The longest throwing LED flashlight in the world (part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Photongun

Newly Enlightened
Hi there Saabluster,

I would like to place an order for the DEFT, R2 WH (or best available LED to be used with the throwing aspheric) with international shipping.

As an aside, judging from what I know about lights (which is a reasonable amount) and from where the DEFT's claimed performance lies, you probably have created the longest throwing pocketable torch ever made. Perhaps you could contact guiness because qualifying for entry in a category could be great free publicity.

Also, and I am not being cynical here, just realistic. I feel if this light is going to have mainstream appeal, and be canvassed on masse, not just to a fanatical CPF customer base, its appearance needs to be refined a little. I know the head needs to be big to fit the large aspheric and that you've kept the body small as to keep the light portable (pocketable?), hence a functional design, but its appearance isn't all that harmonious. I know it's only early days and Im not taking pot shots, just tryna give some constructive criticism but in my opinion the lights aesthetic is a little disjointed/clunky and could use some reworking in future incarnations - perhaps when you've made enough profit from selling gen 1 DEFTS on cpf! At the end of the day us CPF folks aren't overly fussed by appearance when the performance of a light is off the charts like yours, but consumers might be.

Anyway, hat off for creating such a beastly little light . ;)

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi there Saabluster,

I would like to place an order for the DEFT, R2 WH (or best available LED to be used with the throwing aspheric) with international shipping.

As an aside, judging from what I know about lights (which is a reasonable amount) and from where the DEFT's claimed performance lies, you probably have created the longest throwing pocketable torch ever made. Perhaps you could contact guiness because qualifying for entry in a category could be great free publicity.

Also, and I am not being cynical here, just realistic. I feel if this light is going to have mainstream appeal, and be canvassed on masse, not just to a fanatical CPF customer base, its appearance needs to be refined a little. I know the head needs to be big to fit the large aspheric and that you've kept the body small as to keep the light portable (pocketable?), hence a functional design, but its appearance isn't all that harmonious. I know it's only early days and Im not taking pot shots, just tryna give some constructive criticism but in my opinion the lights aesthetic is a little disjointed/clunky and could use some reworking in future incarnations - perhaps when you've made enough profit from selling gen 1 DEFTS on cpf! At the end of the day us CPF folks aren't overly fussed by appearance when the performance of a light is off the charts like yours, but consumers might be.

Anyway, hat off for creating such a beastly little light . ;)
It is definitely the longest throwing LED light but I would not classify it as pocketable. I have already considered contacting Guinness but decided I do not want the attention that comes with that just yet. I do plan to do it at some point though. I also agree it would be nice to have the light bear my own design. Partly from a looks perspective but mostly because the tolerances on each of these is so different we have to spend a lot of time tuning each light with different sized o-rings and setting the copper bases at different levels. Making an entirely new light will raise the price though and I need a workable business model to make it worth it. A second generation DEFT will definitely be in the works eventually. Baby steps.:thumbsup:

BUMBKLAATT

Newly Enlightened
I DEF want one of these bad boys, but close to 30 or so pages is WAY to much for me to read.

I am wanting one with the C/F bezel and the case, please ad me to the list and let me now about how you want the payment.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I DEF want one of these bad boys, but close to 30 or so pages is WAY to much for me to read.

I am wanting one with the C/F bezel and the case, please ad me to the list and let me now about how you want the payment.
Howdy neighbor! I will put you on the list. Payment is usually done by paypal and is not required until I get closer to making the light. Welcome to CPF!

BUMBKLAATT

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, just keep me posted! Oh yes you aren't to far from me at all i am so excited about this light, i just love those deep penetrating flash lights, i was looking for a HID "searchlight" and i stumbled across your insane creation! Cant wait to get it in my hands and show it off to everyone i know! I am glad this site exists it gives me a lot of info on torches for the future!

Aircraft800

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, just keep me posted! Oh yes you aren't to far from me at all i am so excited about this light, i just love those deep penetrating flash lights, i was looking for a HID "searchlight" and i stumbled across your insane creation! Cant wait to get it in my hands and show it off to everyone i know! I am glad this site exists it gives me a lot of info on torches for the future!

BUMBKLAATT,

I'll bet you can see my DEFT from your house, you'll have to make the next DFW Flashapoloza. :welcome:

neoro

Newly Enlightened
Hi saabluster,

I would like to make an order for this beauty with the R2 WH (or any longest equivalent LED) when its my turn.

Would require international shipping too :)

Looking forward to hear from you :)

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi saabluster,

I would like to make an order for this beauty with the R2 WH (or any longest equivalent LED) when its my turn.

Would require international shipping too :)

Looking forward to hear from you :)
You got it. Just to make sure you understand we don't produce these very fast so it will be a little while. If you do not think you will be spending time here very often I suggest either PMing your e-mail address or making sure that it is available in your CPF contact information. Thanks, Michael

neoro

Newly Enlightened
You got it. Just to make sure you understand we don't produce these very fast so it will be a little while. If you do not think you will be spending time here very often I suggest either PMing your e-mail address or making sure that it is available in your CPF contact information. Thanks, Michael

Thanks Michael,

Just another question if you don't mind.

I have these batteries which i use for my Camera flash - Maha Powerex AA 2500 NiMh @ 1.2v - Could these work on the DEFT ?

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Michael,

Just another question if you don't mind.

I have these batteries which i use for my Camera flash - Maha Powerex AA 2500 NiMh @ 1.2v - Could these work on the DEFT ?
It's possible but not probable. The higher capacity NiMHs that I have(energizer and duracell) do not fit as they are too fat to fit in the body. Therefore I would think those are to fat also but can't say for sure as I don't own any. Eneloops and Duracell LSD NiMH fit fine however.

neoro

Newly Enlightened
It's possible but not probable. The higher capacity NiMHs that I have(energizer and duracell) do not fit as they are too fat to fit in the body. Therefore I would think those are to fat also but can't say for sure as I don't own any. Eneloops and Duracell LSD NiMH fit fine however.

Thats awesome to hear, let me try it when mine reaches in due time :p
Could we request some minor modifications to the body to ideally sneak this Fat Kids into it?

Nitro

Flashlight Enthusiast
Michael, excellent work! :twothumbs

What's the average wait time for one of these baby's?

Thanks

Nitro

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am now able to make about 3 a week. I expect to be able to produce 4-5 a week shortly. My best guess at this point is 4 months. Glad to have you back!:thumbsup:
Well put me on the list for one, with an R2 WH emitter. I think I should be able to save up enough funds before then.

I can't wait to see your work. :popcorn:

Status
Not open for further replies.