Thrunite drop in died.

xian13

Newly Enlightened
I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but my grandpa always said the only stupid question is the one you don't ask, so here goes. I have a Thrunite drop in for my SF 6P. It's an XML 3 mode 3-9 volt. It just died. It sits by my bedside, gets used for 30 seconds every other night or so. And it just died. Are these things rebuildable? Recyclable? Or do I just scrap it?:(

Last edited by a moderator:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Re: What do I do with it?

How did it die? You could try swapping out the driver if the LED is still fine. Of course, try new batteries first :p

xian13

Newly Enlightened
New batteries, swapped out the head and tail cap for the original, all that. I just picked it up and tried to click it on- it just would not work. Swapped in the P60 incan bulb- lit right up in all configurations. Like I said- this drop in only has a ,limited amount of time on it- maybe 10-15 minutes, tops. I'm just puzzled, I guess. I realize I have a lot to learn about flashlights, for a fact.:)
ETA: I wouldn't even begin to know how to swap out the driver. I know Jack about electronics.

Last edited by a moderator:

xian13

Newly Enlightened
Can you claim warranty?

Norm
Probably not- got it off of eBay. I'll just chalk it up to lesson learned- I got what I paid for. I was aiming for a cheap Surefire 6P build, and the drop in was cheap. ($15.00, IIRC) I believe I will save my money and perhaps purchase a Malkoff, or a similar product, from an authorized dealer. All suggestions are welcome.
P.S. Thanks for the title edit.

xian13

Newly Enlightened
Probably not- got it off of eBay. I'll just chalk it up to lesson learned- I got what I paid for. I was aiming for a cheap Surefire 6P build, and the drop in was cheap. ($15.00, IIRC) I believe I will save my money and perhaps purchase a Malkoff, or a similar product, from an authorized dealer. All suggestions are welcome.
P.S. Thanks for the title edit.
After some research, it appears I purchased the drop in from Lighthound last february. I have an e-mail into them asking them for manufactures info.

eg1977

Newly Enlightened
I purchased a Thrunite 3 mode XP-G dropin on ebay once, it lasted 30 seconds before it died.

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was a bit surprised hearing it was a Thrunite...only because my TN XM-L drop in is almost two years old and still running great in my 6P. Mine is a single mode however.

Are you using the outside diameter spring that it came with? I discovered that my Thrunite fit better without it.

Last edited:

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you can't afford the $55+ for a Malkoff (they have blems available for $30 but they do not have a warranty), try a Nailbender drop in with potting and copper tape. They are held in high regard on the forum.

flashlight chronic

Enlightened
I have a Thrunite 3 mode XML drop-in that I bought last year for my Solarforce L2P and it works fine w/ no problems. Good output and nice tint. Check to make sure you are getting proper body contact (ground) w/ the drop-in. The large outer spring may not fit in the Surefire 6P, so you may have to wrap the module w/ aluminum tape or strips so it fits snugly in the body.

xian13

Newly Enlightened
I have a Thrunite 3 mode XML drop-in that I bought last year for my Solarforce L2P and it works fine w/ no problems. Good output and nice tint. Check to make sure you are getting proper body contact (ground) w/ the drop-in. The large outer spring may not fit in the Surefire 6P, so you may have to wrap the module w/ aluminum tape or strips so it fits snugly in the body.
I tried the spring, w/o the spring (large One) and it still doesn't work. It's so weird- I just used it the night before last, set it down, picked it up yesterday and it doesn't work.