Thrunite TN4A (XP-L V6, 4xAA) review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO and more!

kooter

Enlightened
Just bought one direct from Thrunite, £38.00 shipped to the UK. Been looking at these 4AAs for a while and this is looking good and much cheaper than the rest.

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
NOW it has a place for lanyard! :sigh: I just bought one of these a month or so ago. I like the light, but would have loved to been able to attach a lanyard. I wonder if they fixed the problem with not being able to fit high capacity AA's in the light without them getting stuck? I wonder if I can get a replacement bottom and battery carrier for it (assuming it is different)? :thinking:

....oh and Im still convinced there is NO glare coating on my lens...
I sympathize with you CelticCross74. I just received my ThruNite(R) TN36 NW and it does not seem to have that same pink hue on the lens reflection as my Mini TN30 and TN4A.

ThruNite© customer service was very responsive and helpful and answered my email. Top notch!

I never bought a Catapault but am very thankful i got in on this new TN series. The beam on these is nothing short of amazing! The beam on my TN36 is magical.

Thanks

Last edited:

joshjp

Enlightened
Just ordered this light, im going to return my ThruNite Archer 2a V2, as they switched the light up, i wanted the one with the OP reflector, so this should be an awsome 4AA light, also i ordered 4 PowerEx Imedion AA batts.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Usually glare coatings on LED flashlight lenses have a purple tint to them. This is a standard LED light glare coat although it is hard to keep clean it does help light transmit through the lens. LED light glare coats can also be different colors. The green tinted glare coating Armytek uses is the highest grade LED light glare coating Ive yet to see on a light. The difference is how easy it is to keep the lens clean and how hydrophobic and scratch resistant the coating is. The green tint Armytek glare coat is true optical rx grade glare coating and must cost Armytek a fortune to put on their lights. As an optician I am very surprised LED light manufacturers dont offer different levels of glare coating quality like is offered in the rx eyeglass world. Id pay the premium for highest quality most scratch resistant glare coatings with teflon in it.

Powerex Imedions will fit the TN4A mine do as do Eneloop Pros. It took a LOT of banging and tapping but I finally got the stuck battery carrier out of my TN4A and pulled the fat 2700mah Powerex cells and put the Eneloop Pros back in. Despite the diffuse hot spot that I dont like the TN4A is still the baddest 4xAA out there. The runtime on turbo is unreal I have yet to have the thermal sensor trip to step it down. This light is SO good that Im ordering the new NW XM-L2 version which shouldnt have the tint shifting problem of the X-PL...hopefully the battery carrier has been tweaked and this one comes with the advertised glare coating....

joshjp

Enlightened
Powerex Imedions will fit the TN4A mine do as do Eneloop Pros. It took a LOT of banging and tapping but I finally got the stuck battery carrier out of my TN4A and pulled the fat 2700mah Powerex cells and put the Eneloop Pros back in. Despite the diffuse hot spot that I dont like the TN4A is still the baddest 4xAA out there. The runtime on turbo is unreal I have yet to have the thermal sensor trip to step it down. This light is SO good that Im ordering the new NW XM-L2 version which shouldnt have the tint shifting problem of the X-PL...hopefully the battery carrier has been tweaked and this one comes with the advertised glare coating....
Thanks for the answer, im glad you got them out, and im glad my batts will work.

joshjp

Enlightened
Just got it today, i will test it out later at work, my Imedions fit perfect...YAY, but as of now the light feel great, i have small hands so it fits perfectly.

fcbrian

Newly Enlightened
I have the NW version coming tomorrow . The pic shows it with the lanyard but who knows.

The bad news is I ordered a 4 pack of Powerex 2700s with it that probably won't fit, from what I just read in this thread.:sigh: FRANK!!!!!!

We'll find out tomorrow.

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
Usually glare coatings on LED flashlight lenses have a purple tint to them. This is a standard LED light glare coat although it is hard to keep clean it does help light transmit through the lens. LED light glare coats can also be different colors. The green tinted glare coating Armytek uses is the highest grade LED light glare coating Ive yet to see on a light. The difference is how easy it is to keep the lens clean and how hydrophobic and scratch resistant the coating is. The green tint Armytek glare coat is true optical rx grade glare coating and must cost Armytek a fortune to put on their lights. As an optician I am very surprised LED light manufacturers dont offer different levels of glare coating quality like is offered in the rx eyeglass world. Id pay the premium for highest quality most scratch resistant glare coatings with teflon in it.

thanks for posting this! I didn't realize different flashlight makers used much too different coatings. That is awesome Armytek uses good stuff!

fcbrian

Newly Enlightened
Good news!!! . My TN4A NW showed up today as promised, along with a 4 pack of Powerex 2700s (in retail blisterpack) . This light does have the lanyard hole AND.............drumroll..........the carrier full of 2700s dropped in with plenty of clearance.(will rattle a little without the cap on ). I may even try an over stretched flat rubber band or thin o-ring around the batts to snug em up. Although there is no rattle once closed. THESE batteries are tough to get out of carrier because of length, once the first one is out, you can pop the rest out from the inside.

I had planned on removing the shrink tube on the "carrier cage rods"( i don't know the proper term)
or boring the tube to make room for fat batts, but no need to.
Thanks Thrunite !:D

For you guys that had tight fits with the early version, I did measure the bore at 36.5mm and the rods at 4.5mm. I don't know which dimension they changed from the earlier version to make room for bigger batts.

Also, on my light the base/bottom of the tail cap is 4.5mm thick, for those that may want to somehow modify their lights for a lanyard connection.

It runs great, great spill and 100 yd steel targets were lit up real nice for a little 4xAA light. The NW tint looks good to me.

It's a keeper .

Brian

Bulb-boi

Newly Enlightened
Good news!!! . My TN4A NW showed up today as promised, along with a 4 pack of Powerex 2700s (in retail blisterpack) . This light does have the lanyard hole AND.............drumroll..........the carrier full of 2700s dropped in with plenty of clearance.(will rattle a little without the cap on ). I may even try an over stretched flat rubber band or thin o-ring around the batts to snug em up. Although there is no rattle once closed. THESE batteries are tough to get out of carrier because of length, once the first one is out, you can pop the rest out from the inside.

I had planned on removing the shrink tube on the "carrier cage rods"( i don't know the proper term)
or boring the tube to make room for fat batts, but no need to.
Thanks Thrunite !:D

For you guys that had tight fits with the early version, I did measure the bore at 36.5mm and the rods at 4.5mm. I don't know which dimension they changed from the earlier version to make room for bigger batts.

Also, on my light the base/bottom of the tail cap is 4.5mm thick, for those that may want to somehow modify their lights for a lanyard connection.

It runs great, great spill and 100 yd steel targets were lit up real nice for a little 4xAA light. The NW tint looks good to me.

It's a keeper .

Brian

That's great to hear, Brian. I have a TN4A NW on order from Amazon that hasn't shipped yet and was also concerned about the bigger batts. I was somewhat resolved to use the regular eneloop 2000's and ordered a 4-pack of those along with it in hopes that Thrunite would eventually resolve the issue, but it seems as though they may have already addressed it. Do you think yours is actually a different sized carrier than previous owners here? (BTW, I am a newbie here and this is my FIRST quality flashlight purchase. Please be gentle... ;))

fcbrian

Newly Enlightened
Do you think yours is actually a different sized carrier than previous owners here? (BTW, I am a newbie here and this is my FIRST quality flashlight purchase. Please be gentle... ;))

Bul-boi, First and most importantly congrats on your first purchase. Seek help NOW :crazy:

I don't know what they changed. I'm hoping someone with the old version checks vs. the measurements I made of mine.
I see that you ordered the NW as well. Funny thing I noticed that on Amazon , the NW is Thrunite direct , while the CW was through Amazon and $6 more??

BTW, as you can see I'm new to CPF as well, but I do have a small stable of what I consider good quality lights from single AAAs to quad 650s.
Flashlights are like beer. I like em all but I like some better than others!

Anyway I think its a great light and value. I hope it shows up early so you have time to charge those loops........or have 4 alks ready just for kicks :D. And remember, pretty FIRM clicks, and quick for turbo.

Brian.

Bulb-boi

Newly Enlightened
Uh oh... Maybe that's why it's taking so long... Chinese New Year? I did notice it was cheaper but I didn't notice the seller was TN. TN says closed for business until "next month" but Amazon site says delivery will be between 2/17 and 2/21? Oh well, sounds like it's worth the wait. I was more worried about getting the lanyard and I figured that, since the NW was a later release it was more likely to have that. (Plus the $6) Keep us posted on your experience with it. And, yes, I just needed to replace an old Maglite so I went online to do some research. I had no idea what I was getting into!