Thrunite TN42

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, I agree about the side switch vs. tail switch on big lights. I have both a K50vn and the TN42 and I do like and prefer the side switch on the TN42. The rotary control on the K50vn is nice but I do prefer the sideswitch to the rotary control and tail switch.

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
The K70 offers the best of both worlds.

It has a "Standby" position on the control ring, flanked by Turbo and Strobe.

Click the tail switch On, the control ring on Standby, and you have Instant access to On/Off, Turbo and Strobe [all via a slight twist of the control ring]. No need to use the tail switch.

Under hard use [and abuse] and/or high stress situations, the K70's magnetic control ring will be more reliable and more intuitive than the complicated UI electronic side switch on the TN42.

Last edited:

Theodore41

Enlightened

Click the tail switch On, the control ring on Standby, and you have Instant access to On/Off, Turbo and Strobe.

Under hard use [and abuse] the K70's magnetic control ring will be far more reliable than the side switch on the TN42.

I agree,but it is true that I can't press the tail switch in a hurry with my thumb,only with my index finger,which is not easy.

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast

Click the tail switch On, the control ring on Standby, and you have Instant access to On/Off, Turbo and Strobe [all via a slight twist of the control ring]. No need to use the tail switch.

Under hard use [and abuse] and/or high stress situations, the K70's magnetic control ring will be more reliable and more intuitive than the complicated UI electronic side switch on the TN42.

The K50 rotary ring works the same way as the K70 FYI. It is a good design for sure, but I still prefer the side switch of the TN42. I find no problem finding the switch of the TN42, and can access moonlight and turbo from off or the last mode used. It was well thought out, too. Both have true tactical applications and abilities.

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
It does sound well thought out.

I'm excited to get the TN42 and try it out.

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast

BTW, this UI has been copied from TN32. Strange that Thrunite didn't use it for its new lights.

Theodore41

Enlightened
I come back because I found another kind of holding the light and turning it on.
I press the tail switch before leaving my house,and I put the ring to the neutral place,ie where it is not lighting. When it is time to turn the light on,I turn the ring with my thumb.One right click,and I have strobe mode,one left click,and I have turbo mode.

Last edited:

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
I come back because I found another kind of holding the light and turning it on.
I press the tail switch before leaving my house,and I put the ring to the neutral place,ie where it is not lighting. When it is time to turn the light on,I turn the ring with my thumb.One right click,and I have strobe mode,one left click,and I have turbo mode.

Which light are you talking about? The TN42 has a side-switch only and not a control ring and tail-switch like the TN32 or Acebeam variants.

Theodore41

Enlightened
Which light are you talking about? The TN42 has a side-switch only and not a control ring and tail-switch like the TN32 or Acebeam variants.

You are wright,this was about K70.It was something like a comparison between this and TN42,and I wrote about the ease of handling and using them,as I have them both, in a hurry as self defense.

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are wright,this was about K70.It was something like a comparison between this and TN42,and I wrote about the ease of handling and using them,as I have them both, in a hurry as self defense.

Ok, that's a good comparison. That is also a nice UI design. I have a K50vn and also had a TN31mb, which both use the same UI as the K70. It is well thought out.

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
did you ever get that tn42?

Yes. But after using it several times, I had the same feelings about the light that my buddy did.

I prefer the wider beam pattern, more compact size, and control ring UI of the K70.

Although it was an awesome light, it just wasn't for me.

Last edited:

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got my TN42vn two days ago. Beam profile/beam performance is similar to my K70vn.

How the user interfaces, switches, and other features of the physical lights themselves differ is not important to me. More important to me is the beam profile/beam performance.

Of course, these two items have similar beam profile/beam performance, with the slightly larger light having a tighter beam with some more light on the center of the target. Not a lot more, just some more.

The type of beam that these lights put out is very exciting. It is nice to have both of these lights; they complement each other very nicely. Differences in UI and switching make the duo more interesting to have and behold. My advice is to buy and have both.

RBH

Newly Enlightened
I've got a TN32vn, XPG2, 500 K lux, would I see an easily noticeable increase in down range illumination, (500-600 yards), with the stock TN42, or the TN42vn ?

SG Hall

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got a TN32vn, XPG2, 500 K lux, would I see an easily noticeable increase in down range illumination, (500-600 yards), with the stock TN42, or the TN42vn ?

Good question! I can only help with the TN32UTvn with XPL PDT, which is 400k Lux, and there is a noticeable benefit with the 42vn. The XPG2 is a pencil beam, and a nice one too ( I had that one and swapped it for the XPL to make it more usable in my situation). The glare factor is inevitable though, so it can reduce the perception of light in the distance when you jump from 8-900 lumens up to 2000+. Easily noticeable? I suspect yes, but it might depend on the person a bit. [emoji4]

RBH

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the reply, I know what you mean about glare, if the air is very humid, a big bright beam can definitely be counterproductive.

hahoo

Enlightened
water tower at 700 yards

control

33179445046_1de8504595_b.jpg

tk61, around 500k luk

33158712996_c336c82916_h.jpg

32817977280_886a73d54f_h.jpg

tn42vn, 780k lux

32294985154_7b484265d2_h.jpg

33013393261_e8c547f7de_h.jpg

Latest posts