Testing coatings for flashlights ...

wquiles

Flashaholic
I am "really" digging the idea of using lots and lots of keys, as well as some small nuts/bolts/etc. - to simulate worst case scenario of carying an EDC light with lots of "stuff" in the pocket in the way to HomeDepot/Lowes/etc. - that probably does sound like a more "realistic" test for these coating/finishes.

Does somebody has a one or two small pieces of scrap/test with Duracoat/Cerakote that I can borrow to torture along with the other pieces I have?

Will

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am "really" digging the idea of using lots and lots of keys, as well as some small nuts/bolts/etc. - to simulate worst case scenario of carying an EDC light with lots of "stuff" in the pocket in the way to HomeDepot/Lowes/etc. - that probably does sound like a more "realistic" test for these coating/finishes.

Does somebody has a one or two small pieces of scrap/test with Duracoat/Cerakote that I can borrow to torture along with the other pieces I have?

Will

If you need some spare old housekeys let me know and I'll send you over my collection... I'm sure if others contributed as well, you'd have enough for testing purposes... Also, assorted change would be a good one...

wquiles

Flashaholic
If you need some spare old housekeys let me know and I'll send you over my collection... I'm sure if others contributed as well, you'd have enough for testing purposes... Also, assorted change would be a good one...

I think that between the old keys that I have and the nut/bolts I will be OK, but thanks. If I start getting ready and find out that the bowl does not seem to have "enough", I will put in a request for additional "stuff" for the bowl :D

Will

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that between the old keys that I have and the nut/bolts I will be OK, but thanks. If I start getting ready and find out that the bowl does not seem to have "enough", I will put in a request for additional "stuff" for the bowl :D

Will

Cool, let us know how it goes!!!! ...and someone send this man a cerakoted part or two!!!

wquiles

Flashaholic
Let me know if you need a few pounds of mixed steel, brass and aluminum keys for your test. I bought 53 pounds off ebay to help study locksmithing.

You know, I think that I will take you up on that. I looked and I don't have nearly as many old keys as I though!

Please send me an email (in my signature) so that I can get you address to ship the "stuff" to. Thanks ;)

PM your addy, I'll find something.
I will send you a PM right now - thanks.

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let me know if you need a few pounds of mixed steel, brass and aluminum keys for your test. I bought 53 pounds off ebay to help study locksmithing.

Daniel

That's funny... that's why I have so many keys lying around as well... I also have about 500 lbs. of padlocks and deadbolts... Glad you were able to help!

PM your addy, I'll find something.

Yes! I knew someone would come up with the goods... Eagerly awaiting the results on this one... I've thus far been avoiding Cerakoted lights for fear of chipping... I hope these tests prove me wrong...

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
Slightly off topic... I originally started to look into buying a mill in order to be able to make my own locksmithing tools. $200 for a fancy grinder+tracer is ridiculous (AKA a key duplicator). Well, it was until I learned what was involved in making them. :)

Daniel

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will when do you plan on doing another run? I'd like to send you some cerrakoted samples.

Mac

wquiles

Flashaholic
Post two updated with new coated parts to be tested. Now waiting for parts that Mac sent (thanks Mac!) so that I can start testing ;)

Will

wquiles

Flashaholic
are all of the parts aluminum, or are the bezel rings coated steel?

My parts are Al, and I expect that the white head is also Al, but I don't know about the bezel rings since I got those in the mail - I would also guess they are steel.

The part(s) I am getting from Mac are likely to be AL as well, so perhaps I should not include the steel parts?

Will

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Bezel rings are high quality SS, coated with TiAlN (AlTiN). Its an electroplating process normally used to protect drill bits. Same stuff we put on clips. Thought it would be fun to throw in the mix!

Looking at the photo of the tailcap, I may have grabbed an HA one by mistake :thinking: