The wrist light, the watch flashlight. Perhaps the ultimate EDC light?

Tony Clifton

Newly Enlightened
Re: The wrist light, the watch flashlight.

Edit: Ironically, I can find no "smartwatch" with a flash/flashlight app. The ubiquitous "lol I've got flashlight on phone" doesn't apply to the world of smartwatches. Cameras, yes. Zero flashlight capability as far as I've seen. Lackluster backlights as well, not even up to the challenge of outdoor daylight in some cases.
That's because there's a flashlight app built right into Android Wear (I can't speak to the iWatch). Of course, it's not really a substitute for a dedicated flashlight in many circumstances, but I use it quite often (e.g. looking for something under my desk or on my nightstand after going to bed).

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bulky watch light on my wrist and winter jackets would drive me up wall.
I'd as well be getting caught up on things.
That's just me and my views on them though.
Maybe you'll find something so I'm watching for the light☺

Interesting read MV, thanks.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast

That's because there's a flashlight app built right into Android Wear (I can't speak to the iWatch). Of course, it's not really a substitute for a dedicated flashlight in many circumstances, but I use it quite often (e.g. looking for something under my desk or on my nightstand after going to bed).
I haven't yet bowed to the desire for a smartwatch that isn't a standalone phone yet. Are they just turning the screen white and maxing brightness, or is there an LED emitter on (some) of these smart watches?

As it's on topic for wrist lights, I've been doing some reading about this but haven't really found out any info on the light capabilities.

Just a screen light? Anyone with more info?

Bulky watch light on my wrist and winter jackets would drive me up wall.
I'd as well be getting caught up on things.
That's just me and my views on them though.
Maybe you'll find something so I'm watching for the light☺

Interesting read MV, thanks.
I agree with the bulk of a big wrist light, particularly in the winter in areas were you put on and remove layers frequently. I could see it being less a problem in Hawaii or something. :)

As far as I can tell the two slimmest so far are the Victorinox Night Vision II ($500) and the Dakota Wrist Watch Flashlight ($25.) The output and runtimes were comprimised for ease of wear, it seems.

Glad you're enjoying the thread.

Last edited:

Tony Clifton

Newly Enlightened

I haven't yet bowed to the desire for a smartwatch that isn't a standalone phone yet. Are they just turning the screen white and maxing brightness, or is there an LED emitter on (some) of these smart watches?

As it's on topic for wrist lights, I've been doing some reading about this but haven't really found out any info on the light capabilities.

Just a screen light? Anyone with more info?
I bolded what my Moto 360 does, and AFAIK all the other smart watches are the same. Again, it's not meant to be a replacement for a proper flashlight (that's what the Streamlight or HP1 in my pocket is for), but it's nice to have in certain situations.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast

Cool, thanks TC. That's what I was thinking.

I'm hoping this thread will be of value for those hunting for the answer to these nagging questions. Besides, before I started digging I'd never heard of ANY of this stuff except the SF 2211 series. It's really not very mainstream at all!

mahoney

Enlightened

Years ago I spent some time and money creating a bracket and strap system that would hold a flashlight on my wrist. It proved to be much less useful than I had hoped. When working I found my hand or the tools would get in the way of the light, and when looking into holes, etc., the light was not at a good angle to my line-of-sight. I really wanted the flashlight on the wrist to work...well cause it was cool looking. But I found a headlamp was much more useful to me when working in darkness. YMMV

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast

Lol, M. My intention was belt buckle light, 2 wrist lights, AND a headlight. :)

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast

(Just need another 2211 for my right wrist and a cool belt buckle light and I'm good to go.:) )
Question: Does the watch rotate or something? Is the 2211 Luminox good on either hand? I was wondering about that. Several of the watch lights shine the emitter at 12 noon position so that would work on either hand.

Tejasandre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's my Apple Watch with dqg "app"
9db93a034d288ea4267960e015af6e91.jpg

Srsly Someone should be able to make a case that holds both.

socom1970

Flashlight Enthusiast

Question: Does the watch rotate or something? Is the 2211 Luminox good on either hand? I was wondering about that. Several of the watch lights shine the emitter at 12 noon position so that would work on either hand.

No, it does not rotate. Left wrist wear only.:(

Kestrel

Flashaholic

Lol, M. My intention was belt buckle light, 2 wrist lights, AND a headlight. :)
Made me smile. :)

Don't forget that the new Fenix HL05 headamp we're talking about looks like it can detach from the headband and clip onto a shirt pocket. So you might have a few more usable points.
Will double-check on that feature via hanging laundry on the line this weekend.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast

Received a NiteCore T360 yesterday. I like it for what it is: Bigger than a NiteCore Tube. The bracket that can be placed on a backpack shoulderstrap, hat, or whatever, may be just short enough for a man's sized wrist on some kind of sport-type wrist band. The pivot feature is useful. The user interface is different than the Tube, in addition to 3 light levels. The tint is 'warmer' than the tube but stark in a pink kind of way. Neither the Tube or T360 play well with Nichia warm LED's; makes them look dingy brown.