Tested Cobra PMR walkie talkies batterys, very poor quality.

satelite

Newly Enlightened
I just buyed Cobra PMR walkie talkies with charging dock. I already know those original Chinese batteries are not good quality but these ones were the worst ever. First I installed the batteries in walkie talkies and let the dock charge them. I noticed the dock charged them on/off/on cycles. I removed batteries and test them with SkyRC MC3000, with capacity setting on everyone got capacity cut. Without capacity limit the charge just goes on and on so batteries doesn't charge to full voltage and the charger just keep trying to charge them like forever. So I stopped the charging and put them to discharge mode to test their real capacity. I'm sure I will not see same capacity than they have in specs (850mAh)

I already maded that decision when I buyed them to replace batteries with ikea Laddas but I liked the idea to test them before replacing. I'm shocked to see that they are even worse than I thinked they may be.

So if you buy any walkie talkie from Cobra which uses AA or AAA nimh batteries, get a good japan maded LSD batteries to replace the original before first use.

Allmost forgot (these aren't the same cobra phones I talked before). If you buy Cobra MT975 walkie talkies and replace the original batteries, the charging dock is not Delta V controlled. The charging is time based to match original batteries mAh rating. I noticed this when I charged them once in dock and discharged them after that in SkyRC MC3000 and capacity was same as original ones. These arent the radios that was having the worst nimh batteries ever but I included this to same message. I just replaced all batteries for my friends MT975's to get more speech time.

Allso if you replace MT975 batteries you need to mod wrapper a little bit from one battery to allow MT975 to charge from charging dock. Otherwise the dock thinks there is non-rechargeable batteries inside walkie talkie and it doesn't start charging. There is little contact in battery compartment which needs contact to battery negative so you need to remove wrapper a little bit from one battery to get charging working with new batteries.

Last edited:

Latest posts