The replacement of U2 tailcap

mbirds

Newly Enlightened
I know I'l dredging up an old thread, but recently my 4-month old U2's clicky was getting stiffer and stiffer, and finally froze up in the off position, and only momentary was working. Not wanting to screw around with SF from Guam, I followed MayCooper's instructions here. Heating the retaining ring with a lighter did the trick and I could unscrew with pointy tweezers. Cleaned and relubed the mechanism with Radio Shack teflon liquid lube, and it works better than when it was new. I am confident the newly lubed tailcap will work much much longer, mine only had small amounts of gunky lube on the springs when I opened it. Thanks MayCooper and CPF!

Braddah_Bill

Enlightened
Seems to me that pulling the switch apart and putting a little lubriacation on the 2 black plastic parts (like a retractable ball point pen clicky) will slove the problem without having to bend or mess around with the little metal tabs. After using some Radio Shack Lube Gel the switching action feels smoother and a lot more quiet.

Yesterday I took out the batteries and pressed 100 on/off cycles, and just got done doing another 100 on/off cycles today......that amounts to over 2 months of turning on and off the light 3 times a day. The switch now works flawlessly and I am confident that I will no longer have any problems with it.

Bill

ChocolateLab33

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have to quickly chime in here. I own two U2's. I love them. One of them did have a switch problem and it was very quickly replaced by SF, no questions. The other one is fine. They both have a very slight donut inside on a wall but outside in the real world you can't tell there is a donut. The tint on them is very white and bright. IMO, the U2 is an all around, great light for many applications.

:goodjob: SF.