The ABTOMAT Police Flashlight Collection

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Heart aflutter.

I have a 3 C cell B-Lite somewhere in storage with perhaps more usage marks than this one. Thank You for providing image. The switch started wearing out and I purchased a Streamlight for security guard duty way back then.

sgt253

Enlightened
Heart aflutter.

I have a 3 C cell B-Lite somewhere in storage with perhaps more usage marks than this one. Thank You for providing image. The switch started wearing out and I purchased a Streamlight for security guard duty way back then.

If you're interested, there is a switch on that auction house site that ends in -ay...:twothumbs

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Heart aflutter.

If you're interested, there is a switch on that auction house site that ends in -ay...:twothumbs

I pm'd kitro the link to it. I bought one and it's perfect.

bla2000

Enlightened
Perhaps you already know this but to view the Photobucket photos:
  • right click on the broken image and choose open in a new tab.
  • This brings you to the Photobucket site. It will either show the image or show another broken image. If it is a broken image then:
    • right click on that broken image and choose open in a new tab.

It's a bit of a pain but better than nothing.

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Perhaps you already know this but to view the Photobucket photos:
  • right click on the broken image and choose open in a new tab.
  • This brings you to the Photobucket site. It will either show the image or show another broken image. If it is a broken image then:
    • right click on that broken image and choose open in a new tab.

It's a bit of a pain but better than nothing.

Thanks, that works great!!

I'd like to offer to redo this thread and host the pictures on my imgur. This would be with Abtomat's and/or the forums permission of course. I would make a faithful reproduction and all credit would be given to Abtomat. I don't want any credit for this I just want to preserve this thread. if everyone agrees and include all of the original pics from Photobucket before they are lost forever. Can everyone let me know if this is something they would like or if they think it's a good idea?

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, I'm not dead
Yes, I'll rehost the photos since Photobucket turned into garbage
No, I haven't stopped collecting but I have slowed way down
Yes, I have some cool stuff I'll be posting soon

And a little teaser for you all...

5byVdeC.jpg

Last edited:

boss429

Newly Enlightened
on my win 7 PC I can right click and select "view image" avoiding opening a new tab

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very awesome! Looks like the first ever weapons mount light to me. This is hands down my favorite thread on CPF! Can't wait to see it back up again.

I really like your Streamlight with baton end cap too! I picked up a 6C with a similar ASP end cap a while back. The guy I picked it up from said he was a distributor and that they were made for C and D cell Streamlights and Maglites in the late 80s.

6bjr5A1.jpg

7fp2zgp.jpg

Last edited:

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
All right, Thread Major Feature Update 3-2020: I've rehosted all the photos, as well as resized them. They're still mostly ten years old and I couldn't find the originals in some cases, but definitely an improvement. In the meantime, I'll upload some of the more recent additions in the next few days.

Very awesome! Looks like the first ever weapons mount light to me. This is hands down my favorite thread on CPF! Can't wait to see it back up again.

I really like your Streamlight with baton end cap too! I picked up a 6C with a similar ASP end cap a while back. The guy I picked it up from said he was a distributor and that they were made for C and D cell Streamlights and Maglites in the late 80s.

Good eye on the weapon light, although "first" might be pushing it. There were a few random ones going back to the turn of the century, but this was one of the first modern integrated lights.

The flashlight ASP is hilarious. Terrible idea but I'm glad it exists.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The first recorded weapon mount light in the US was a patent for a shock absorber mounted to a revolver in 1912. It was called a night sight.

Once the PR base bulb was standard there were springs incorparated in the bulb fastener assembly that made things a bit better. They became much more drop friendly but were still far from ideal. Don Keller used tried and true pieces and procedures in his earliest products. Things used prior to the advent of the alluminum tube light but had shown potential to withstand shock to a degree.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Nothing unusual about this 2C Kel-Lite, but it shows the kind of internal condition you often see these in:
X8oScCu.jpg

Battery acid has nearly dissolved the threads at the tail end:
wGFZWHE.jpg

This 5D Kel-Lite has a more dramatic example:
1bjymSP.jpg

One of the switch screw holes has been completely destroyed. This body is no longer usable:
EzuM549.jpg

On the flip side, this is a very clean 3C Kel-Lite. The 3C posted earlier in this thread is in worse condition:
rDyxutd.jpg

Long-time readers may have noticed the thread was missing a 4C Kel-Lite:
fylrzPO.jpg

Also interesting for having a Judo Head:
JcDeOl8.jpg

Another Kel-Lite 3D:
z4yfz33.jpg

Readers may also have noticed no 6D Kel-Lites in the past. This one was painted at some point:
mq5uz1y.jpg

Another Kel-Lite 6D:
6lmNvQX.jpg

Tru-Grit 5D:
t5cl6Mx.jpg

This one still has the lanyard ring:
SbtGSEv.jpg

And before anyone asks:
TrCFFSw.jpg

A weapon to surpass Metal Gear:
xI8sUfc.jpg

To be continued...

Last edited:

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's a 2D Kel-Lite:
VqvXtts.jpg

With this interesting metal rail:
FEScUdH.jpg

That connects to this:
SuhjGoJ.jpg

Which forms this:
TBkGP8T.jpg

The High Standard 10B was the second bullpup police shotgun made by High Standard. The 10A from about 1968 had a completely built-in flashlight. The 10B came out around 1972:
fTqaEYF.jpg

It was uncomfortable to shoot, hard to clean, worked with magnum shells only, and was known to destroy the flashlight. Police didn't like them and they were discontinued around 1977. I get the feeling this isn't going to be a frequent shooter for me:
0sZlxr7.jpg

Moving on, ever wonder what else you got for your money in the '70s? Here're the packaging for a 2C Kel-Lite:
jFx9U4R.jpg

Box, warrany card/parts list, and two 10th anniversary stickers:
rl9y1IR.jpg

Purchased at the very end of 1977. If you happen to have C0093543 consider reuniting it with its original package:
Xj5z4PT.jpg

To be continued...

Last edited:

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
:popcorn: Thank you thank you!! I could read this thread all day! Do you mind if I post a couple Kel-Lites I have and have come across? Hoping you can help me out with some info but I don't want to steal your thunder.