Tiablo ACE-G & A10-G Reviews: Massive detailed comparison thread!

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
these are geared more towards weaponlights.. I think flood would be better in that case.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I think the important thing is for people to know what they are getting - the revised ACE-G is definitely much more of a flood light than a spotlight. It seems as if the original ACE had a more "traditional" M-CE reflector, so I can see why people might be surprised.

Personally, I like the floodier option. I typically keep one thrower and one floodier light on the corner of my desk, to be easily accessible when needed. Originally, those spots were held by my Lumapower MRV (later my RaidFire Spear) and my Surefire L2 LuxV (later my JetBeam Jet-III ST). After I was done testing these lights, the A10-G and ACE-G (single 18650 configuration) replaced both of the those lights (well, ok, I've kept the ST around for its small size :kiss:). Now that I'm finishing testing of the JetBeam M1X, it may replace the A10G ... we'll see.

ergotelis

Enlightened
Selfbuilt, first of all nice review!As always of course! :twothumbs

But, i read a review of that light too in light reviews and Mev is reading 15000 lux. That difference is rather high considering that in many other flashlights both are getting almost the same lux readings. So, is there any case your Tiablo to be defective or the other supercharged?Seems to strange to me, something is going wrong.. :thinking:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
But, i read a review of that light too in light reviews and Mev is reading 15000 lux. That difference is rather high considering that in many other flashlights both are getting almost the same lux readings. So, is there any case your Tiablo to be defective or the other supercharged?Seems to strange to me, something is going wrong.. :thinking:
That difference may not be as great as it seems. For this review, my lux measures were taken at 5m and calculated back to 1m (to allow space for the beams to converge), which may be giving a slightly lower calculated lux at 1m.

But I am also waiting at least 2 mins on the ACE-G runs to allow the light to come to steady-state regulated value (I've just revised my review text to make that point clearer). Initial output on a fully charged 18650 was well over 13K lux on my light meter, decaying to under 8K lux after 2 mins.

In addition to testing methods, when you factor in individual differences of emitters, reflectors, light-meters, etc., it is quite possible to see significant variation from one review to the next. Based on the overall output and runtime, I think my sample ACE-G is performing within expected parameters.

EDIT: P.S.: also keep in mind that lux is a non-linear scale in relation to output. To compare two lights, you should look at the square-root of lux (i.e. "throw") to account for the inverse-square decay over distance. In that sense, the drop I observed from 13K+ lux to under 8K lux over 2 mins is only a ~22% reduction in "throw". This is very consistent with the ~16% drop in output my lightbox is reporting over this time.

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
FYI, I've just updated the first post with some extra low exposure outdoor beamshots for multi-emitter lights, and included the JetBeam M1X in the runtimes and summary chart for this section.

Eventually I hope do to a multi-emitter round-up review (once I get a few more samples in). In the meantime, please continue to check out my newer multi-emitter reviews as they come out - the ACE-G will always be included in with the runtimes and summary tables in those reviews. :)

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
UPDATE: I have just been informed by Tiablo that all shipping versions of the ACE-G will have a revised circuit with increased output.

Apparently, from my testing numbers and comparisons of the pre-production model, they realized that the output wasn't as high as they had intended. So they have revised the circuit to increase brightness. This new circuit is included on all ACE-G shipping lights, and a sample is on its way to me to test.

I will update this review with the shipping version results as soon as I receive it and run through the tests.
:wave:

Ryanrpm

Enlightened
So they have revised the circuit to increase brightness....and a sample is on its way to me to test.
:wave:

So it is an increase in the driving amperage perhaps? Can you let us know what it is if/when you find out?

Thanks!

MIKES250R

Enlightened
Wow what a great review! The more I try my hand at low light photography the more your beamshots continue to impress me. Overall your main points and thoughts are clearly organized and well written. I appreciate you trying to remain as objective as possible. Thanks for the write up-well done!

Mike

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
MAJOR UPDATE!

Based on the comparison results presented here, Tiablo realized that there was an issue with the output on the pre-production ACE-G. They were able to revise the circuit before shipping out any of the lights, and have sent me a revised module to test. I have revised the main post with new pics and runtimes, but here is a quick summary of the changes:

Note: the original results are identified as "Pre-Prod" in the chart/graphs below, and the new actually shipping version as "Ship".

M1X-Summary-1.gif

ACE-Runtimes.gif

:caution:The results speak for themselves - nearly a 50% increase in output with no change (or an improvement!) in runtime. :caution:
:party:
Further, the regulation has been enhanced - there is no longer a steep drop-off over the first few minutes.

I am very impressed with the performance of this new circuit, and with Tiablo's commitment to insuring that all shipping lights contain the revised circuit. Well done! :thumbsup:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
That's a startling improvement. Good work by them, and very quick, too.
Yes, I was quite surprised myself at both the magnitude of change and the speed with which they pulled this off. :eek:oo:

I suspect the runtimes here and elsewhere showing rapid drop-off in output was their first tip-off that something was wrong. But I think it was the direct output comparison to other lights of this class that confirmed for them that the output wasn't where it was supposed to be.

In a way, this is similar with what happened with the NiteCore EZAA - my low mode comparisons showed it only had less than half the expected output, but equivalent runtime to lights that were 3 times as bright. Although NiteCore had already started shipping, they were able to quickly issue the recall before their main dealer had a chance to ship many unit out.

I think these examples illustrate the "good business practice" of sending pre-production lights to reviewers who can evaluate against other standard members of the same class. I'm just glad that Tiablo could get this fix done so quickly, and before any ACE-G lights actually shipped.

Given that the ACE-G is a single-stage only light, I'm glad to see they have managed to get the output and efficiency up to such a high level. :thumbsup:

Ryanrpm

Enlightened
Nice job on Tiablo's part!

Do you happen to know what the drive current is now on the shipping ACE-G?

daveman

Enlightened
I'm waiting for your review of the M30, selfbuilt.

Please include comparison shots with the ACE.

bilatos

Newly Enlightened
I'm also waiting for a comparison between them, like a view of yours, you found the m1x much higher than Ace-G? Thanks​

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I'm also waiting for a comparison between them, like a view of yours, you found the m1x much higher than Ace-G? Thanks​
The M30 review will be posted soon. The M1X was much brighter than the pre-production ACE-G I was sent - but the revised circuit that is on all shipping versions is as brighter as the M1X (in fact, slightly brighter in my testing, shown above). The M1X still has the best throw of the class.

bilatos

Newly Enlightened
In your opinion, you think the new Eagletac M2 will take the place of M1x?
Sorry for my English, which is not the best, greetings.​

Last edited:

Latest posts