• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired "The Torch" Interest / Sign-Up Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bogus1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Perhaps you could list the color of hosts so we can scramble for them. I'd be good with a pewter, red, purple or blue.

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bogus1 said:
Perhaps you could list the color of hosts so we can scramble for them. I'd be good with a pewter, red, purple or blue.

I have 4 red and 5 black in house.

Mac

Crosman451

Newly Enlightened
Blue is good for me Mac and I'll use my Triton charger. So to recap this order, one Torch in blue with batteries.

Let me know when and how much to PayPal.

Thanks again,

Mike

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've direct-driven the 623 from 4D LiON.. these cells can actually probably hold higher voltage, but eyes play games.. the 625 appears brighter because it's whiter.. i would not expect this light to be as white as the USL, but it's smaller i think.. i also like the batteries better, and there is virtually zero chance of instaflash with the 623 lamp... those 'whiter' lights are way more finicky.

-awr

WAVE_PARTICLE

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you saying that "The Torch" can run off of 4D Li ions? Would it be as bright and what would the runtime be?

andrewwynn said:
I've direct-driven the 623 from 4D LiON.. these cells can actually probably hold higher voltage, but eyes play games.. the 625 appears brighter because it's whiter.. i would not expect this light to be as white as the USL, but it's smaller i think.. i also like the batteries better, and there is virtually zero chance of instaflash with the 623 lamp... those 'whiter' lights are way more finicky.

-awr

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
andrewwynn said:

-awr

Actually I ran the pack down a little and installed a 62138 USL Lamp and didn't notice it being noticably whiter. Though it's tuff unless there bith in hand. I should have the Bodies machined this weekend and will compare both units hand in hand.The 623 driven at 14+ volts is far from yellow. Compared to the Mag85 I would say their Real close in color temperature.

You cannot run the torch from 4d Li-Ions. The "Torch" is smaller than a 2D.

The main reason I choose the 623 lamp was for the non "InstaFlash" :)

Mac

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
Mac, let me know when you want me to pull the PP trigger. My gun is still somkin from a recent Bare Al purchase!!!

I would like to be able to charge the batteries as a "pack". Maybe compatible with the Fivemega Mag85 battery holder that charges using the "Universal Smart Charger" I have????

I want that Red one w/ grooved head and engraved Tailcap!

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think "The Torch" is about the size, but smaller than a 2D light, so obviously can't fit 4 Ds inside..The 64623 lamp in there will run from 4D LiON.. however i wouldn't run them direct drive, you are virtually guaranteed to ruin the batteries the first time you use them. (DD of LiON with a high-power incan light).

From my testing of the 138, the 625 and 623 lamps.. the 625 is the winner if you want the brightest light.. 3000L regulated output with the 'Mag625'. The 623 can output more light with fresh cells, but even direct-drive from 14.4V it won't appear as bright as the 625.. but it's more homework and cost.. when you see the price of a turnkey light based on the 625, you'll not be unhappy you saved money buying the torch.

Additionally.. you really can't tell the difference unless you are professional flashlight maker between the different 100W lights unless you know the difference and are looking for it.. 2500L from a USL.. 3000L from the Mag625..

The chart for the IB 1400 is here (i'd link directly but that's against the rules).

The cell will start at 1.3V initially.. estimating about 30mohm for circuit resistance.. that gets you 15.3V to the lamp and whoaza.. 4200L.. somewhat short lived.. 120mAH or 42 seconds later, the cells will be at 1.25V/cell or 3700L.. 2.4min to 1.2V/cell at 3200L.. then you get a nice burn to 800mAH where it'll be at 1.15V/cell and 2700L.. 5 minutes.. 1075mAH or about 6.5minutes.. 1.1V/cell 2350L.. 1300mAH to 1.0V per cell and 1680L.. 40% of initial output..roughly 8 minutes of quite a ride.

The BURST at the beginning has got to be quite a rush.. the LiON Ds drop to 14.2 or 14.4 nearly immediately so the 623 never seems brighter than the 625, in the case of the torch, looks like quite a different story.. the color could be orange as a pumpkin and an extra 1200L is most definitely going to seem brighter.

So.. the results.. you will get quite a 'burst' with fresh cells.. and even the nominal voltage looks like it'll net you about 2900L In lumens per CC.. i would be betting on the Torch as the reigning champ... i can absolutely guarantee instant smiles with this light, just like the USL, or any Mag100.. but when you factor in the micro size.. wowza.

Take note of the mention of being meant for bursts of use.. a full burn on this light would probably break the lens.. i've taken out 3 UCLs so far with Mag100s and they are usually running about 120W.. The torch starts out puttting a PUNISHING ONE HUNDRED SIXTY WATTS to the lamp! There is a very good reason it's brighter :-D

Figure on a third of those or 53W getting back even through the finned head into the body of the light.. a full burn would probably get the body up to an AVERAGE temp of 130F.. the head should get over 200F on the bezel.

So.. have a blast, just be careful.. 160W is most definitely not a toy.. a USL start life at about 125W, drops to about 120W nominal.

fun stuff keep up the good work

-awr

therisensun

Newly Enlightened
Mac,

Definetly interested. Pewter would be nice. Would definetly be interested in an extra battery holder or two -- with the short run times -- even using short bursts -- just makes sense not to have to wait to recharge the pack or take it apart to put in a new set of charged cells.

Sure would be nice if there was enough room to put in a hotdriver -- opens it up to other 100W bulbs or even a 64610 :) .

Max

chasm22

Newly Enlightened
Mac,

I would really like one. I signed up in the other thread. Didn't see this one until now. Any left?????

chasm22

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
chasm22 said:
Mac,

I would really like one. I signed up in the other thread. Didn't see this one until now. Any left?????

chasm22

One has your name all over it :)

Mac

chasm22

Newly Enlightened
Mac,

You just made my day. I'll take the full package, would prefer blue, red or pewter. PP ready.

Chuck
CPF=chasm22

DaveNagy

Newly Enlightened
What the hey, I'm in for one. Any host color but black, please. Pewter would be nice. I'll need the cells, or maybe even two cell-holders and two sets of cells if that sort of "special order" is possible. An extra bulb might be a good idea as well, now that I think about it. I don't need a charger. (Well, I do, but I've already purchased a Triton with my USL. Maybe I'll even see it someday. ;) If not, I'll just order it myself.)

If you don't want to deal with all those special requests, I completely understand. I'm sure I can find the cells and bulbs on the open market. Not sure about the cell holder. Is that custom?

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have done some talking with a CNC shop and the Torch will be the first light I offer with Fluted heads. The Price upgrade for these is $15 over the Grooved heads.

Mac

MVC003S-vi.jpg

MVC005S-vi.jpg

MVC006S-vi.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts