• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

The WOW factor new light

bleagh

Newly Enlightened
Got mine today. I purchase two (1 brass, 1 HA).

Before I say anything else I should say that I am fairly new to led flashlights. These are my first Peaks, my first XML, and my first brass...

Fist impressions, the light is bit bigger (longer) than I expected (even though I was expecting it to be long). It is more floody than I was expecting (yes even after they said it was quite floody). I like floody. And often when I hear 'quite floody' I end up being dissapointed. This is the first flashlight that actually exceeded what I was expecting with reguard to flood. The only downside of the very floodyness of the light is it means I will tend to use higher levels than I was thinking I would use.

There are a few downsides to this light..., but nothing major.
It's bigger than I was expecting (I would actually prefer a pocket style with AA battery, it would be just as small and more battery).
I have to be careful to make sure the light is turned all the way off when playing with the light in the daytime (it is easy to turn the light down but not get it all the way off).
The head on the HA light is darker than the battery tube (the battery tube looks like dark grey, not black).

bleagh

Newly Enlightened
IMG_2708.jpg

Strange, cause this picture shows the body being a fairly close match to the head in color.
With mine, the body is quite gray. More so even than the picture here:
http://www.em-mgt.com/LED/Vesuvius.html

Last edited:

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Curt did put a disclaimer saying that the heat from this light is enough to destroy itself, hence this light is not covered under a warranty..

I concluded it's simply not possible. I'm guessing the reflector is Al (but I asked Curt just to double check). I would worry about the electronics and batteries frying well before it reaches its melting point (1220 F). If anything the entire flashlight would start to melt.:eek:

I have to be careful to make sure the light is turned all the way off when playing with the light in the daytime (it is easy to turn the light down but not get it all the way off).

I had the same problem yesterday. I now visually confirm the light is completely off, but the momentary switch should solve this problem.

Strange, cause this picture shows the body being a fairly close match to the head in color.

I noticed this as well, but I kinda like it.

Last edited:

BVH

Flashaholic

I would call my body a dark charcoal and the head, black. They really are not that far apart from each other with my light. I had to look for the difference.

Death's Head

Enlightened
Derek Dean. Did you use an IMR battery?
Still does look like a lot of light. Just very floody.

Last edited:

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Reflector is definitely warping. Not my eyes after all. I ran the light on high at 10 second intervals at most. Jorgen I recall you mentioned running yours for 1~2 minutes straight, I would recommend checking your light.

From now on I will only run on high very briefly.

Last edited:

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glad to hear your lights aren't damaged. From now on when it gets hot I'm turning it off completely.

Jorgen: Thanks for the link. QTC in SS is sold out but brass is still available.

BVH: I did a few experimental 30 sec. runs as well and the warping became more noticeable today. The best way I could describe it is the reflector's getting wrinkly right next to the emitter. It isn't major, I guess it's like getting the first ding in the HA.

Last edited:

Death's Head

Enlightened
Maybe if I'm turning it on high, I will have to hold the light near the head and turn it off when it gets too hot to touch or something.

bleagh

Newly Enlightened
I've run mine on high several times with no problem. As long as you watch heat it shouldn't be a problem.

BVH

Flashaholic
An observation of my Vesuvius. I noticed when I first tried it on the lowest setting I could get, it was so low, I could easily look straight into the led with no issues. I could barely see any light in a darkened room. I then played around on high thru low and noticed I could not duplicate the low low I saw before no matter how fine my twist movements. I figured out that once compressed to greater than very low output compression, it takes a little bit of time for the QTC to re-expand to the point of allowing the very low lows. Makes sense with a dense foam material.

Death's Head

Enlightened
An observation of my Vesuvius. I noticed when I first tried it on the lowest setting I could get, it was so low, I could easily look straight into the led with no issues. I could barely see any light in a darkened room. I then played around on high thru low and noticed I could not duplicate the low low I saw before no matter how fine my twist movements. I figured out that once compressed to greater than very low output compression, it takes a little bit of time for the QTC to re-expand to the point of allowing the very low lows. Makes sense with a dense foam material.
I've had the opposite experience with Peak QTC lights. Almost like there's a break in period with the QTC foam. But for some reason, the V, I can get really low every single time. I mean so low, I have no use for it at all.
Here's a pic where I wanted to show how low I could get the light. But I had to ramp it up a little to be able to photograph it. I could get it probably 75% lower than pictured.
DSC08366.jpg

Well i guess a Ha version will hold me over until the SS version arrives.
Same here. I had a brass Volcan, and just didn't warm up to it. I did enjoy the SS Eiger though.