the new Plasmaglow bulbs vs Ultra Silverstars

Elad

Newly Enlightened
Well I enjoy the Ultra Silverstars and the ExTra-Visions, they simply don't last very long.
I get avg of 6 months with them and I use a heavy-duty wire harness with relays directly from the battery. Output is 14.3-14.4v, but that's Honda for you.

So, I looked (& bought) at the Plasmaglow Xenon 100/80w H4 Gold Platinum Series Bulbs as they claim 10yr warranty, and yet are DOT compliant.

Got em today and tried 1 bulb to compare to my OSRAM Ultra SilverStars as my right bulb burned out (after only 5months use).

Even at higher wattage, there is no comparison between the two.
Plasmaglow had a higher color temp "(6000) but the Silverstar easily out-shined it.
So, with 6min total, back into the case it went and hopefully I can return for a refund.

Conclusion, totally not worth the higher price as they are more than the Silverstars, and to my eye, far less usable light (like a stock 6000k bulb).
Buyer beware!

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Oops...there is no such thing as a 100/80w DOT-compliant bulb; you were lied to.

You've also been lied to by Sylvania; the Silverstars, like all other tinted-glass "extra white" bulbs, produce less light, not more, than a plain standard OE-type bulb. Also, stock bulbs are not 6000K.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast

Elad

Newly Enlightened
Opps, I should of not used the word "stock".
-----------------
You mean Current, not Voltage. I didn't measure it, and the site says its 100/90w bulbs.
Watts=voltage x current
What it does not say is that its like a 100/90w that I been seeing lately.
So yes, I got burned on these lamps and just wanted to let everyone else to know, there not that great!

they will take them back :)
Will loose $ in shipping only.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
You mean Current, not Voltage. I didn't measure it, and the site says its 100/90w bulbs.
Watts=voltage x current
If by "you" you meant "me", then I'll clarify again that I mean voltage, not current. Yes, most of us know that volts * amps = watts.

What it does not say is that its like a 100/90w that I been seeing lately.
What does that even mean?

Elad

Newly Enlightened
Yes, I agree on the voltage drop. But I don't have much given the large size of the wires.
Perhaps you miss that I use a Heavy Duty Wire Harness / Relays that come directly from the battery, bypassing the weak Honda wire harness.

I put this harness in case I want to try an actual 130/90w bulb found here: http://www.eautoworks.com/Hella-H4-Halogen-Bulb-12V-13090W-PRD459.aspx and to beef up my CR-V
But more worried it would melt my lens. Don't like the low side wattage though. Too high
They also have the Hella 100/55w which am likely to try next. I am not the one who goes around running my Highbeams on incoming cars and the low side is stock wattage...

old_

Newly Enlightened
Yes, I agree on the voltage drop. But I don't have much given the large size of the wires.
Perhaps you miss that I use a Heavy Duty Wire Harness / Relays that come directly from the battery, bypassing the weak Honda wire harness.

I put this harness in case I want to try an actual 130/90w bulb found here: http://www.eautoworks.com/Hella-H4-Halogen-Bulb-12V-13090W-PRD459.aspx and to beef up my CR-V
But more worried it would melt my lens. Don't like the low side wattage though. Too high
They also have the Hella 100/55w which am likely to try next. I am not the one who goes around running my Highbeams on incoming cars and the low side is stock wattage...

you should give these a try. http://store.candlepower.com/64205.html

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast

I read that you use a such a wire harness and relays, but I did not read that you tested the voltage in accordance with the instructions given here.

That 130/90W bulb may be *branded* Hella, but it was not *made by* Hella, so your reliance on that brand name to mean that it is a quality product is misplaced.