Thoughts on Eneloop D-cell adapters?

tpcollins

Newly Enlightened
Just wondering if using an AA in a D-cell adapter has any real advantage since the AA has about 1/4 the m/Ah capacity? Using D rechargeables will cost a fortune if you need (6) or so in series plus you'll have a drop in overall voltage total.

I have a cam that takes (6) D cells but I tried some old Eveready nickle-cadmiun and evidentally the total voltage wasn't enough to operate it. So I'm not sure if Eneloops AAs would be any better. I'd sure like an alternative to buying Duracell alkalines . . .

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have had good luck with Eneloop AAs. They maintain nearly 1.4v for much of their life, at moderate drain. Get 6 "Low self-discharge" AAs (8-pack of Rayovac "Precharged" should do) and wrap in paper so they're wider. You might need 15mm conductive spacers on the one end too. See how that does and you've only lost $15.

Shadowww

Banned
If those D's are arranged one-after-another, you can put 7 AA's (or C's) in that space. This will give you higher voltage (8.4V), which is closer to 9V from 6 D alkalines.

tpcollins

Newly Enlightened
The batteries load in 3 groups of 2. If I were going to try something different I might use some battery packs for (7) AAs and use something like alligator clips to connect to the unit's terminals. I do have a solar power panel that has an internal battery as well but can't always locate it where the solar panel is in the sunlight for any length of time. Thanks.

wshyang

Newly Enlightened
I have had good luck with Eneloop AAs. They maintain nearly 1.4v for much of their life, at moderate drain. Get 6 "Low self-discharge" AAs (8-pack of Rayovac "Precharged" should do) and wrap in paper so they're wider. You might need 15mm conductive spacers on the one end too. See how that does and you've only lost $15.

Where can these conductive spaces be bought? Are they little round metal plates you can use at the "***" end of the battery to help the large D-sized springs get a good contact with the rest of the batteries?