The Malkoff M61!

Status
Not open for further replies.

celler

Newly Enlightened
Why should Gene start rationing his M61's? How do you know the guy that bought 10 doesnt work for the military or LEO?

Lets not forget alot of LEO use these these dropins, not just CPFers.

I can hear Gene now, "Uh, I'm sorry Mr. Sheriff, I can only sell you two." :shakehead

I find it great that a USA business is thriving, and his products are flying off the shelf as quick as they are stocked. WTG Malkoff Devices!!! :thumbsup:

Legitimate LEO or military buyers are easy to identify and service. No complaint there. My problem is opportunists that are only looking to "work" the market. Those profits should go in Gene's pockets, not some scalper. It also robs Gene of the opportunity to widen his customer base which would provide him with long term stability. I can tell you that I will definitely boycott any of these beauties I see show up on Ebay. I'll wait my turn like the rest, I just wish for a little more level playing field.

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm running the M61 with two AW 18650 (2600) - (9P with extender).

ANy ideas on runtime with those?

+1 ???

Also, for those of you running on a single 18650 - any approximations on expected runtime?

miteemike3

Newly Enlightened
+1 ???

Also, for those of you running on a single 18650 - any approximations on expected runtime?

I would imagine it's probably about the same as the M60/M30. I get about 45 minutes of continuous run time on my M30 before it starts dropping out of regulation. I'll let you know by the end of the week when my M61 arrives :)

wingnutLP

Enlightened
Well tail-standing is a bit harder to accomplish with the 6P and C2, as well as a low-high setting.

Honestly, you would probably be best served buying a Malkoff MD2 which comes with a clicky and can be outfitted with the 2 stage hi-low ring and tailstanding cap... You also gain the ability to run an 18650 which is nice.

I have a 6P, C2, G2s and a G3 - I love them all, but my MD2 rocks just as much!

The delerin tailstand offered by Moddo https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/248609 fits the MD2, it is a fraction looser than on a 6P but it is secure enough. If you wanted a really tight fit a tiny bit of padding like epoxy sanded down after application would do the trick.

I looked all over for a way to make the M60 multi leveland the only acceptable solution I could find was the MD2. The MD2 is at least as well made as my 6P and is pre bored for 18650 cells.

I am glad that I think the tint on non neutral cree's sucks and am happy to wait until gene releases a neutral (warm) tint on these babies.

From a supply and demand perspective he really ought to double the price on these babies and coin it some... I know I would on the frst batches of non mass produced drop ins.

Alex

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
U-R nuts man.... The price is fine where it is at. Most of us have a limited flashlight budget.

...........From a supply and demand perspective he really ought to double the price on these babies and coin it some... I know I would on the frst batches of non mass produced drop ins.

Alex

NightKids

Enlightened
I agree I paid nearly $100US plus shipping for this drop in. It's my most expensive purchase for a drop in till date, don't think that's cheap in anyone's books...

BIGLOU

Enlightened
I never win anything and always have bad luck with lottories and drawings. Thank God I also have a Blackberry. Gene emailed me 04/12/10 at 3:33 pm (Cali. time) and I got the message on my Blackberry at 3:38 pm. I got my order confirmation at 4:06. I got all nervous, like when tickets go on sale for a concert and I log on to get tickets and they sell out in minutes. Typing in my CC number and info. was also tricky using my blackberry once I logged in to the MD site, had to make sure I did no mistakes and lose out. I was having lunch and my wife even busted my balls when I told her I got to handle something real quick saying,"Oh you buying another flashlight". Explained to her it was a "Hot Item" and they sell out quick. At 7:48 this morning I got a notification that my package is on its way. While I was waiting I was able to get the MD2 ($49), the lens and head gasket kit ($4) and the pocket clip and tail shroud ($25). I'm still on back in order notification for the Hi/Lo switch ($22). When finished with this set up the total cost is going to be $161.30 for this baby. :eek:

bullettproof

Enlightened
Class: Priority Mail®
Service(s): Delivery Confirmation™

Your item was processed through and left our MONTGOMERY, AL 36119 facility on April 13, 2010. The item is currently in transit to the destination. Information, if available, is updated periodically throughout the day. Please check again later
:nana::nana::nana::nana::nana::nana::nana::nana::nana::nana::nana::nana::nana::nana::nana::nana::nana::nana::nana::nana::nana::nana:

txgp17

Enlightened
U-R nuts man.... The price is fine where it is at. Most of us have a limited flashlight budget.
A fair market value isn't determined by what you, I, or any other individual can afford.

The fair market value is the price at which the property would change hands between a willing buyer and a willing seller, neither being under any compulsion to buy or to sell and both having reasonable knowledge of relevant facts.

I doubt anyone who bought a M61 was being forced to do so.

If Gene increases the price, but still sells every single one of them (and he can), then he makes more profit, and thus can better provide for himself and his family.

