Test/review of Charger Xtar VP4 Plus Dragon

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
What a great and thorough review, HKJ. This was one a lot of people were waiting on. It seems that Xtar provided a great product that lives up to the advertising.

nervouswreckdiver

Newly Enlightened
Internal resistance/voltmeter, this is with separate probes. This gives very consistent results when measuring IR, much better than the typical in slot measurement on some chargers, the voltmeter is also good.
Do you find these values superior to the in slot measurements of the MC3K?

nervouswreckdiver

Newly Enlightened
They will be more consistent due to the four terminal connection, but the calibration do not look as good as the Sky.

Thanks HKJ, as I already have 2 MC3K's I think I'll pass on the Dragon(would only purchase if superior in that one parameter).

DiabloBeam

Newly Enlightened
If charging 18650 batteries, is this charger better than the Nitecore D4? One difference is charge rate - It looks like the Xtar can charge 4 18650s at 1 amp, whereas the D4 would be at .375A or 2 at .750A. Any other advantages? Is the D4 better in some areas than this Xtar?

HKJ

Flashaholic
If charging 18650 batteries, is this charger better than the Nitecore D4? One difference is charge rate - It looks like the Xtar can charge 4 18650s at 1 amp, whereas the D4 would be at .375A or 2 at .750A. Any other advantages? Is the D4 better in some areas than this Xtar?

I prefer the easy selectable current on this charger and clear indication of charge current, compared to the Nitecore D2/D4. I also prefer the charge algorithms used on this charger, but usual the end result will be about the same.
This charger do also show how much current you put into the batteries (mAh) and can test internal resistance. The only advantage the D2 & D4 has is voltage readout during charge, on the Dragon you have to measure voltage with the probes before or after charge (This also makes it possible to see the voltage before charge current is applied).

Triac

Newly Enlightened
I got this charger recently and have tried the voltages/IR feature on a few new and old LiIon cells. On one of anolder cell I get a 4.11 voltage reading but the IR does not give a reading and just has the 3 dash marks. Other cells I've tried give actual number readings. How do I interpret this " 3 dash " reading or can one interpret this?

Also, is there any magic IR level after which you should not use the cell or is it is if it just gets too hot to the touch upon charging, recycle it? Hope these are not stupid questions.

I still have an Xtar VP4 that I really like but it won't charge at 1A level anymore, just .5 and .25A. Really do like this new one.

Thanks!

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had my Dragon for a couple of months now. I like it so much, I'm considering a second one.

I've just got some Eneloops and thought I'd run a Refresh cycle on them. The Dragon seems to do a Charge, Discharge, Charge cycle on Refresh as well as Test. Anyone else noticed this?

Forget that, I see Henrik says it does a 10 min charge on NiMh before starting the Discharge.
P

Last edited:

Mr. LED

Enlightened
Question, can I leave Eneloops in the charger after being charged? Or should I remove them immediately to avoid overcharging? Thank you.

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I read the review correctly, Eneloops receive a 2 hour low current top off after termination. So leaving the cells in should be fine; 2 hours after termination there is no further charging.

Mr. LED

Enlightened
But does that mean that I should wait those 2 hours so the cells are really fully charged? Or removing as soon as the charger is green they're already full? Thanks guys!

HKJ

Flashaholic
But does that mean that I should wait those 2 hours so the cells are really fully charged? Or removing as soon as the charger is green they're already full? Thanks guys!

Depends, if you want the maximal capacity wait the two hours, if you are satisfied with maybe 5% less take them when the charger says done.

CNR

Newly Enlightened
A great review as always!
I was wondering, i was going for the OPUS BT-C3100 v2.2 with the only thing bugging me to be the pulse charging, I find the Xstar VP4 25€ more expensive (70€ vs 45€) is it worth it over the OPUS ?
Apart from the Xstar not charging in pulses i don't see any other significant differences ?