The Malkoff M61!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: when will Malkoff update their dropins?

Thanks.

Yes. Gene is still working on the module design, so nothing is final yet. The reflector is unique and Gene may want to talk about that later. Re an earlier question, Gene did not have a booth at SHOT.

Bill

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for posting this. I was recently searching for this kind of data on the M60. Running it on a 1x18650 is enjoy the fact it falls out of regulation and dims over time. Gives a nice heads-up on the state of the battery.

your welcome. This data is not new. Its posted on page one of my Actual lumens thread that is stickied up top, along with lots of other data. Whenever I have technical data I usually update it to posts 1, 2 or 3 of that thread.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the data.

That confirms what I suspected visually - M60 on 1x18650 = 180 lumens, M60 on 2x18500 = 230 lumens. But on 3x123 primaries looks like it's even brighter.

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast

I really like the beam of Gene's optic M60 and M30. I have one of each in warm. While I know people will like the XP-G reflector versions, I got rid of all my reflectored drop-ins after I got my M60. I will stay with the M60W and M30W I have now until Gene comes out with an XP-G W optic drop-in. If not, and my current drop-ins are evenually rendered truly obsolete (to me) by having more efficient options that do what I need better (which right now will be KX TIR optic lights: smaller, upgradeable, and have the beam I want) then I will eventually sell my C-series hosts.

But I know there ARE optics that work well with the XP-G and more will come out in the next year, so after I have a couple of my E-series upgraded to XP-G warm, then I expect to see a nice thrower Malkoff XP-G optic.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic

I really like the beam of Gene's optic M60 and M30. I have one of each in warm. While I know people will like the XP-G reflector versions, I got rid of all my reflectored drop-ins after I got my M60. I will stay with the M60W and M30W I have now until Gene comes out with an XP-G W optic drop-in. If not, and my current drop-ins are evenually rendered truly obsolete (to me) by having more efficient options that do what I need better (which right now will be KX TIR optic lights: smaller, upgradeable, and have the beam I want) then I will eventually sell my C-series hosts.

But I know there ARE optics that work well with the XP-G and more will come out in the next year, so after I have a couple of my E-series upgraded to XP-G warm, then I expect to see a nice thrower Malkoff XP-G optic.

You might like this reflector that Gene is coming out with for the XP-G. Top quality, and from a top quality designer, from what I hear. It astounded me when I saw it.

Bill

gsxrac

Enlightened

Trying to help my uncle build a weaponlight for his Benelli I was going to tell him to go ahead and pick up an M60 but maybe he should wait a month or two :popcorn: Not to mention I am in need of two M60's myself cant wait for an XP-G!!!

v188

Newly Enlightened

You might like this reflector that Gene is coming out with for the XP-G. Top quality, and from a top quality designer, from what I hear. It astounded me when I saw it.

Bill

Outstanding! I'm just waiting for the announcement. It will be a top quality deisgn and no doubt it's from a top quality designer.

Dumb question, but I assume it'll work with a SF 9P along w/6P?

(Work gives me 123 for free, so i don't worry about them)

Liteskr42

Newly Enlightened

Malkoff site is out of M30s and M60s. Its been that way for quite some time now. I am thinking it is that way and is gonna stay that way because of the "new" dropins they are working on? It makes sense to stop making the current version if a new one is coming. But if they are just in the prototype phase why stop producing the current models? It could be a bit of time until the new ones are perfected. i would get an M60 in the meantime if they were available, I know they are that good . I always miss them when they hit the Marketplace , they go fast and they hold their price also. If I ma gonna pay within a few dollars of full retail i would rather get it direct from Malkoff and get the service along with it. So does anyone know if the M60/M30 witrh optics will be restocked soon on the Malkoff site or is that it?

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast

M30F,M30WF,M60F,M60L,M60LF,M60LL,M60WF,M60WLF is still in stock.

Just got a M60WLF and i prefer it over my M30W in my little twisty. Long runtime and just as bright as my M30W (with a sanded mag-lite lens for flood). I guess the homemade diffusor "eats" a lot of lumen:whistle:

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast

I know Gene will make a killer new drop-in with the XP-G. I just prefer the entire beam of the current versions with the tapering spill that no reflector can duplicate. All reflectors cut off the spill with a sharp edge that is un-natural & distracting to me when hiking and especially when mountain biking. I have used my M60W in a Vital Gear F2 host :)thumbsup:) strapped directly to my helmet and it works great because of the combination of a good spot that covers just the trail ahead of me (what I need to see most when traveling at speed on singletrack) combined with quickly tapering off spill to reduce the over-illumination of close-up foliage along the side of the trail and especially overhead that are not only distracting, but due to their proximity to my head and the helmet mounted light, appear very bright and hurt my night vision. I prefer them to appear in the spill more gradually as they do with my M60W, which works very well.
So as good as I know the new reflectored version will be for general use, I vote for, and will likely wait for an optic version with quickly tapered off spill (and a warm emitter) for my uses.
I don't claim to speak for everyone, just placing my vote for what works for me.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast

I like the idea of a reflectored XP-G R5, but then his MD2 and VME heads will require a lens.

Will he drive them at the normal 1A or can we expect 1.2A~1.4A:twothumbs

funkymonkey1111

Enlightened

to those in the know-does the update mean there won't be any regular old p60s made anymore?

Kestrel

Flashaholic

I know Gene will make a killer new drop-in with the XP-G. I just prefer the entire beam of the current versions with the tapering spill that no reflector can duplicate. All reflectors cut off the spill with a sharp edge that is un-natural & distracting to me [...] So as good as I know the new reflectored version will be for general use, I vote for, and will likely wait for an optic version with quickly tapered off spill (and a warm emitter) for my uses.
My opinion as well. I've been using Malkoffs for a while now but not long ago tried out one of the generic "R2"s for a few weeks. I found it distracting and found myself missing that smooth transition between hotspot and spill that the M60 optic generates.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wont the small opening in the md2 /valiant head block off some light when using a drop in with a reflector? Or is the unique reflector made for working flawlessly with the small opening?

I would guess the reflector has to be lesser in diameter than a normal p60 to let all the lumen out trough the small opening in the head.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic

I like the idea of a reflectored XP-G R5, but then his MD2 and VME heads will require a lens.

Will he drive them at the normal 1A or can we expect 1.2A~1.4A:twothumbs

I asked Gene that question about higher current to LED, and he seems to be thinking about it, but I would not want to second quess him right now. Heat sinking is really important here, and he will want a reliable XP-G module. The MD2 reflector works with his new reflector, but he is still working on it.

Bill

mwaldron

Enlightened

Bill

I'm giving Gene the benefit of the doubt, but I really really like that 8 degree optic...

Liteskr42

Newly Enlightened

AAAGH!! This is making me want an M60 even more but I dont think I would be happy with a flood version. :sigh:

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast

Reflector vs optic - I totally don't see what's wrong with the current M60** configuration, why fix what's not broken?
The transition from spot to flood is indeed good, I never thought of it this way.
I will probably keep my M60** modules.

Axion

Enlightened

When there is an M60W XPG I will be in line to buy one. That said I've really grown fond of the beam pattern of my M30W and my M60LW and I hope there is eventually an XPG module offered with an optic. I just think that these optics give the most real world useful beam pattern.

starburst

Newly Enlightened

I have three Q5's behind optics, but still use my m60 Q2/reflector!!
If Gene hits the beam and tint of the older Q2 reflector design you will
love it. With a R5/reflector I can see a lot of Q5/optics on break.

I been waitin for this baby!! :twothumbs

Status
Not open for further replies.