full featured and flexible charger. 4.35v capability is probably my #1 reason, followed by the 250mA charging rate and finally, the LiFePO4 capability, even though I have no Li-Po cells.

I've got a nicely functioning NC i4 v.2 here, if I need to charge up 4 cells at once (I do have a SupFire M6 and 4 Samsung 25Rs coming,) so I'm not itching to run out and buy a VP4, but I'll probably just charge them up on either both my Xtar chargers, or only on the VP2 and call it a day.

Chris

markr6

Flashaholic
Yeah I passed on the VP4 since only two slots can do 1A. That's all I ever use, except for my one 14500 cell. So that wouldn't do me any good. And no 4.35v charging.

markr6

Flashaholic
I received this quicky and put it to work. I understand the voltage while charging reads higher than the actual, but I was disappointed to find how much higher.

I was charging two NCR18650B and the voltage was around 4.10v on the charger. When taken off and measured on my DMM, it quickly dropped to 3.99v. Another at 4.18v dropped to 4.10v. So definitely not as useful as I wished, but I guess better than nothing with my WP2II.