The PK products thread

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Within the video (editing it now) you can see the little trout going crazy. The underwater camera didn't pick them up which would have been really cool but yea can see um swimming in the dark under the light from the PL2 before dunking from the surface.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Finally acquired the Icon holy grail...

The link.... in Pumpkin flavor too.

Thanks to the generosity of member 1pt21 this minty package light is now in the bykfixer classic LED museum.

Oh he threw in an 011 black X1 by Inova too.

Ironically the 014 ti I ordered from Amazon arrived from the UK today too.

The stuff from 1pt is going to stay nip.

I got a Clip!!! WooHoo!!! Thank you PT :thumbsup:

Last edited:

1pt21

Enlightened
Byk,

Glad you like the lights! I knew right away that the 'Link' had your name written all over it after seeing your posts with ICON goodness. I actually scored most of my ICON lights when the RadioShack walking distance from me was going out of business. Walked in to see what kind of deals they had going on and quite literally just cleared all of the pegs containing ICON lights LOL. Got quite the look from the cashier as I had to make a couple trips, don't remember what I paid (probably somewhere in the $10 range each for the different variations). Only scored two Links, one is clipped on my Bug Out Bag and the other has entered the bykfixer museum :twothumbs.

The rest of the ICON stuff was gifted over time (of course kept one of each for myself). Man, if I only knew how hard this stuff would be to come by in only a few years time..... I had at least 5 of the purple headlamps and 5 grey ones (I wonder if the people I gifted them to even use them haha).

The purple IRIX is actually sitting over my shoulder right now and gets used daily with an eneloop, and is a MUST any time I work on the vehicles. I really, really love that headlamp. Darn thing is brilliant in so many ways and I've not needed to purchase a headlamp since acquiring it. I'm 99% sure that I own one of every ICON light produced, or close to it (basically whatever RadioShack carried).

On to the INOVA, holy crap look at the differences in run time and light output!!!

2011: HI = 55LM @ 01:45
------LO = 06LM @ 40:00

2014: HI = 80LM @ 04:00
------LO = 11LM @ 70:00

Pretty impressive for only 3 years time!

Thanks for everything you provide to the community here Byk! I always look forward to reading your posts, all the way from your early days (when us few roamed the Incan Forum) until now. Keep it coming buddy :cool:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Ya notice the throw on the 011 X1 is further though PT?

Great story about your Icon finds. The check out geek musta been thinking "I wonder if that guy knows something we should know about?" "Is a fortune teller perhaps?" I also wonder if the checkout geek ended up buying a flashlight or two...

Man, I searched planet earth (casually mind you, nothing urgent) for the Clip and nada-zip... none. It was one I figured just wouldn't end up in the collection... but my gosh is it tempting to open it. The reason it is still nip is because I found those Modus models. I really like those lights.

Thanks for the good vibes sir. I still have a few oldies to restore so the how to can be added to the incan section.

1pt21

Enlightened
Hey Byk,

So the wife was cleaning out the kitchen cabinets and found a LOOONG forgotten ICON Solo. Unfortunately the thing I try to avoid with all of my might seems to have occurred:mecry:

I presume that the 2xaaa's have leaked inside as I cannot get the tailcap off (see pics of marring from using a channel-lock wrench with a towel for protection trying to get the sucker off)... Son of a!!!

Either way, the light is trashed now... I think. Before throwing a relic such as this in the trash, I was wondering if you would accept it as a member of the museum?

Please let me know, it would be nice to see it not go to 100% waste (scratch marks and all) even if the thing is broken because of my neglect and stupid alaka-LEAKS.. RIP you fine, fine piece of PK history.

Ughh I have to be honest, this is the 1st light that I've lost due to alaka-leak neglect. I try to never store ANY lights with ANY batteries in them, apparently this one fit right in the long forgotten "pen jar" for I'd say at least 3 years...

Here's the pics (trying a new photo host, so please bear with any technical issues):

BCzQTGa.jpg

jdTnkkI.jpg

58ouydj.jpg

ax09GHa.jpg

Thanks!!!

PS: now that I think about it the worst part was being so excited to find this light only to find it not work, then the stuck tailcap, then... My wife is witness, before I did anything the FIRST thing out of my mouth was OMG Byk would love this one. Then the disappointment ensued :(.

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Icon line was PK's AA & AAA collection of lights-they were not rated for rechargeable Lithium-ion cells. I use the L91 Energizer Lithiums in the lights I carry. But since these lights are not part of the EDC rotation, they get stored with NIMH. (I keep a large portion of my collection "at the ready". At on point I was in charge of the volunteers for a local emergency response team and I always was ready to provide the entire team with primary, secondary and third backup lights...
Because of the volume of lights, the Eneloops keep costs down, with LSD, long life and no(or extremely low) risk of leakage.

