The Malkoff M61!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Policetacteam

Enlightened
Just got the email notification that the M61 was back in stock. Flipped over to Gene's site within 10 seconds to find they are sold out again! How is this possible! How are the drop-in gods this cruel!?! Wow!!! Back to waiting! :ohgeez:

pilote

Newly Enlightened
round 2 of the malkoff m61 came and went even faster then the first round...it sold out just after i put it in the cart!...oh well...

ok, let the complaining begin....:popcorn:

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the answer is: automated inventory. Even a couple of units generates in-stock status, but obviously they go in a flash (pardon the pun).

Maybe Gene should put the whole project into stealth mode, make us wait until he's got several hundred in stock, and then release the inventory??? ;) Nah, better to be up and down in real time, I think. I have to say, having spoken with him several times and knowing what a gentleman he is, it pains me to read a lot of these posts.

SavageBaer

Newly Enlightened
I missed the first round, but I snagged one this time! I was surprised how fast the second batch came out, I was expecting to be waiting another couple weeks. Great work Gene!!

funkymonkey1111

Enlightened
don't know gene, but have never heard a bad word about him, but it seems pretty crappy that you could get one in your shopping cart and have it swiped from you while you're going through the paypal process

Ggmesquita

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, this, among many other things, need to be corrected / updated at Gene`s website.
This could be corrected by simply implementing a reservation ticket feature at the checkout process, just like almost EVERY online store I know. :whistle:

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is not like this is the last batch! While frustrating, and somewhat inconvinient there will be more to come along. I'm sure he is doing the best he can.

FrankW438

Newly Enlightened
Just got mine today, also. Indoors it is definitely easy to see it is brighter than my M60. I think it's a good compromise between flood and throw, but I won't judge for sure until I go back to work Monday. As much as I like to "play" with my flashlights, my preferences are dictated by my duty requirements.

On a white wall, my M60 seems a little purplish with a slight donut-hole. My M61 seems a little greenish with a nice even hot spot. However, using them in a practical manner (checking a car, scanning a backyard, searching a dark room, etc) I don't notice those differences. The only differences I notice in practical settings are the brightness of the M61 and the throw of the M60. Also, the OP reflector gives a TON more spill. In fact, there is so much more spill than I can clearly see the shadow of the scallops on the head of my 6PD.

I know this sounds silly, but I can't wait to get back to work Monday so I can see how well my M61 works in "real life," so to speak...

-- Frank

EDIT: *** WOO-HOOO! POST NUMBER 100 **

nanotech17

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got my M61 today! Here are a couple of ceiling bounce comparison shots between my M61 and Quark 123^2. Im not a pro on beamshots, so these are the best I can offer till I learn more about my camera.

M61 in my 6p with two primaries.

DSCN1265.jpg

Quark

DSCN1267.jpg

Eye candy!

DSCN1275.jpg

DSCN1274.jpg

nice photos man,appreciate your effort.

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
OK, snuck out while the wife was putting the baby to bed. :naughty:

Beamshots!!!!

~~~~~Haiku XPG vs. M61~~~~

I'm on my backup computer, I usually edit and type which light is being used on the pics, but this is basic photo import, no fancy typing.... :sick2:

OK, onto the pics!!!! Same exposure, manual mode for each shot, lights on max running 1 x Li Ion.

M61
M61001.jpg

Haiku XPG
M61002.jpg

M61
M61003.jpg

Haiku XPG
M61004.jpg

Looks like the MD2 is waterproof. :devil:

M61007.jpg

M61011.jpg

M61015.jpg

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
Incredible. Just got home. Put the M61 in a 6Z, and ran A-B-C against a C2/M60 and a C2/M60F.

M61 has a beam as broad and smooth as M60F.

M61 has a beam as bright in the center as M60.

Did not compare throw (indoors).

Simply amazing.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
~~~~~Haiku XPG vs. M61~~~~

Now THAT is what I was waiting for! I've greatly admired the beam of the XP-G Haiku seeing those shots gives me even more admiration for McGizmo's reflectors. The Haiku's beam dropped my jaw, the M61's dislocated it. The tint of your M61 really makes that tree very vibrant too.

Thanks for the shots!

bc5000

Newly Enlightened
It's very foggy here tonight. I thought it might be a good time to actually see the beam.

They would only reach out maybe 20-30 yds across the field.

What I think is cool about the M61 is that it has that distinct circle around the outside edge of the spill, as you can see in the pic. Where as the M60 doesn't really have one, it just gradually fades.

M60 Surefire 6P
016-3.jpg

M61 Surefire G2
015-2.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.