Thermal Adhesive question?

mnm99

Newly Enlightened
Currently I have been using Arctic silver Thermal adhesive. I'm looking for the same thing, but I need more quantity. Anything out there that will compare and not cost a lot of money?

continuum

Newly Enlightened
Yep, 50g of Arctic Silver Thermal Adhesive is one way to go. If you don't find anything you like at McMaster, Mouser and Digi-key usually also have plenty of selection.

DellSuperman

Flashlight Enthusiast
As far as i know, Artic Silver alumina is not an adhesive. The compound will thicken but will not harden.
So your MCPCB has to be held in place by screws or reflector.

Last edited:

RoGuE_StreaK

Enlightened
The one listed here seems to indicate it's an adhesive, unless they have their info mixed up (quite possible)

"Arctic Alumina thermal adhesive is a two part permanent adhesive for thermal joints in minimum bond line applications. It is not intended to be used between a CPU and the CPU heatsink. On a CPU please use a thermal compound such as Arctic Silver 5, Ceramique 2 or Arctic Alumina."

From what I can gather, Alumina is preferable where you need to ensure there's no electrical connection, but which is the better from a purely thermal perspective?

Epsilon

Enlightened
You have two types of adhesive, the silver based (silver colored) and the aluminium oxide based (white color).

The Alumium oxide based adhesive can be used as a potting compound as it is non-capacitive and non-conductive. In retail price they to not differ a lot.
I mainly use the silver adhesive for mounting stars to heatsinks.

DellSuperman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The one listed here seems to indicate it's an adhesive, unless they have their info mixed up (quite possible)

"Arctic Alumina thermal adhesive is a two part permanent adhesive for thermal joints in minimum bond line applications. It is not intended to be used between a CPU and the CPU heatsink. On a CPU please use a thermal compound such as Arctic Silver 5, Ceramique 2 or Arctic Alumina."

From what I can gather, Alumina is preferable where you need to ensure there's no electrical connection, but which is the better from a purely thermal perspective?
There is the 2 part kind which is the adhesive ones & there is the work-on-its-own kind, which is the non adhesive kind..