Last edited:

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
One factor has made me change the "mix" of my 500-600 batteries and that is the change so the new Energizer Lithium primary cells have A 20 year shelf life. I always used to keep a healthy supply of alkaleaks for my AA & AAA cells to use in an emergency-now I am significantly reducing all alkys & replacing them with Lithium primary cells. That said, I have multiple auxiliary cell carriers and like to keep at least two Lithium ion rechargeable cells attached to all my PK lights to maximize output....

1pt21

Enlightened
You all are NOT making me feel any better about the situation :sigh:

But in all honesty, I do make an effort to not keep cells of ANY chemistry inside of a light unless it is my EDC of course. It's just a practice I've learned on here from seeing so many stories like my own...

Whether it be parasitic draw on RCR's (risk of over-discharge on non-protected cells, that I use mostly) or alakaleaks, I just don't like to keep batteries in lights that are not being used (I confess; there are MANY). This one happened to get scooped into the "Pen Jar" that disappeared into the cabinets for years, I do understand that it looks like a pen, fit in the pen jar aaand is after all a PEN light :ohgeez:

Byk, would you mind PM'ing me your addy once again?? I know I probably have it, but you know how that goes..

At least I can get the small satisfaction of not throwing this work of art into the trash, thanks Byk :twothumbs

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The batteries that come in nip Icon Solos have passed the expiration date. (015)

I aint skeered.

wFfYrFE.jpg

I get what you mean about the pen cup.
All flashlights in this pen cup, going back to the 1930's and all have batteries.

4ETWaHL.jpg

I told the kids a wounded warrior is coming to live with us.
They said "HOORAY!!"

Speaking of PK products:
9rbt2va.jpg

The new issue of Concealment reccomends a PKDL PR-1 as part of an EDC assortment that could save your life.

nkKohOc.jpg

It's in good company.

Another PK idea is nearing fruition:
nY11CTk.jpg

Stainless steel kickstand for the 1 leg-ed wonder.
Goldilox approved... not too soft, not too firm, but after a year of trial & error... juuuuuust right.

Last edited:

1pt21

Enlightened
Oh man am I feeling that clip!! It may look big to some but I am a HUGE fan of pocket carrying my EDC (light in the pocket, clip facing out), and it looks to be perfection. Did not expect any less.

Just curious Byk, what's the red looking light in this pic?? I'm sure you've posted it before, and I darn well 'know' what it looks like but I'd love to hear it from the horses mouth and maybe even a couple pics. Again, I'm sure you've posted it before but hey gotta ask...

Thanks buddy!!!

1pt21

Enlightened
There is a Ti Solo on "the bay" for $7.99.
I have my entire Icon collection together, but only use NIMH in them to avoid the "alkaleaks" destruction....

I had no idea they were so readily available for cheap! I'll have to check that out for a replacement.

As Byk mentioned above, wonder what happens to all of these lights that are packaged with alkaleaks installed sealed in a clamshell..... I mean they must leak after so many years past expiration date. Must put a lot of good lights in the landfill (or on ebay for super cheap).

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Oh man am I feeling that clip!! It may look big to some but I am a HUGE fan of pocket carrying my EDC (light in the pocket, clip facing out), and it looks to be perfection. Did not expect any less.

Just curious Byk, what's the red looking light in this pic?? I'm sure you've posted it before, and I darn well 'know' what it looks like but I'd love to hear it from the horses mouth and maybe even a couple pics. Again, I'm sure you've posted it before but hey gotta ask...

Thanks buddy!!!

I received 4 prototypes of the clip that will likely go into production. I had promised 3 to PL2 owners way back when the idea was first discussed. Of course I'm keeping one of them so all four are spoken for.
But when production takes place I will send one to everybody who has bought a PL 2 from me and they will be standard equipment on new ones.

Now that 'red' light.... never mentioned it (as I recall). It's FL2 #289 in cerekote copper.
XbdTuGg.jpg

1pt if you scroll waaaaaay back to near the beginning of PK's posts on his personal page (geez that was a lot of "p's" there...), you will see a yellow and a gray cerekote'd FL2. One of each were done then laser etched. Two were done in copper color.

One day I received a package in the mail with a few lights and a note saying "for the bykfixer museum". #289 was in it. It was a coating demo light so it has a few scars.

The clip used to be a PR-1 clip, but I demel'd the anti-rotation ears off and opened up the ID about 1/2 mm to slide over those fat-@$$ o-rings at the tail end. (Note the position of the front end, perfect! My test fit had me jump up and click my heals. lol)
It works fantastic for pocket carry (inside or outside) and belt carry. (Note my clipless PR-1 stays inside my pocket with knife etc) I carry ole #289 at work sometimes to wow the fellas.

Last edited: