Thrunite TN35 (MT-G2, 3x18650) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO and more!

drgn

Newly Enlightened
I have the TN-30 in Neutral and the TN-32. I'm trying to decide between this light and the new Catapult V5 in Neutral. Does anyone know where I can get some beamshots of the TN-30 vs the TN-35? I'm afraid this light won't be that much different from the TN-30 in real use. I know it will throw a little further, but is it really worth it to spend the money on it. On the other hand, if I get the Catapult V5, I will at least have an all together different flashlight than I have already, plus the diffuser option on the Catapult V5 looks very nice. I know it doesn't put out the same amount of light as the TN-35 does. Hard decisions to make. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Martin L

Newly Enlightened
I´ve been using the TN35 shining around in the garden, looking at long distans trees and used it quite alot indoors as well for about 3 months. My 2 cents are:

Minus: It´s on the heavy / large side of a flash light. It feels like you are holding a tank and you can easily use it as a weapon... It´s unconfortable to put it in your front pocket and make it stay there, not falling to the ground, when you need to use both of your hands. You don´t wanna drop this light... Using the lanyard is not an option, it´s too much weight hanging around. The spacing between 380, 950, 1600 and 2750 are too many. Why do they put in so many steps..!!! I don´t get it!!! I don´t need the 950 nor the 1600. The steps are too small... 0,3 / 24 / 380 / 2750 had been a winner IMHO and takes you to 2750 faster. You don´t want the off around max and strobe setting. It should have been. Strobe, Off, L1, L2, L3, L4 (like Vostro). Actually the strobe could have been hidden as well. If you want to put on the light without blinding your self and let the hole neighborhood know that you are out in the garden sneaking around and let them know you are a true flashaholic, you must use two hands, one holding the light, and the other press the rear button to turn the light on/off... This is not practical.

Plus: The quality is flawless. The control ring is a treat to handle, smooth and with clicks on every setting, and I love to adjust the output up and down, to suit the situation, with one hand. "Moonlight" on a light like this is to travel in 60 km/h in a Ferrari, but i love the feeling that you have the juice if you want to. The big jump between 24 and 380 is actually OK. I thought it would be a gigantic step, but nope, it´s useful when you want to peak at something on a medium distance quickly going from closer surroundings. Momentary and let you choose output before putting the light on. The tint... Oh, do not forget the beautiful tint!!! This makes you smile when you turn it on and do your little white wall hunting that you can´t resist if you are a true flashaholic. From the spill to the hot spot is even with the same neutral white color. Only Nichia can compete what I know... The beam is very practical. A large nice spill area and a lovely BIG corona surrounding the sharp hot spot. This big corona, by the way, is what make this light more useful than a true thrower. You can say it´s like a 3 layer beam very similar to the SWM D40A. I have made comparison as I own both of them.

The bottom line: As it is so similar to my other pocketable "thrower" SWM D40A, I might sell the TN35. It does not make up for the extra lumens and weight/size that I thought it would. I can sacrifice the lumens. It may perhaps reach 50-100 m extra in good conditions. But, the tint is something that the SWM neutral doesn´t even come close to… Do I have the b_lls to sell it… I will most probably regret it and miss the light… Hmmm, we´ll see.

Edit: 01-10-2014. Well... I had the b_lls to sell the TN35... I don´t really miss the light, but I sure miss the beautiful tint and the lovely beam profile. One of the best if you ask me... My hunt goes on towards a smaller MT-G2... Perhaps will the SX25L3 be a good choice for me as Selfbuilt mention to me below. The tube/size, tint and UI will fit me, but I will surely loose a lot of throw. The battle in this case goes around throw vs size... The size did matter to me after all and made me sell the light. If I can´t wear a light I can´t use a light. These last words will end my "review" of this light:whistle:

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
The bottom line: As it is so similar to my other pocketable "thrower" SWM D40A, I might sell the TN35. It does not make up for the extra lumens and weight/size that I thought it would. I can sacrifice the lumens. It may perhaps reach 50-100 m extra in good conditions. But, the tint is something that the SWM neutral doesn´t even come close to… Do I have the b_lls to sell it… I will most probably regret it and miss the light… Hmmm, we´ll see.
Thanks for sharing.

Yes, the SWM D40A is a very nice light, and likely more than enough for most uses. But the TN35 does have a great beam profile, with that large reflector and MT-G2 emitter. I've grown attached to that beam profile as well. Something intermediate in size - like the Eagletac SX25L3 - might appeal (although it still fairly heavy, and won't throw as well as the TN35).

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
What has a better flood TN35 or Fenix TK75?
Kind of depends on how exactly you define flood. The TK75 has a wider spillbeam than the TN35 - but it also has greater throw. The end result is that the TN35 has a brighter spillbeam in places - it just doesn't extend as wide. The TN35 has a smoother transition from hotspot to spill, so many would consider that a key factor for flood.

mckeand13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is the TN35 being replaced by the TN36? All distributors seem to be out of stock of the TN35 and it's no longer on the Thrunite website.

I sure hope not.

curlysir

Newly Enlightened
Is the TN35 being replaced by the TN36? All distributors seem to be out of stock of the TN35 and it's no longer on the Thrunite website.

I sure hope not.

This flashlight seems to have disappeared from the market. I read the reviews and started looking for it and can not find it anywhere.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
This flashlight seems to have disappeared from the market. I read the reviews and started looking for it and can not find it anywhere.
I don't know what Thrunite's plans are, but it does seem like they are moving through models relatively quickly. FYI, I will be reviewing the TN36 shortly, but it is a different beast (i.e., more a competitor of the Niwalker MM15 and MM18, with even higher output in compact form).

If you can't find the TN35, something like the Eagletac MX25L3 Turbo might fit the bill (MT-G2 version). I haven't reviewed that model, but performance should be similar to the SX25L3 that I have reviewed, with a comparable beam profile to the TN35.

curlysir

Newly Enlightened
I don't know what Thrunite's plans are, but it does seem like they are moving through models relatively quickly. FYI, I will be reviewing the TN36 shortly, but it is a different beast (i.e., more a competitor of the Niwalker MM15 and MM18, with even higher output in compact form).

If you can't find the TN35, something like the Eagletac MX25L3 Turbo might fit the bill (MT-G2 version). I haven't reviewed that model, but performance should be similar to the SX25L3 that I have reviewed, with a comparable beam profile to the TN35.

Thanks for the reply. The TN36 is not what I am looking for. Will take a look at the MX25L3.

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
The MX25L3 is a great light and noticeably more compact than the TN35. If you want more throw with the MT-G2 and the TN35 is still not available, Acebeam has a model that is almost the same in dimensions, UI, and performance. You can find a thread on it in CPFMarketplace under Acebeam's subforum.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Acebeam has a model that is almost the same in dimensions, UI, and performance. You can find a thread on it in CPFMarketplace under Acebeam's subforum.
Yes, a good suggestion - I have typically found very similar features and performance of Acebeam (formerly Supbeam) and Thrunite lights.

ven

Flashaholic
Its a great light S&R ,nice UI and a cracking tint! I find the modes well spaced to,which is a bonus these days:) Nice big deep reflector to house one of my fav leds

Always the acbeam k40m to

gopajti

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks review selfbuilt,

one of my favourite flashlight in this time, beautiful neutral white tint, excellent throw capable, simple UI, easy to use with one hand, no pwm or other flickering, ultra low mode, well spaced modes, very high build quality etc

Thank you so much for the feedback and support ven and gopajti. I did the logical thing and ordered one from hkequipment for 10 less than Amazon. Have bought from them before and experience was superb, like the light.

Received my TN35 today from hkequipment. Perfect. Lens crystal clear. Reflector crystal clear. AR coating flawless. Control ring clicks solidly into place at every level and no looseness. Tail button perfect. Internals including battery carrier perfect. Anodizing finish flawless. Beam no dim spot. Has a secondary hotspot Great. Tint white. Firefly mode as useful as my TN36 NW firefly mode. Cree MT-G2 emitter definitely has the most perfect white neutral tint. Perfection at last.