Thor Cyclops 10,000 candlepower?

mick53

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I was in a second hand store today and spied a huge light that was on a stand that resembled something made for a small cannon and was adjustable for windage and elevation.

I bet the light itself weighed 6-8lbs. It was marked Thor, Cyclops and 10,000 candlepower. I own a few flashlights but no spotlights. It was unmarked so I asked the owner what he wanted for it. Here's what the said.

"I don't know anything about it or if it even works. The person who took it in doesn't work here anymore. Make me an offer. I'm tired of looking at it."

So I don't know if the thing works, if the bulb works, if the battery works or anything about it. I can say it looks like it was taken care of. It's clean with no bumps, dings or signs of abuse.

Is there a way to test it? If so, tell me how, please. I didn't fool with it at all.

Should I make an offer? If so, how much?

Thanks

RetroTechie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mostly, bulbs are cheap (I think! :thinking: ). Broken or not might even be visible by closely looking at the bulb. Battery might be good or wasted depending on use/maintenance. Condition of the housing is an indication of that use. But if light sat on the shelf all the time, battery might be wasted anyway. What else is in a light like this, besides battery, switch & bulb?

A quick Google image search suggests that something similar can be found new around the $50-60 mark.

What would you use it for? For that use, what would you be willing to spend? Into this kind of lights? If so, could be a nice modding host. If not, even a few $$ might be too much.

Robstorch

Newly Enlightened
Thats funny, I just picked up a THOR X 10,000,000 candlepower 2 days ago from a thrift store. It was dirty, missing the battery, missing the charger and missing the battery door. I offered $10 for it and it was senior discount day so for $8.40 it was mine. I had a battery for it, I had a charger from another project that was the right volts, amps and plug and a small bungee cord keeps the battery from falling out. I cleaned it up and it works perfectly. It has a high power (narrow, very bright and yellowish beam) and low power (ugly weak wide beam). Its impressive! Folks like to mod these but mine is fine for me now.

It's probably a "10,000,000 CP" which is marketing speak for "~200,000 CP". The stock light runs a 100/130W H4 halogen, with wires and switches that can't supply the bulb with enough current, and an SLA battery that's good for maybe 15-20 minutes at best.

If the thing is still available, I'd just flip the switch and see what happens. If it turns on, I'd pay $20-30. If it doesn't turn on, it will need a new battery at minimum, and those run ~$20, so I would not pay more than $15-20. (I bought two 10MCP Thors for $20 when they were new at Costco about 9 years ago, and a similar O'Reilly light for $15 because it had a dead battery).

If you do buy it, as FRITZHID said, they make good hosts for HID mods. You can pick up a 35W kit for $30-50 that will drop in with very little modification and give you much more light (3000lm and about 400,000-500,000CP). You can also replace the battery with NiMH or Lithium for better life.

hron61

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thats funny, I just picked up a THOR X 10,000,000 candlepower 2 days ago from a thrift store. It was dirty, missing the battery, missing the charger and missing the battery door. I offered $10 for it and it was senior discount day so for $8.40 it was mine. I had a battery for it, I had a charger from another project that was the right volts, amps and plug and a small bungee cord keeps the battery from falling out. I cleaned it up and it works perfectly. It has a high power (narrow, very bright and yellowish beam) and low power (ugly weak wide beam). Its impressive! Folks like to mod these but mine is fine for me now.

Was it at the Bremerton wa goodwill? if so i saw it too but passed on it.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
You should have bought it and worried if it worked later on,you could pick it up for next to nothing.