This is Econ 101 stuff.

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
While I was waiting I was able to get the MD2 ($49), the lens and head gasket kit ($4) and the pocket clip and tail shroud ($25). I'm still on back in order notification for the Hi/Lo switch ($22). When finished with this set up the total cost is going to be $161.30 for this baby. :eek:

A pretty good price in my book!

Consider if you bought a Surefire E2DL or LX2 which has comparable output, a superb warranty and bombroof reliability for $140 to 175.

With your $160+ MD2 setup - you get your 230+ lumens, gorgeous beam profile, Malkoff reliability, a low low, the ability to tailstand, POCKET CLIP, bored for 18650 AND the ability to upgrade with different dropins :D

Money well spent brother!!! You are going to love it!!!

Not knocking Surefire at all - I have and love a lot of them and am a Surefire fan-boy too :tinfoil: I'm just illustrating the value that Malkoff brings to the table....

R.VanWinkle

Newly Enlightened
There was almost a good hour between the time I received my email until they were out of stock. I got my notification close to 5:30pm CST this afternoon.. I kept watch of it until almost 6:30pm when they finally sold out. If you got your email around that time, there was plenty to order.

Well, there have been a whole lot of posts since yesterday evening, but I feel I must respond to this slight from 021411. Up until this point I have enjoyed this forum as a friendly form of relaxation. Although low on posts I have spent a good deal of time lurking and learning. What I said was that within five minutes of receiving e-mail notification on my blackberry I logged onto my computer and the M61s were sold out. This may have been due to a long notification list. This may have been due to the crappy U.S. Gov't. server which I rely on. I was trying to make light of the fact. I in no way meant to offend Mr. Malkoff or his disciples. As a matter of fact I may have lit up enough two-legged varmints with an M60 to count as a disciple. If I had an hour notification I am sure I would have gotten one. As it is I'm signed up on the next list and waiting expectantly.

Hasta, RVW

Last edited:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
A fair market value isn't determined by what you, I, or any other individual can afford.

The fair market value is the price at which the property would change hands between a willing buyer and a willing seller, neither being under any compulsion to buy or to sell and both having reasonable knowledge of relevant facts.

I doubt anyone who bought a M61 was being forced to do so.

If Gene increases the price, but still sells every single one of them (and he can), then he makes more profit, and thus can better provide for himself and his family.

This is Econ 101 stuff.

That is very generous of you, looking out for Gene's interests. I prefer that Gene be the one to come up with that kind of an idea. He will charge what the market will bear. Right now he is spot on with his pricing, from my point of view, and provides wonderful products for the money spent.

Bill

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of the reasons I like Malkoff products so much is the value for the money. His prices now are right on. Some people on here have mentioned that Gene should raise his prices. I just dont get why people would want to pay more when they dont have to. I guess some think that if the price is higher, it will disourage some buyers and leave more available for themselves.

benh

Newly Enlightened
I'd be willing to bet that Gene didn't just come up with his pricing by rolling the dice.

I expect that he spent a fair bit of time and effort doing the math, balancing materials costs, labor costs, etc, vs the price per unit, his production capacity, and any number of other variables.

You don't build gear like this without a certain amount of analytical and deliberative bent.

BIGLOU

Enlightened
Thanks Bullfrog I also have quite a SF collection myself and also SF Fanboy. LOL. I just like it because it will be all Malkoff. I'm so sick I would have bought it anyway if it had been 5 or 10 bucks more. Thats why I'm:broke:

wingnutLP

Enlightened
Guys, of course gene came up with a price by adding up costs and adding on a profit margin. That nuch is obvious and the usual approach of a careful methodical engineer.

At the end of the day he is selling a piece of technology that gets out of date as new technology arises.

When a new computer, blu ray player, games console etc... comes out is it:

A The same price for the lifecycle of the product

OR

B More expensive for early adopters, settling to a median level in the middle of the product lifecycle and finally reduced for clearance at the end of the lifecycle

?

I think anyone here with half a braincell can answer that question.

He is of course free to set his own prices and I am sure he is making a ecent profit on each unit but it is extremely unusual to see his pricing structure in any other businesss.

I don't want to pay more and I can wait but IMOHO the early adopters should pay a premium just like in any other normal business.

Anyway, we digress, great product by all accounts and I can't wait for a neutral version (at whatever price ;))

Alex

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
$59 for the bulb
$35 for the shipping (international)

It equaled $103.XX AU

That looks more like $59 plus shipping, no? Or maybe "$100 plus after shipping"? The original post sounded like you paid $100 for a $59 drop-in.

International shipping is outrageous, but that's not Gene's fault. I have been trying to get a camera part from Germany. They want EU100 to ship a 2 ounce aluminum collar. Shipping is as much as the part...

Status
Not open for further replies.